• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ipswich (H) 23/12 Build Up Thread

Langers

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only question mark for me is whether to recall Douglas for Vinagre if he's fit. Vinagre defended well on Friday but Douglas' set pieces have been so important and we're scoring fewer goals than usual so I think I'd want his outlet. A nice dilemma to have.

Otherwise, same side for me

Really looking forward to Saturday.

Douglas will definitely be back in. It'll be the usual starting 11, IMO - but I would consider bringing Helder in for a start instead of Cav, who I thought was really off the pace against Sheff Wed (plus offside an annoying amount of times).

I don't see Cav, Jota and Bonatini playing 4 games in 11 days when at least two of them looked leggy on Friday. Nuno has to decide how he's going to manage his rotation across the period I would suggest with the intention of getting the best side on the pitch at Bristol. I also still expect Bennett to be hit with a charge today.

I was speaking to a Derby Sth last night who said Mick did a job on them by pressing all over the pitch with his players running themselves into the ground for him, whilst offensively playing for set pieces one of which they scored from. So that's probably what we will have in store rather than the Sunderland tactic of letting us have the ball and being compact, sounds similar to Cardiff and no doubt will have some of their cynicism too.

I think, in hindsight, we should have rotated in Costa and/or Bright into the front three for one of the last two matches - we would have been better setup to break at pace with those two in there, and it would give us some slightly fresher options up front for this one, where I think Jota and Bonatini in particular will be needed for their tenacity (and Bonatini's tendency to drop down into midfield and help Neves and Saiss get the ball back when we're out of possession). As it is I still think we might see Costa in for one of the regular front three, but otherwise I do think it'll be Douglas back in and otherwise unchanged. Nothing's broken, just not running at full power right now, only needs an oil change rather than a complete rebuild.

Ipswich have scored the second most but have the 8th worst defence so I still expect us to make chances.

They were bound to have played a similar way at Villa and Boro and came away from both with nothing, and without going full Cyberman Ipswich have won 6 and drawn 3 of their last 9 at Pride Park.

It'll be tough but their defence is for the taking IMO.

I don't see Cav, Jota and Bonatini playing 4 games in 11 days when at least two of them looked leggy on Friday. Nuno has to decide how he's going to manage his rotation across the period I would suggest with the intention of getting the best side on the pitch at Bristol. I also still expect Bennett to be hit with a charge today.

I was speaking to a Derby Sth last night who said Mick did a job on them by pressing all over the pitch with his players running themselves into the ground for him, whilst offensively playing for set pieces one of which they scored from. So that's probably what we will have in store rather than the Sunderland tactic of letting us have the ball and being compact, sounds similar to Cardiff and no doubt will have some of their cynicism too.

Agree with para 1. To be fair, Jota, Bonatini and Cav have been off the pace for 2 games now. They're due a break.
Costa and Bright to get at least one full game each. I'd also be thinking about bringing Wilson onto the bench.

2 goals in 3 games now so I don’t think there is any harm in Costa starting on Saturday, I’d be tempted to play him instead of Cav for this one and then maybe Jota in the next game to mix things up a bit

Can't imagine it would be too difficult to play around a press from Ipswich, Mick's teams always had plenty of legs but usually lacked brains so it probably won't be the most organised of tactics, you'd back the current Wolves side to be more capable of shifting the ball to avoid pressure than Rowett's Derby side too.

Douglas for Vinagre and Costa for Cav, we will need to rotate with so many games so we could possibly see a few others rested.

I think Jota could do with a break he looked thoroughly pissed off against Sheff Weds and I can't see Ipswich being any better.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Eagerly anticipating McCarthy's pre match nonsense about how we've spent £16M on a 'holding midfielder' and how our Porties won't like it up em in this cold weather.

I was reading how Bonatini was said to be looking tired but on friday i dont think he gave the ball away once.
If you watch him closely (on and off the ball) he is a very clever player but i really think certain players individuality (i wont say greed)
is at a detriment to the team.
Bonatini could have easily had 3 at Blues such was the positions he takes up.

They'll have had 8 days to recover. I don't want to see any of our key players rested for this one.

They'll have had 8 days to recover. I don't want to see any of our key players rested for this one.
I agree and I have the utmost confidence that our team management will ensure the players are suitably prepared and conditioned.

I'm still a bit nonplussed that we want Costa in for Cav rather than for Jota, who to me seemed like he clearly had the poorer game on Friday.

I'm still a bit nonplussed that we want Costa in for Cav rather than for Jota, who to me seemed like he clearly had the poorer game on Friday.
Nobody was worse than Cav on Friday.

I'd say that is very harsh on Cav

He had a shocker - not sure who else had such a stinker.

Cav was very poor other than a couple of bits of magic. The more worrying aspect with Jota is he looked uninterested at times. Cav has always been inconsistent but there is no excuse for constantly being offside it ruined several potential moves.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

He didn't have a shocker, he just wasn't at his best.

Back