• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2020 transfer window

To clarify I look at our first 11 and ask if they would walk in or be an auto pick in another top 10 premier side.

Rui yes Ruddy no

Boly yes Bennett Coady Saiss no

Doc yes Jonny maybe Vinagre no

Neves Moutinho yes, Donk MGW Jordao no

Traore Raul Jota yes Neto Cutrone no

So to me there are a number of positions that, in the long term, we are looking to improve on. Those should be started on in January.

Playing on the left hand side of defence is like making love to a beautiful woman...
MV5BZGNmOTk0NzItMGNhYy00MWIyLTkzNGQtMWVjNzgyMmE3MDE0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjExODE1MDc@._V1_UY268_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

To clarify I look at our first 11 and ask if they would walk in or be an auto pick in another top 10 premier side.

Rui yes Ruddy no

Boly yes Bennett Coady Saiss no

Doc yes Jonny maybe Vinagre no

Neves Moutinho yes, Donk MGW Jordao no

Traore Raul Jota yes Neto Cutrone no

So to me there are a number of positions that, in the long term, we are looking to improve on. Those should be started on in January.

I think you're being a bit optimistic there, Cyber. I was asking myself the other day how many of our players would get in the Leicester team. 'Not many' was my answer

Well as they set up differently and play totally differently that's hardly a surprise. Flip it, how many Leicester players would get in a full fit Wolves 343?

Leicester seem to be able to trigger our fans this season!

Leicester are a top 4 team in every respect and they have a manager who is as good as our own. They have built a superb squad and won the league only 4 years ago so it's a bit harsh to compare them to us. Their full backs and striker are better than ours but it is the way the Brodge has them playing which is the biggest change.

Having said that Boly plays instead of Evans, Rui for Schmeichel, Neves forNdidi and Jota for Barnes.

Chilwell, Soyuncu, Ndidi, Vardy, Maddison, and possibly Ricardo instead of Doc, would all get into our team.

Chilwell, Soyuncu, Ndidi, Vardy, Maddison, and possibly Ricardo instead of Doc, would all get into our team.
Chilwell Yes instead of Jonny
Soyuncu Yes instead of Saiss (assuming our strongest 11 is Saiss on the left Boly on the right)
Ndidi / Maddison. I'd have Neves and Moutinho over both in a 343
Raul over Vardy for the same reason. Might get in ahead of Jota on the left.
Doc over Perreira as well.
So 2 for me.
Obviously if you have Maddison and Vardy in your team you don't play the way that we do in the formation we do and Perreira is twice the full back Doc will ever be, which just goes to show how facile the argument is

You can't be this simple. Do you think Raul and Jota play in similar positions or have similar roles?

What? Where did I say Raul & Jota play similar roles?

You're saying that Cutrone occupies advanced positions and that Jota / Bowen therefore don't, I think they do

I also think Bowen (and therefore Jota) would get into the same positions and therefore have the same chances that Cutrone would have in the games that Cutrone has played so far (Man City for example)

I'm really not sure why you have such a problem with the statement "Bowen would have scored some of the chances Cutrone had" - do I really need to put the caveat "assuming he got there in the first place, made the same run, arrived at the same time and had the same thing for breakfast and by the way I'm aware that Cutrone plays as a central striker whereas Bowen favours the right-wing / second striker position but that doesn't mean Bowen wouldn't get into the same position a central striker would"

Would much rather have a Jonny than Chilwell personally

What? Where did I say Raul & Jota play similar roles?

You're saying that Cutrone occupies advanced positions and that Jota / Bowen therefore don't, I think they do

I also think Bowen (and therefore Jota) would get into the same positions and therefore have the same chances that Cutrone would have in the games that Cutrone has played so far (Man City for example)

I'm really not sure why you have such a problem with the statement "Bowen would have scored some of the chances Cutrone had" - do I really need to put the caveat "assuming he got there in the first place, made the same run, arrived at the same time and had the same thing for breakfast and by the way I'm aware that Cutrone plays as a central striker whereas Bowen favours the right-wing / second striker position but that doesn't mean Bowen wouldn't get into the same position a central striker would"

I guess you're misunderstanding that Jota and Cutrone are different and that Cutrone and Raul play as a central striker and Jota/ Bowen would not so are unlikely to be in the same position as a central striker. If you still think that then you are watching a different game to me.

