• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Home v Manchester City - Friday 27 December 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
L
I’d go back to the 3-5-2 as in the away game for this one.

Tempting but City’s weakness is in defence so can also see the logic in 3-4-4 but with Jota and Traore playing slightly deeper than normal. That way we are best p,aced to capitalion any opportunities that do come our way.

L

Tempting but City’s weakness is in defence so can also see the logic in 3-4-4 but with Jota and Traore playing slightly deeper than normal. That way we are best p,aced to capitalion any opportunities that do come our way.

I think we've got no chance if we don't play a keeper...

Last time 3-5-2 worked because the 2 on the counter with Vinagre and Traore getting forward quickly was effective. Also flooded the middle forcing them out wide with them putting in aimless crosses. Without KDB they had no x-factor so just resorted to these aimless crosses, but we defended this really well particularly with Boly in there.

Without Boly I’m not sure we will be as good at defending these and The delivery from KDB will be better. 3-4-3 also is more 5-4-1, so theoretically has more men in defensive areas whilst still having more pace in the side to exploit the spaces left by their fullbacks on transition.

3-4-3 for me. It’s working generally and it allows us to have more pace in the team. It also worked great against city last year at home and we are a way better team than that now and they aren’t as good.

I am really looking forward to it. The match at Molineux last year was awesome. They were utterly brilliant. The passing and movement was astounding, and yet we went toe-to-toe with them for a large portion of the affair. It was the match that gave the immediate impression that Wolves in the Premier League under Nuno was going to be a rather different proposition to the Wolves under Mick or DJ.

City were the best team I saw in the flesh (at least they were until Liverpool and the Virgil Van Dijk rolls-royce pitched up).

I love the fact that we don't see these games as free hits now. That's a negative mindset if you are pushing the upper reaches of the table. They are games where there is something to be won if we play our best.

I love the fact that we don't see these games as free hits now..

Nuno won't but I do! If we leave Anfield with more points than we have now I will amazed/shocked/absofookinlutley delighted.

Be interesting to see which game Klopp makes more important in terms of resting players though, which may give us a shout (if he can play the League Cup team that would be ace, maybe inc Lonners in goal)

As good as City were last night, Leicester completely played into their hands by just giving KdB all the freedom in the world. Tielemans was a joke from a defensive perspective and left Chilwell isolated with him and Mahrez all game.

I wouldn't be averse to moving back to 3-5-2 with Donck playing in front of the back three.

There was some great analysis from Shearer on that. KdB was standing infield almost on the edge of the penalty box, and became Chilwell's man, which then left Mahrez acres of space.

I see the other thread has closed. Don't get rid of the matchday thread. For those of us who don't live in Wolverhampton it's important

I see the other thread has closed. Don't get rid of the matchday thread. For those of us who don't live in Wolverhampton it's important

I agree, I personally enjoy the matchday thread when I can't get to see the game live, despite its detractors, my hats off to the people who manage to post on it when they're watching the game, I wouldn't be able to, so cheers to all that do....whatever your opinions or language.
Luckily as I have Prime I'll be able to watch this one.

There was some great analysis from Shearer on that. KdB was standing infield almost on the edge of the penalty box, and became Chilwell's man, which then left Mahrez acres of space.

You’d hope that that wouldn’t happen against us as we’d have Jonny to cover Mahrez and Saiss to cover KdB.

Stay strong at the back & we will have chances. Rui will be an important figure in this game.

Will watch if I get back from taking my 93 yr old Aunt out for lunch in time (depends how long it takes me to extricate myself from Guildford seeing as how the sales will have started in earnest).

Stay strong at the back & we will have chances. Rui will be an important figure in this game.

Will watch if I get back from taking my 93 yr old Aunt out for lunch in time (depends how long it takes me to extricate myself from Guildford seeing as how the sales will have started in earnest).

It a 7.45 kick off, so as long as she's not a grade 1 piss head, you should be fine

It a 7.45 kick off, so as long as she's not a grade 1 piss head, you should be fine

She's 93 so I doubt that really - will depend on getting out of Guildford & the A303 (though I do know a few routes off that to get round bottlenecks) - shoudn't be a problem.

So Leicester played City and Liverpool and lost 7-1 on aggregate. Let's see if we can do better. Astonished at how much space they gave TAA but with three games in six days the Liverpool game is the one where I'd rest players

Wonder if Nuno will make any changes at all for this one with Liverpool in mind. By his comments we won't but it make make sense to play one of Donck/Saiss in midfield with Moutinho/Neves and alternate for the game at Liverpool (as we have Bennett and Kilman who can each come in). Tough one though, especially with Watford three days after so you'd also wonder if we should just make lots of changes for Liverpool (Neto, Cutrone, Kilman, Vinagre, Bennett all play) to rest key players for that game.

The scheduling is fucking mental though. Seen lots of people say, 'but we always play over christmas' etc. I don't think that's the issue. It's the game between Boxing day and new years day. We just don't need it.

Wouldn't you want the accolade of being the only team to beat Liverpool this season ?

We should go all out to get something today and make changes for Anfield.

We have always played a stupid amount of games over crimbo but the game is a lot quicker nowadays, plus some of the games I've been to back in the day were rank especially New Years day matches.
On the team, wonder if Nuno will rotate during the games i.e. bring Neto and Cutrone on earlier and move Donck or Saiss into midfield second half?

It’s not the fact that we only have 45 hours. There’s a few teams who are similar, but they are all playing each other. Arsenal and Chelsea get the extra day - same for both sides. But with us and City playing the day after, we are getting 50% less rest, that just isn’t fair.

Now city can moan, but they are far better equipped to deal with it.

Fully fit Vinagre, Bennett etc can come in for Liverpool. They will likely be better than tired starters tonight and particularly in the long run for Watford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back