• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

I feel sorry for him. His lawyers are going to do very well out of a case he'll lose.

Indeed.

"So, if you supposedly recognised it in 1979, why did you only tried to register it in 2016 when the club just happened to be bought by a massive multinational with lots of money? Funny how you didn't bother for 37 years, and no-one has any record of this competition entry from at least 50 years ago?"

He has clearly either had some appalling advice, or can't see past the imaginary pound signs.

By the way, I travelled back in time and invented the £ symbol with no records whatsoever. Where's all my copyright money?

Indeed.

"So, if you supposedly recognised it in 1979, why did you only tried to register it in 2016 when the club just happened to be bought by a massive multinational with lots of money? Funny how you didn't bother for 37 years, and no-one has any record of this competition entry from at least 50 years ago?"

He has clearly either had some appalling advice, or can't see past the imaginary pound signs.

Makes you wonder what the judge will be doing for the 4 days.

The dumb fucking fuck is going to get absolutely fucking annihilated. Good. The fucking money-grabbing cunt.

Is Cyber really a Utd fan?

NHTMu5J.png

The dumb fucking fuck is going to get absolutely fucking annihilated. Good. The fucking money-grabbing cunt.

There’s absolutely no way you can say that without knowing the full facts. The very fact he’s got it to trial shows that it’s at least arguable.

Also those saying “convenient he’s only brought the case now we’re rich” as if that somehow diminishes his claim are also missing the point. It’s a perfectly valid approach to time litigation in accordance with your adversaries’ means.

I’m sure the club are confident of their position. But I don’t see any point in getting tribal about it. It’s a commercial matter.

I take it he must have some proper evidence to have got it to this stage?

He has. And that evidence will be judged. Frankly you only need to the very tiniest chance of victory to get a day in court so I wouldn’t judge the fact it has got to court as anything significant at all.

He says he doesn't have the original drawing, so can't see how he's going to prove anything without that.

Vinagre in the Portugal squad for the U20 World Cup

I presume Wolves can point to the logo architecture they have when the logo was developed. It's on the plaintiff to prove Wolves stole his idea isn't it?

Not really. It is actually inherent to prove (on the balance of probabilities) that either a) wolves did not have access to or awareness of the design when creating the logo, and b) that the logo was an idea created completely independently from the design from the plaintiff.

Some points

1. The design was entered into a competition run by Wolves Speedway, not Wolverhampton Wanderers. Part of the case seems to be that the Chairman of Wolverhampton Wanderers at the time had some connection with Wolves Speedway, and would therefore be aware of the competition entries. This is quite a leap, but the case is worthy of argument in court

2. The plaintiff has no copy of the original design. All he has are some preliminary sketches, which are, as far as can be discerned, undated. Showing a clear connection between the submitted design, the original sketches, and the final 1979 Wolves logo is going to be a challenging part of the case to argue.

3. Part of the case is that the submitted design was created by the plaintiff to demonstrate a mathematical theory (the name of which I cannot bloody remember). It is a geometric concept. It would be reasonably easy to argue that the geometric concept was very well known in design circles, and it wouldn't be a huge leap to imagine the designers independently using the same geometric theorem designing a Wolf Head logo and therefore came up with a very similar concept. That is what will damage the plaintiff's case.

4. The level of royalty he is asking for is (in my opinion) extremely excessive. Had he submitted the design directly to Wolves and it had been chosen, he would have received a designers fee rather than IP rights and royalty in perpetuity. Plus he would have been required to specifically sign over design rights when he was picked as part of the contract in that case. That should really be the limit of any recompense should he succeed

5. Is there a record of the Ts and Cs of the original Wolves speedway competition extant anywhere? It is COMPLETELY standard in such terms to express that all rights in submitted designs are signed over to the competition runner upon submission, because otherwise how could Wolves Speedway register the design right of any winning logo that they chose? If the Ts and Cs state this, then the case is dead in the water as Wolves Speedway could do anything they liked with the competition designs, including passing one over to Wolves if they thought it as more suitable for the football club.

He gets his four days in court. I would be extremely surprised if he was successful.

3. Part of the case is that the submitted design was created by the plaintiff to demonstrate a mathematical theory (the name of which I cannot bloody remember). It is a geometric concept. It would be reasonably easy to argue that the geometric concept was very well known in design circles, and it wouldn't be a huge leap to imagine the designers independently using the same geometric theorem designing a Wolf Head logo and therefore came up with a very similar concept. That is what will damage the plaintiff's case.

This is where most music plagiarism cases fall down. Loads of songs sound vaguely similar if they have simple chords and structure. Doesn't mean Ed Sheeran copied your song that you wrote when you were wanking over Julie in 1997.

Back