• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Lettuce Liz then Tetchy Rish! and the battle to replace him

As usual though, the BBC (and others) are putting the management side forward without the full facts

I read some diseengenuous bollocks off the Beeb the other day, complete with picture of some melt the theme was basically 'Christmas ruined, sons crying, thanks rail workers' with the following excerpt

Some 40,000 workers that are members of the UK's biggest rail union, the RMT, will walk out in series of strikes across across four 48-hour periods - on 13-14 December, 16-17 December, 3-4 January and 6-7 January. Disruption is likely on the days around the strikes as well
A section of rail workers who are employed by Network Rail, will also down tools from 18:00 GMT on 24 December until 27 December.

Yet there's always been a reduced timetable on Christmas Eve and nothing on Christmas/Boxing Day. Conflating Christmas shut down with the industrial action to stir anti strike sentiment. Cunts.

Another MP suspended after a complaint to the Met.

The Party of Law & Order strike again.
Something not right about this. Obviously nobody knows what the complainant is but given Sunak didn't take the whip off Mone, Johnson didn't remove the whip from Bridgen, Elphick or Francois who were all under police investigation this feels like politics rather than party judgement.

The public sector pay argument is an interesting one capturing the headlines, but the private sector isn't dishing out inflation equaling rises either, because it's not sustainable. The inflationary pressures being borne on the employee is also hitting the employer trying to pass as little as possible onto the consumer, because they can't afford it. It's an ever tightening spiral and I don't know what the answer is to be honest.
conversely, the private sector hasn't essentially frozen pay for nigh on 12 years, which is what much of the public sector have had to put up with.
Also worth bearing in mind that much of the public sector was deemed critical work, and had to do a fuck tonne of stuff in response to covid. This meant a lot were doing longer days, sometimes 7 day weeks, sometimes whilst combining this with home schooling their kids etc.
I get, and agree it isn't sustainable. Equally, real terms pay cuts year on year, with increasing workloads and responsibilities also isn't sustainable.

Do love it when MP's try to find a positive spin on Food Banks and how they are there for the grand opening of one or showing support by helping out for a good photo op, whilst forgetting why we have so many of the fucking things

So, fair play to Penny here for rebranding Food Banks and making them sound like little businesses she is opening...Food Pantries FFS

Do love it when MP's try to find a positive spin on Food Banks and how they are there for the grand opening of one or showing support by helping out for a good photo op, whilst forgetting why we have so many of the fucking things

So, fair play to Penny here for rebranding Food Banks and making them sound like little businesses she is opening...Food Pantries FFS

*Its like arranging arson attacks and putting buckets of water by each fire and claiming credit for helping.

*I may have stolen this from a quote off of the radio.

Her helping isn't a bad thing, she is there to help her constituents after all but the self publicising of what she is doing doesn't sit right with me as she's been a part of the problem for the last 12 years.

It IS different, in that you have to pay to access them (thus creating another barrier for the most vulnerable). My concern is that they're intercepting some of the food that would be destined to food banks that are already struggling hugely for donations.

My other half works with the food team in the Public Health dept at Bham Council and she said there's more to it than that and is gonna explain how these work later.

Gove hasn't taken over has he?
Three PM's, 3 attempts at Government? It's all the same. Corrupt fuckers trying to do what the fuck they want.
But if thats okay by you then 🤷‍♂️

Three PM's, 3 attempts at Government? It's all the same. Corrupt fuckers trying to do what the fuck they want.
But if thats okay by you then 🤷‍♂️
It's not - It was in jest that it was Gove's turn to have a pop at the top job this month.

As for the Speaker he is right on this occasion but he gets his knickers in a twist at procedural matters but is prepared to ignore the lies, the convention of ministers correcting the records, junior ministers having to defend the indefensible, and clapping a disgraced PM out of the Chamber when the week before he lost his rag at clapping that someone had the balls to call out sexual assaults in a London club.

It IS different, in that you have to pay to access them (thus creating another barrier for the most vulnerable). My concern is that they're intercepting some of the food that would be destined to food banks that are already struggling hugely for donations.

My other half works with the food team in the Public Health dept at Bham Council and she said there's more to it than that and is gonna explain how these work later.
OK, so, my newly acquired, but very basic understanding of them is that they've been around since covid and go by a few different names; food pantry, social supermarket, community food hub etc.

They often run alongside food banks, or have replaced them if the demand is there.

The idea is that it improves people's access to affordable and low cost food. One of the biggest barriers people face in accessing food via food banks is the stigma attached to the perception of receiving handouts. A lot of pride getting in the way. A food pantry removes this barrier whilst still giving people the help they need.

Again, as with food banks, they are not something to be celebrated or tying in with some kind of book promotion 😂

My initial concerns about them diverting food away from food banks are seemingly unfounded as they are quite often only used in areas where food bank usage isnt prolific or has been replaced by a pantry.

There are a lot more serious and pressing concerns surrounding food banks. The Trussell Trust has been running for decades and never before have they struggled for donations at the scale they are now (many factors here - demand is at an all time high, people think covid is over and no longer need to donate, people have less and less disposable income and can't afford to spare food to donate, other uses for food waste are stopping near date food being sent to food banks etc....).

Its a dire situation, so if you can, please keep donating....

Back