• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Live Match Discussion 2017/18

I don't think any coaching would've stopped that goal, it's all on Bellerin's lack of awareness, there were two players behind him as he started to push out but even when they lose possession and he starts to track back he doesn't make any attempt to check where those players are, it's just a token effort to amble back into some sort of defensive position. As you often see with the likes of Wilshere and Ramsey in midfield, they've just got no discipline, all they ever want to do is go forward and they have no interest in thinking about the other side of the game.

The mentality of that whole side is awful, it's like a kids team that just wants to do the 'fun' part of the game and nothing sensible or practical.

You could have sailed a liner through their defence, awful by Bellerin but if the defence had retained its shape that pass from Griezmann wouldn’t even have been on.

I don't think any coaching would've stopped that goal, it's all on Bellerin's lack of awareness, there were two players behind him as he started to push out but even when they lose possession and he starts to track back he doesn't make any attempt to check where those players are, it's just a token effort to amble back into some sort of defensive position. As you often see with the likes of Wilshere and Ramsey in midfield, they've just got no discipline, all they ever want to do is go forward and they have no interest in thinking about the other side of the game.

The mentality of that whole side is awful, it's like a kids team that just wants to do the 'fun' part of the game and nothing sensible or practical.

If they'd drilled it in to Bellerin over the last two, three, four years that in that situation you tuck in, then it might have helped.

But they evidently never bother with all that shit.

You could have sailed a liner through their defence, awful by Bellerin but if the defence had retained its shape that pass from Griezmann wouldn’t even have been on.

If they'd drilled it in to Bellerin over the last two, three, four years that in that situation you tuck in, then it might have helped.

His starting position wasn't that bad, it's his lack of reaction when the ball goes long to Griezmann down the other side of the pitch, the rest of the back four drop but Bellerin doesn't go quick enough so the gap opens up and then because he's ball watching he doesn't realise that Costa is already coasting into the big gap so it's too late to do anything about it by the time he finally has a look.

Even airhead Mustafi managed to drop and move across when the ball first went long, Bellerin just didn't have the awareness to go with them or look where any danger might be, it's an appalling mindset for a defender.

If Nuno can do it with Doc, a new coach can do with Bellerin, I'm sure!

I think there is plenty of talent in this Arsenal squad that just needs a much better (as in better individuals and better coached) defence. That and a holding midfielder.

get the right manager/coaching team in and the transition doesn't have to be as bad as it may do.

Good play by Ozil again. If he turned up in the big game he'd have been on the end of his own pass. Poor from him.

Salzburg make it two nil. They are having a great run this season. The coaches are the same one who won the UEFA Youth League with their u19s last season. One to keep an eye on

When’s Diego Costa signing for Wolves. He’s been incredible

Arsenal just looked knackered now.

They've had the ball in decent positions plenty of times after the break but it's so hard to create clear cut chances against Atletico. How quickly they regroup is incredible.

They've had the ball in decent positions plenty of times after the break but it's so hard to create clear cut chances against Atletico. How quickly they regroup is incredible.

Yep. They are showing everyone how to defend, amazing organisation.

I think like those Arsenal teams they can play when they want to, if they require a bit of flair to get into a dominant position in a game then it's there. It's just that they shut down games totally at 1-0 or 2-0. Of course if you can, why wouldn't you...

We're not talking Allardyce/Pulis stuff here where the 0-0 comes first and any invention or use of the ball is strictly forbidden.

Depends what you want from football I suppose, personally I'd actively go out of my way to not watch Graham-era Arsenal or Atletico.

If I'm watching football, other than wolves, I want to be entertained. I don't want to be so bored I actively contemplate nail clipping.

From a coaching perspective, I find them quite interesting to analyse but I agree that in terms of entertainment, you wouldn't want to be watching that every week, as good as Atletico generally are at it!

Defending in the manner that Atletico is a huge skill in itself (and again, a world away from what Allardyce does, no matter how much the fat prick deludes himself otherwise). I can appreciate that so long as the games themselves aren't a tiresome drudge. I wouldn't say it was dull tonight?

You could argue that under Nuno we kill games at 2-0 quite regularly. We'll sit right off and let the opposition have the ball, then it's so hard to break us down because we have good defensive players down the middle of the park who have been organised properly.

I get that it's a skill, but to me it's just not entertaining. It's not quite anti-football, but its not what most people want to watch.

Today's game wasn't that dull, but that's more because (wenger's) arsenal were arsenal.

Agree. There have been many games where I've wanted us to really thrash a team when 2-0 up and looking comfortable and then we just kill the game. Nuno's approach is particularly interesting I find, with the mid-press and the traps we often set in wide areas.

Not sure what game everyone watched! Atleti looked threatening going forward all game and looked dangerous in the final third. Could have score 2 or 3 all but some last ditch defending and never looked remotely threatened bar some fluke from Arsenal. Didn’t particular see the game as like watching us under Lambert.

Back