If you're arguing that Bowen would be a better finisher than Cutrone I have absolutely no idea how you have come to that conclusion.

I guess you're misunderstanding that Jota and Cutrone are different and that Cutrone and Raul play as a central striker and Jota/ Bowen would not so are unlikely to be in the same position as a central striker. If you still think that then you are watching a different game to me.

If you're arguing that Bowen would be a better finisher than Cutrone I have absolutely no idea how you have come to that conclusion.

I'm aware that Jota and Cutrone are different types of players, that's obvious. What I don't understand is why you think that a chance only fell to Cutrone because he plays a central striker and therefore only central strikers would ever get that chance. I don't think it's that binary, if the player reads the game and understand the play that's more of a factor as to where you will be on the pitch rather than the arbitrary position you occupy. Bowen is intelligent enough to understand where to be on the pitch.

I'm arguing Bowen is a better finisher than Cutrone based upon what I've seen of both players finishing chances and their respective goal returns to date - caveat - I'm also aware that they played at different standards so this is mere speculation on my part.

What makes you think Cutrone is a better finisher than Bowen?

Would much rather have a Jonny than Chilwell personally

You and me both, I find it constantly amazing that Jonny is never given any where near the credit he deserves :(

I'm aware that Jota and Cutrone are different types of players, that's obvious. What I don't understand is why you think that a chance only fell to Cutrone because he plays a central striker and therefore only central strikers would ever get that chance. I don't think it's that binary, if the player reads the game and understand the play that's more of a factor as to where you will be on the pitch rather than the arbitrary position you occupy. Bowen is intelligent enough to understand where to be on the pitch.

I'm arguing Bowen is a better finisher than Cutrone based upon what I've seen of both players finishing chances and their respective goal returns to date - caveat - I'm also aware that they played at different standards so this is mere speculation on my part.

What makes you think Cutrone is a better finisher than Bowen?

I don't understand why you'd compare Cutrone to Bowen in that case. You may as well say Bowen's s better finisher than Adama or Doc or Jonny.

Why wouldn't you compare them by position?

As for finishing, I have no idea if Bowen would be any good at the top level as you yourself point out they are at different levels and you'd have no idea if he could step up.

You made the assumption Bowen would finish Cutrone's chances.

Think it's fair to compare a standalone skill like finishing as a speculative exercise.

You of course make the assumption that both players get into the same position to begin with but it's not unreasonable to make a guess that another player might finish a chance that another has missed.

That Doherty chance for instance, mirror that situation so the ball comes across from the right instead of the left and it's Jonny coming in on his stronger foot rather than Doherty on his weaker foot, most would back Jonny to have a more ambitious effort rather than the safe attempt Doherty mustered.

From what I've seen of Cutrone his finishing generally doesn't look particularly good, thinking of that one on one against Villa and similar against Man City, even a lot of the goals on his Milan highlights looked more a result of good movement putting him in situations where he couldn't miss or any sort of touch just kills the keeper rather than him picking out top bins with ruthless efficiency.

So the point being made is that Bowen wouldn't have got into those positions?

Presumably then Jota wouldn't have either?

Probably not.
I doubt very much if Jota would have had Cutrone's chance via Man City
I doubt wether Cutrone would have had Jotas chance v Arsenal

I don't understand why you'd compare Cutrone to Bowen in that case. You may as well say Bowen's s better finisher than Adama or Doc or Jonny.

Why wouldn't you compare them by position?

As for finishing, I have no idea if Bowen would be any good at the top level as you yourself point out they are at different levels and you'd have no idea if he could step up.

You made the assumption Bowen would finish Cutrone's chances.

For me Bowen and Jota are interchangeable, could I see Jota in the same positions Cutrone had found himself in, for me the answer is yes. Therefore I could see Bowen in those positions.

Bringing in players like Adama, Jonny etc is spurious. Forward players are much more likely to be a position to finish chances, especially ones noted for their goal scoring prowess

Yes it is an assumption because I have no way of proving with evidence so I've extrapolated based upon what I've seen from Cutrone's finishing compared to Bowens whilst allowing for the difference in their respective leagues.

Strictly speaking, you've also made an assumption that Bowen would be worse.

I still find it baffling that you find it inconceivable that two players who occupy notionally difference positions could end up in the same place at the same time.

Back