• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

What was wrong with the petrol station that used to be at Asda?

Margins, strategy, innit. At the time they got rid of it, it probably didn't pull in sufficient takings to compensate for the amount of space it took up. Fast forward a few years and a standard MO of supermarkets is to undercut forecourts on petrol prices, and Asda want a piece of that action. The likes of Aldi and Lidl are outdoing them hugely on general grocery items so they want an advantage wherever they can find one. Plus big new Sainsbury's open, big new Tesco soon to open, they have to up their game a bit or they'll lose all the trade in town.

They've got plenty of time to steal a march on Tesco anyway, that site's been shutdown for most of the year because Tesco were having second thoughts on it and that was before their big profits scandal came to light, you're looking at a good 12 months work to get it done from when they push to button again.

Margins, strategy, innit. At the time they got rid of it, it probably didn't pull in sufficient takings to compensate for the amount of space it took up. Fast forward a few years and a standard MO of supermarkets is to undercut forecourts on petrol prices, and Asda want a piece of that action. The likes of Aldi and Lidl are outdoing them hugely on general grocery items so they want an advantage wherever they can find one. Plus big new Sainsbury's open, big new Tesco soon to open, they have to up their game a bit or they'll lose all the trade in town.

I meant more along the lines of what is wrong with re-using that location...

They want to have their cake and eat it. They want the petrol station without losing 150+ car parking spots. Even with the size of it now it gets fucking rammed on a Saturday.

Ultimately if Punch Taverns think Asda's offer is fair value then all parties are laughing, bar the current tenants of the pub and the 3 people who use the place on a non-matchday.

They want to have their cake and eat it. They want the petrol station without losing 150+ car parking spots. Even with the size of it now it gets $#@!ing rammed on a Saturday.

Ultimately if Punch Taverns think Asda's offer is fair value then all parties are laughing, bar the current tenants of the pub and the 3 people who use the place on a non-matchday.

I know one of them 3....... Graham the gay gardener. Used to use my old local The Vol then moved up that way. See him sitting outside there most days smoking. He tends to start having a conversation with himself after his first couple of pints.

Knowing Punch they won't be making much/if any money out of it hence they will be happy for ASDA to buy and do whatever they want with it. Makes sense for them to put the PFS on the site there rather than back on the car park because they will pick up more passing traffic.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Tesco pulled out of their new development.

Where is/was the new Tesco going to be?

The Asda petrol station is/was kinda hidden, you have to go a bit out the way to get to it. Mainly it'd be the shoppers. where the pub is, it'd get a lot more passing trade.

Twitter explosion - We are told the Official England band are also going to be in attendance at Molineux next Friday.

I meant more along the lines of what is wrong with re-using that location...

Parking innit.

They messed up with the Parking spaces when they opened so the Petrol Station had to go to make way. Obviously if Asda wanted to use the Goal Post for a car park then people would be pretty annoyed....

The Royal Hospital site

Work starts again next year.

The Saisnburys/tesco battle in Wolverhampton has been going on for about 10 years.

Morrisons are meant to putting a Supermarket on the retail park near Molineux (where JJB was and I think only currently has Carpet Right trading from it)

What an eyesore that place is at the moment. Plus the centre, the old Our Price unit will hit 10 full years of vacancy soon.

All the Supermarkets are putting the brakes on their big store developments at the minute. Sales are in rapid decline at the moment.

All the Supermarkets are putting the brakes on their big store developments at the minute. Sales are in rapid decline at the moment.

Waitrose are still busy. My old man is getting mucho work from them.

They live in their own sphere of self righteousness so aren't so badly affected.

I quite like Waitrose, you just have to accept it for what it is. I couldn't do all my shopping there or I'd go bankrupt, but they sell some good stuff.

By the way. Check out the facebook page / twitter of "overheard in waitrose".

It is fucking hilarious.

Back