• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Jota for Sheffield Utd for goal.

Coady for PoTS

Goal Jota vs Sheffield United- a superb team goal that sums up the difference in football philosophy we now have at the club and the fact this team is the best Wolves team I have seen in my time as a fan 40+ years.

POS Neves- the best player to play for us for me in a long long time. Having said that I considered voting for Coady too as he has been a revelation and probably best sums up and epitomises the statement Nuno made when he was appointed about improving the players we already have.

Was tough call all round as Boly, Jota, Doherty, Cavaleiro, Bennett, Saiss have been very good too.

Goal: Neves vs Sheff Utd. Was close, as the build-up for Jota's goal was sublime, but that shot from Ruben was simply perfection

POTS: Neves, with Coady a close runner-up. (Sorry, Conor!)

Goal Jota vs Sheffield United- a superb team goal that sums up the difference in football philosophy we now have at the club and the fact this team is the best Wolves team I have seen in my time as a fan 40+ years.

POS Neves- the best player to play for us for me in a long long time. Having said that I considered voting for Coady too as he has been a revelation and probably best sums up and epitomises the statement Nuno made when he was appointed about improving the players we already have.

Was tough call all round as Boly, Jota, Doherty, Cavaleiro, Bennett, Saiss have been very good too.

100% agree - although Neves goal against Sheffield Utd was so close to being my number 1.

Coady was also so close as he sums up what Nuno has done for the club - but Neves is arguably the best player I’ve seen in an Old Gold shirt !

I didn’t agree with Bennett’s winner against Bristol City being on the short list of 5. Yes it was highly emotional and important but given the sheer abundance of quality goals the team has scored this season (more in one season in 50+ years supporting Wolves) I would have had quite a few more ahead of it.

Goal - Jota vs. Sheff U (although personal favourite was actually Neves vs. Sheff W)
Player - Neves

Goal - Neves v Sheff was spectacular, but called the Jota one v them the moment it was scored. Involving approx half of the outfield players, the speed/movement/one touch passing made it undefendable. Would have graced any Premier/Champions league game so my vote has to go to that.

POTS - a season when no one will ever say 'how the hell does anyone make him POTS'. A number of very worthy candidates, but has to be Neves. A number have said that he really shouldn't be playing in the Championship - true, but he is & deserves recognition for the sustained level of quality he has shown.

Goal - Jota. Funnily enough, after the Sheff Utd match, I actually preferred the Neves goal - but you could realistically put forward any of Neves' goals this season, such has been the class of them all. The thing with Jota's goal is it perfectly sums up this season and how fantastic this TEAM has been, rather than an individual. Sheff Utd are no mugs and we absolutely tore through them.

Player - It will be a travesty if it's anyone other than Neves. Whilst I appreciate there are a number of players that should be mentioned in the discussion (Boly, Coady, Bennett, Jota), Neves is the only player that has kept his level so consistently high throughout the entire season. The transformation of Coady has been remarkable, but he's had the odd 'moment' (the sending off v Sheff Utd which cost us that game, the penalty against Cardiff the other night etc) - Bennett had a period out of the side - Jota started like a train but looks ready for the season to finish now, he looks ready for a break - Neves has just kept going & going & going. He makes our game tick and is without doubt the best footballer I've ever seen in a Wolves shirt. Boly finishes 2nd and Coady 3rd IMO.

It's been a brilliant season.

Goal - Jota.

Though I do love Neves' long range efforts. They're not just hit and hope worldies - he knows exactly where he's placing it.

Player - love Boly, but it's got to be Neves. We don't look the same team when he doesn't play.

The general consensus seems to be GOTS Jota v Sheffield United and POTS Neves and who am I to argue with that? We are definitely a lesser team without Neves running the midfield. It would be nice to have a like for like (or even close to like for like) backup there, but we would have to spend serious money to achieve that. I agree with previous posters also about the Jota goal v Sheff U, a truly glorious team goal to sum up what Wolves have been all about this season. Let's hope we can seal promotion by the weekend and let the party begin! :)

Same as most for me; Jota vs Sheffield United GOTS and Neves POTS.

That Jota goal is one of the best goals I've ever seen live.

Last edited:
The thing for me that separates the Jota goal from the Neves goal is that no matter how good the strike is almost any team in any division has players score brilliant long range efforts but there isn't another team in our division who could score a team goal as good as that Jota one.

Sold out for Bolton away. 4800 Wolves fans will be attendance

That's a hell of a queue to punch John McGinlay in the face.

The Sheff Utd one isn't even Neves best goal IMO. The one against Sheff Wed was better. Better composure and technique to simply place it low into the corner rather than smash it.

Back