• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Huddersfield (A) 26/2 Build-Up

I know this is an attempt at a joke, but this kind of reply is a bit soft really. The inference behind it is that Nuno is exempt from any criticism or blame for poor performances, which is blatantly ridiculous. I love Nuno, I think he is the best manager we have had in my Wolves supporting life, and he gets more right than he gets wrong, but that doesn't, nor shouldn't, exempt him from criticism when he gets it wrong. And last night, not for the first time against a really poor team, he and the players, got things woefully wrong.

I know some people will claim otherwise, but to repeatedly underperform against teams near the bottom of the league is a pattern that is concerning, or at least should concern Nuno, players and fans. It isn't good enough to say "They are a strong team on a bad moment". They aren't. They are awful and we have given them easy points by being badly prepared mentally and physically in those games. And it is the mental preparedness that for me should be most worrying. We have approached a few of these games not ready to combat the intensity and energy we have faced, and have seemed to have an attitude that we can stroll around at half pace and win. Well, it's been proven several times now that we can't.

And for me, this is where Nuno has to shoulder the blame. It is his job to prepare the players for to every game and if they aren't mentally right for facing the teams down near the bottom, then it is on him.

And if some jokers want to brush it off with facetious, condescending 'Nuno out' type comments, more bloody fool them for burying their heads in the sand.

Reading the drivel of the matchday thread you wouldn't think it.

You've posted some dross on here Jinks but your post at the top of this page is a joke. I'm with Lycan, I have no idea what you see sometimes, it's baffling.

I think a lot of people watching last night saw what Jinky saw to be honest.

You've posted some dross on here Jinks but your post at the top of this page is a joke. I'm with Lycan, I have no idea what you see sometimes, it's baffling.

I can appreciate your opinion, even if I don't always agree with it. There is literally no need for the last part of your post. Attack/debate the point - not the poster.

I can appreciate your opinion, even if I don't always agree with it. There is literally no need for the last part of your post. Attack/debate the point - not the poster.

I don't see what you do Jinks for the same reason Lycan pointed out. Nuno clearly does adapt as is obvious when we changed from 3-4-3 to 3-5-2 and a more robust midfield presence with the Donk. Nuno sat MGW on Fabregas against Chelsea and that worked. Nuno pushes Jonny and Doc forward and inside against supposed stronger opposition when in attack which they don't expect and that works. Nuno played Traore against Spurs for his counter attacking ability and that worked.

Nuno is not afraid to adapt and change.

Having said that at the moment we are allowing the opposition far too much of the ball in the last 4 games and that doesn't suit us or our style and I hope the analysts and Nuno see that and change.

I think a lot of people watching last night saw what Jinky saw to be honest.

You can only speak for you and Jinks which is 1 and 1/2 people as far as I can see.

TBH I don't think I've ever thought 'Traore would be the answer here'. His total lack of consistency means I simply can't see him as any sort of answer. Pace is all well and good but it means fuck all if you do fuck all with that pace. I was half following Twitter during the match and I was puzzled by the clamour for him. There have been far more nothing performances from him than positive contributions. He frustrates the hell out of me.

To say Nuno doesn't learn is just a bizarre statement. Bad results/performances happen in football - all the teams around where we are have been gulity of them, that's why we're midtable. Our record in games immediately following defeats is - on the whole - pretty good and I would expect the coaching staff to be analysing last night's no show and working out why it went wrong and how to fix it. I would agree with those who have said we've let the opposition have too much possession recently. Nuno learns all the time, as a team we are steadily improving but there are going to be blips along the way.

Whereas justified criticism is bound to be rife after such a bad performance, I don't think it's 'blind faith' to dismiss it quicker than we used to when the team have showed time after time that they do get it right more often than not. The style we play works for us, pretty much every member of the squad has played a hugely positive role and although we suffer off-days, we do recover from them and normal service is resumed. I expect a much better reaction against Cardiff and I think we'll get it.

The fallout to a first defeat in 8 (from some on here and particularly social media) is quite something though.

It was a bad performance and result. Yes we get it. We are a promoted team, having a wonderful season who are not going
To go without bad performances, it just doesn’t happen. We are the best promoted team for a good twenty years.

You need perspective. During our good runs it is important not to get carried away and during a bad run (Like in November) it’s important not to get carried away. You see comments like Nuno will be under pressure, or X player doesn’t “want it. Same people who wanted João dropped for MGW are now saying Morgan needs a long spell and suddenly writing him off!! It makes me cringe!

I don't see what you do Jinks for the same reason Lycan pointed out. Nuno clearly does adapt as is obvious when we changed from 3-4-3 to 3-5-2 and a more robust midfield presence with the Donk. Nuno sat MGW on Fabregas against Chelsea and that worked. Nuno pushes Jonny and Doc forward and inside against supposed stronger opposition when in attack which they don't expect and that works. Nuno played Traore against Spurs for his counter attacking ability and that worked.

