• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

He pointed out behind close doors that Stale was trying to play a style with a bunch of players who couldn't do it. With hindsight I'm not sure there was a revolt more a resignation that the manager was out of his depth.

From what I heard from a very reliable source not long after he'd been sacked was that Stale had been brought in with the remit of changing the club's philosophy and play style to something more continental, he realised it wasn't going to work as the players he had couldn't do what he wanted. He approached the board and asked if they wanted to put results before the shift in dynamic and they said no, carry on. Then sacked him. Maybe the board at the time were expecting him to do what Nuno has done but without the resources, and if that's the case he was always onto a loser.

Goes both ways, doesn't it? Could the players not do it or did they just not want to? Remember we started that season quite well.
I don't think he had a side who could sit back and counter whilst letting the opposition have the ball. He needed to gradually evolve our style not try and revolutionise it while he waited to get the right players in. We all started as Stale fan boys but for different reasons he was as out of his depth as Saunders was.

KH was decent in our promotion season under Mick, but was found out in the Prem. Bang average footballer.

From what I heard from a very reliable source not long after he'd been sacked was that Stale had been brought in with the remit of changing the club's philosophy and play style to something more continental, he realised it wasn't going to work as the players he had couldn't do what he wanted. He approached the board and asked if they wanted to put results before the shift in dynamic and they said no, carry on. Then sacked him. Maybe the board at the time were expecting him to do what Nuno has done but without the resources, and if that's the case he was always onto a loser.
That I can believe.

I do think there's some revisionist thinking though. For 5 years he was a bloody decent player for us. Not in the final 2 though

I don't think he had a side who could sit back and counter whilst letting the opposition have the ball. He needed to gradually evolve our style not try and revolutionise it while he waited to get the right players in. We all started as Stale fan boys but for different reasons he was as out of his depth as Saunders was.

That's an absolutely scandalous assertion, IMO.

That's an absolutely scandalous assertion, IMO.
It's not, Stale didn't know how to evolve a style to match the players he had, he was woefully out of his depth for the situation he was dealing with and the way he chose to handle it. Those home performances over Xmas against Ipswich and Peterborough as a body of work were the worst I have ever seen with the tools he had at his disposal. He was taking us down, but any vaguely competent manager could have come in and changed that unfortunately we employed an educationally subnormal fuckwit. They had around 5 months each and for differing reasons were as bad as each other

How any manager could allegedly watch every single game of 2011/12 on DVD and then watch training first hand for weeks, then pick a centre half partnership of Berra/Johnson and play a ridiculously high line, and compound it by also picking Zubar who I'm convinced never knew what offside was and was continually 20 yards behind everyone else...

It was insanity.

We were so easy to negate in an attacking sense as well.

As for Henry, he'd do well to remember where he comes from.

Tbf Ståle did stop playing Zubar relatively early on.

I'll never forget Henry's shameful interview with Sky after Saunders' first game where he was asked "you all seemed to play with a smile on your face under the new boss" and Henry replied with an obnoxious smirk on his face something along the lines of "obviously - we played proper old-fashioned Championship football because, let's face it, this is the Championship".

A dinosaur in the mould of his master (that would be Mr McCarthy).

I'll never forget Henry's shameful interview with Sky after Saunders' first game where he was asked "you all seemed to play with a smile on your face under the new boss" and Henry replied with an obnoxious smirk on his face something along the lines of "obviously - we played proper old-fashioned Championship football because, let's face it, this is the Championship".

That the same interview where he actually said "we're too good to go down"?

This forum really enjoyed that game...

Broadly very positive reviews after we lamped the ball into the channels in the vague direction of Maidenhead's Jake Cassidy for 90 minutes.

I was less pleased.

Karl Henry to a tee.

This forum really enjoyed that game...

Broadly very positive reviews after we lamped the ball into the channels in the vague direction of Maidenhead's Jake Cassidy for 90 minutes.

I was less pleased.

The verdict thread for that match is bizarrely missing from the archive.

The old gold podcasts with Mick were very revealing. He pretty much said that Henry was one of the dissenting voices in the dressing room and had gone from Mick's general on the field to chief agitator. It sounded like Henry was saying that Wolves were good enough to not press teams as much as we used to and trying to lead the revolution.

That group of players needed unbelievable team spirit, because without it, there wasn't much left

All in all, Henry was a bit of a wanker

Line of the thread just seven posts in...

hopefully improvement to come via transfers and continued training with Saunders.

giphy.gif

Haha, I’m feeling perceptive...

seems a tad against all the general positivity on here, but whilst there was a load of clearly needed effort, that style of play was complete shite. I really hope this is his transition phase whilst he works out what to do with our players, as I don't want us to be a team that just lumps it without any thought - play that against a good team and we'll get stuffed out of sight.

First signing for Mr Saunders? I reckon he'll try and get Kevin Francis out of retirement.

Back