• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Lettuce Liz then Tetchy Rish! and the battle to replace him

Government commitment in the last manifesto - 40 new hospitals by 2030.
Action in the intervening period by government to include repairs and refurbishments to older builds and also include 8 hospital builds that had already been started before the policy was dreamt up to get the numbers up. NAO assessment, even with this number padding is that the target will be spectacularly missed with a maximum total of 32 and that includes every method of massaging the figures this bunch of liars have tried.

Health department spokesman comment “we are on target to build 40 new hospitals by 2030”.

Why keep lying when it has been palpably debunked after independent assessment?

Rishi pushes the public sector pay causes inflation argument to lowball the public sector.
IPPR release a report suggesting 10% pay rises for the public sector will have minimal inflationary pressure, & may increase growth.

We're not a poverty stricken country ffs. This "we can't afford x" bullshit is exactly that. Bullshit.
We can afford to give millions to our mates, pub landlords etc, but we can't afford to pay those workers who delivered throughout the pandemic, & continue to do so a fair reflection of their worth. Pretty pathetic that tories constantly trot out the "pay for it" line when they're constantly happy to shake the magic money tree for unfunded tax cuts .

We have people & companies who could fucking easily contribute a fuck ton more cash and tax receipts to society that could & would fund an excellent NHS, education system, transport infrastructure, green economy & so much more.

But we don't, because we (our governments) make terrible ideological choices instead. The means are there to collect the revenues needed to invest in our society, infrastructure and people.

I’m sorry but you can’t just randomly hand out a blanket 10% pay rise across the whole public sector without a rather large money tree.

And I am no longer a fucking Tory.

Let’s just say you hammer all those companies for massive windfall taxes. What do you do when they up sticks to Dublin with their head offices where the corporation tax rate is already lower?

Ireland's an outlier when it comes to corporation tax - if businesses aren't already there, then they aren't going.

And you could double that by enforcing a genuine windfall tax on the excessive profits of energy business over the last year. And pretty soon it will be the banks posting record profits as the interest rate increases that are killing people for no reason will become their golden goose

And you could double that by enforcing a genuine windfall tax on the excessive profits of energy business over the last year. And pretty soon it will be the banks posting record profits as the interest rate increases that are killing people for no reason will become their golden goose
All completely fair points.

But we HAVEN'T done that, so it's fantasy funding for wage increases that you want to make now.

They were looking at it fifteen years ago. I know of at least 15 FTSE 100 outfits that did all the prep. It would be a piece of piss to do. Equally Shell say are dual listed in Amsterdam. Removing the UK listing and making Amsterdam the registered office is not a complex corporate transaction at all.

Anyway, much as I think Sunak is a complete cunt he has (belatedly and begrudgingly) agreed to the 6% that was proposed by the Independent Pay Commission. It’s hardly low-balling just because some other body suggests a different figure.

I’m sorry but you can’t just randomly hand out a blanket 10% pay rise across the whole public sector without a rather large money tree.

And I am no longer a fucking Tory.
It would cost between £15 and £18 billion with about 30% being returned in the form of taxation. The government has already agreed between 6 and 7% and set out how they would fund it….it wouldn’t take a money tree to find another 3 or 4%, just different priorities and political choices.

It also wouldn’t be particularly inflationary, wage costs in the public sector which doesn’t increase its prices as a result of pay increases.

It would also be way in excess of the recommendation of the Independent Pay Commission and political Suicide with their own voter base.

Well they have offered public sector pay recommendations under governments of both colours so not sure what more you want.

They are a branch of the civil service, who are independent politically of the executive in power.

Which works to the remit given to them by said executive.

To a point maybe but the pay review authorities absolutely do not. However, you have this in your head and are sticking with it so I will leave it there as life is too short.

I haven't come up with this myself, the pay review authorities have themselves complained of having their hands tied in the past, and obviously several unions are not happy (GMB being the first that came up after just seconds of googling), so it's not just "in my head".
But yeah, let's just leave it there you patronising prick. 👍

Back