Nuno is not afraid to adapt and change.

Having said that at the moment we are allowing the opposition far too much of the ball in the last 4 games and that doesn't suit us or our style and I hope the analysts and Nuno see that and change.

You can only speak for you and Jinks which is 1 and 1/2 people as far as I can see.

And as I said just a few posts above, it's the time it took Nuno to come up with an alternative way of playing, which was the cause for concern. What was it? 7 games?

You can bring up the likes of Spurs, Chelsea etc - but those are not the performances in question. He is still yet to come up with a way of playing against the lower league sides. This is the debate & where most people's criticism lies. We're nearly 30 games deep in to a season and are still struggling against sides like Huddersfield Town. If you're happy with that, more power to you.

And reference your final line - I suggest you go and read through the match thread again.

What Jinks saw, very clearly, was what anyone watching the game live night saw. His comments are spot on

What Jinks saw, very clearly, was what anyone watching the game live night saw. His comments are spot on

Whilst I appreciate the support, it's all good.

I find there are two types of poster on this board.

Those that are able to comment freely on what is happening in front of their eyes. Be it positive or negative. For example, I'll happily sit here and say this is the best football I have ever seen a Wolves side play in my lifetime. But if we are playing poorly - I'm happy to say so. It doesn't mean I don't support the side and want us to do well.

Then there's those that just cannot allow themselves to say anything critical - and instead shout from the rooftops at those that do. More often than not, while attempting to make those that are actually constructively critical feel like a "lesser" fan. It's weird - but it's ok.

And as I said just a few posts above, it's the time it took Nuno to come up with an alternative way of playing, which was the cause for concern. What was it? 7 games?

You can bring up the likes of Spurs, Chelsea etc - but those are not the performances in question. He is still yet to come up with a way of playing against the lower league sides. This is the debate & where most people's criticism lies. We're nearly 30 games deep in to a season and are still struggling against sides like Huddersfield Town. If you're happy with that, more power to you.

And reference your final line - I suggest you go and read through the match thread again.

You see, it's this type of nonsense I object to and makes you look childish. Nuno has adapted and won games but then you discount them because we won. That's just silly.

For the record, during our winless run in Nov:

Watford (h) - outplayed and out thought, played 3-4-3. Nuno's tactics failed that day.
Brighton (a) - we battered Brighton - 60% possession, 15 shots, 7 on target and Brighton had 1 shot on target and it went in. Not a failure of tactics
Spurs (h) - Spurs were good but it was defensive mistakes that cost us that day, Doc lets Moura score with aheader inside the 6yd box ffs
Arsenal (a) - we should've won if Traore had his shooting boots on. Costa and Cav were quality that day
Huddersfield (h) - failure of tactics much like last night. On Nuno
Cardiff (a) - change of tactics to humping the ball up front to Jiminez who had a terrible game and the use of Traore was baffling. Lost to a wonder strike by Hoillet. Played shite. Nuno got it wrong but not the same as he did the previous game.

Nuno was at fault for 3 of those games but then changed it again for the 3rd game in a row to 3-5-2 and it worked.

Your comment on being happy with a loss to Huddersfield is childish rubbish and there is no need for it and finally reading the embarrassment that is the matchday thread once is enough. If some people on there support their team then I'm glad none of them go to the games to show that.

Again, you can only speak for yourself and Jinks (although Dire Wolf agrees with you). I find it a real cunts trick to say 'everybody agrees with me' to add weight to your opinion. It make you look a cunt* and at the end of the day it is only your opinion.

*for the record and before you push the report button I'm not calling you a cunt.

Last night was annoying. Huddersfield have won 3 games all season and two of them were against us, and they probably deserved to win them both. It's only natural to get frustrated. Huddersfield are shocking.

However, it is done now so I will move on and forget about it. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. People like Cyber like to make a big deal about our record against the teams near the bottom but I don't really give a shit which teams we have beaten and which teams we have lost to.

You see, it's this type of nonsense I object to and makes you look childish. Nuno has adapted and won games but then you discount them because we won. That's just silly.

For the record, during our winless run in Nov:

Watford (h) - outplayed and out thought, played 3-4-3. Nuno's tactics failed that day.
Brighton (a) - we battered Brighton - 60% possession, 15 shots, 7 on target and Brighton had 1 shot on target and it went in. Not a failure of tactics
Spurs (h) - Spurs were good but it was defensive mistakes that cost us that day, Doc lets Moura score with aheader inside the 6yd box ffs
Arsenal (a) - we should've won if Traore had his shooting boots on. Costa and Cav were quality that day
Huddersfield (h) - failure of tactics much like last night. On Nuno
Cardiff (a) - change of tactics to humping the ball up front to Jiminez who had a terrible game and the use of Traore was baffling. Lost to a wonder strike by Hoillet. Played shite. Nuno got it wrong but not the same as he did the previous game.

Nuno was at fault for 3 of those games but then changed it again for the 3rd game in a row to 3-5-2 and it worked.

Your comment on being happy with a loss to Huddersfield is childish rubbish and there is no need for it and finally reading the embarrassment that is the matchday thread once is enough. If some people on there support their team then I'm glad none of them go to the games to show that.

"Childish"
"Silly"
"Embarrassment"

All because I don't share your opinion.

No wonder people can't have a proper discussion with you :icon_lol:

You keep changing the goalposts of the discussion, and then chucking insults around. And I'm the "childish" one...

I'd have enjoyed a proper debate this morning, but this isn't going anywhere so lets leave it there.

It’s the performance that annoys me more than the result, we’re already in 40 points and having a great season so a defeat really doesn’t matter. think we’d be better off not getting into Europe this season anyway as I think it would do more harm than good at this stage. But to play poorly yet again against them and have no shots on target is woeful.

It worries me slightly than Nuno said he approaches every game the same so he doesn’t know why we struggle against teams like this - surely the first half of the season was evidence of the games where we need to do something different?

From what I can see on here, criticism and analysis is fine with most people, - it's frustrating to fail to perform so often against teams we are, in theory, superior to. It's when the language goes OTT it all gets a bit silly - "pathetic", "shocking" etc... It feels like the equivalent of booing the team off at the end of a game. If we were in Huddersfield's position it would be fair enough but it's an over-reaction to a bad performance by a newly promoted team fighting for seventh place. If we didn't throw these performances in on a semi-regular basis, we'd be fighting for a Champions League place.

No-one in the team or management should be above criticism, and lots of them might have done badly last night, but none of them are "pathetic".

From what I can see on here, criticism and analysis is fine with most people, - it's frustrating to fail to perform so often against teams we are, in theory, superior to. It's when the language goes OTT it all gets a bit silly - "pathetic", "shocking" etc... It feels like the equivalent of booing the team off at the end of a game. If we were in Huddersfield's position it would be fair enough but it's an over-reaction to a bad performance by a newly promoted team fighting for seventh place. If we didn't throw these performances in on a semi-regular basis, we'd be fighting for a Champions League place.

No-one in the team or management should be above criticism, and lots of them might have done badly last night, but none of them are "pathetic".

This. I’d love to debate the tactical or technical failings rather than read players called pathetic and “not wanting it”

"Childish"
"Silly"
"Embarrassment"

All because I don't share your opinion.

No wonder people can't have a proper discussion with you :icon_lol:

You keep changing the goalposts of the discussion, and then chucking insults around. And I'm the "childish" one...

I'd have enjoyed a proper debate this morning, but this isn't going anywhere so lets leave it there.

So you blatantly ignore the content of my post and focus on your own personal criticism, the very thing you're complaining people do to make themselves look better against others.

There's plenty in my post to debate but you've chosen to ignore it. I find your comments below childish and the matchday thread embarrassing just to complete the context.

We're nearly 30 games deep in to a season and are still struggling against sides like Huddersfield Town. If you're happy with that, more power to you.

Again, you can only speak for yourself and Jinks (although Dire Wolf agrees with you). I find it a real cunts trick to say 'everybody agrees with me' to add weight to your opinion. It make you look a cunt* and at the end of the day it is only your opinion.

*for the record and before you push the report button I'm not calling you a cunt.

Can you tone down the attitude please.

Embarrassing, just like it was at home. I haven't seen the game so can't say what, but there is clearly something about us failing to beat this kind of low-level opposition, as they are totally awful, one of the worst the league has seen in years and yet we have lost to them home and away (and no, it's not just because we have a bad record against them).

Detest Huddersfield so this is a very annoying result for me, but at least have the comfort of my winnings as I bet against us for this game just in case. Terrible day at the office but the most important thing is picking ourselves back up for Cardiff. Liverpool should do us a favour which means we will still be on the same points as Watford who have a tough run coming up, no need to exaggerate that 7th is lost. Our hopes are dented but we are still totally in the Europa race. On to Saturday.

7th place isn't so much about who we, Watford etc. play as how we play. All season we've failed to turn up against teams worse than us - otherwise 7th would have been nailed on by now. If we carry on doing it, we'll be lucky to qualify.

This. I’d love to debate the tactical or technical failings rather than read players called pathetic and “not wanting it”

Why do you think we've got it so wrong against Huddersfield?

Back