• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

I’ve seen a bit around Jota, with the view that costa is miles better (which hasn’t been the case) a bit of Cav being better than all of them (which has been the case), but most of the conversations have been slagging Traore off, pretty relentlessly, and after pretty few viewings.

The prejudice thing is interesting as it’s across all conversations. The Traore thing strikes me in the same way as most of the Brexit debate - they’re both Awful or amazing, regardless of actual actions, and with zero interest in considering the opposite point of view. Having a pre formed view, that won’t change unless something massive happens makes it a pointless conversation. It’s taken Matt Doherty to get the premier league player of the month for some people to calm down a bit.

I just don’t get the desire to Slag our players so much, it seems a bit Petty and pathetic to me - none of our current squad are at Roger Johnson or Jamie O’Hara levels, so the debate should be more nuanced. In my opinion of course. The blunt stick of everything has to be amazing or diabolical doesn’t work for me.

Traore has been a frustrating mixture of excellent going forward, but not fitting the team shape yet but shows signs of doing the simple/sensible thing, and hopefully has more to come. Jota has done well for the team, but struggled creatively and with his finishing but is young and has every chance to make it.Costa has struggled for form for a year and a half, but has shown recent signs of hopefully getting back towards form, but needs to hugely improve his finishing. None of them are amazing or crap.

Your arguaments personally Jonny, seem to me to tend to just be criticising other people’s views (my perspective, though I’ve paid less attention lately) - I’d be interested to see your perspectives of Traore/Costa/Jota please.

I’ve seen a bit around Jota, with the view that costa is miles better (which hasn’t been the case) a bit of Cav being better than all of them (which has been the case), but most of the conversations have been slagging Traore off, pretty relentlessly, and after pretty few viewings.

The prejudice thing is interesting as it’s across all conversations. The Traore thing strikes me in the same way as most of the Brexit debate - they’re both Awful or amazing, regardless of actual actions, and with zero interest in considering the opposite point of view. Having a pre formed view, that won’t change unless something massive happens makes it a pointless conversation. It’s taken Matt Doherty to get the premier league player of the month for some people to calm down a bit.

I just don’t get the desire to Slag our players so much, it seems a bit Petty and pathetic to me - none of our current squad are at Roger Johnson or Jamie O’Hara levels, so the debate should be more nuanced. In my opinion of course. The blunt stick of everything has to be amazing or diabolical doesn’t work for me.

Traore has been a frustrating mixture of excellent going forward, but not fitting the team shape yet but shows signs of doing the simple/sensible thing, and hopefully has more to come. Jota has done well for the team, but struggled creatively and with his finishing but is young and has every chance to make it.Costa has struggled for form for a year and a half, but has shown recent signs of hopefully getting back towards form, but needs to hugely improve his finishing. None of them are amazing or crap.

Your arguaments personally Jonny, seem to me to tend to just be criticising other people’s views (my perspective, though I’ve paid less attention lately) - I’d be interested to see your perspectives of Traore/Costa/Jota please.

Excellent post.

I would say it's more polarised one way or the other. Traore does seem to have that effect, those that love him desperately say something he's done well and vice versa.

I don't think any of this is true. Posters on here are articulate in what they see players are doing right and wrong, sometimes it is soundbites and others are longer tomes (such as this). Doherty was largely abysmal at playing the left back position for all the reasons that have been spelt out in reams of text, however that changed under Nuno in the Championship.

You can see the irony in this part? As I have said a number of times the arguments are nearly always nuanced and very rarely do people say - he's shit.

I don't think anybody has said they are amazing or crap absolutely.

Is this a thing where you repeat my argument as your own?

I have put my views forward many times on these pages and it's all there for people to see, and if you deem it worthy of your time here's my summary to date of our inside forwards in the PL:

Traore - technically gifted and exciting player when running at defenders, an outlet on the counter but lacks the intelligence of a player at this level. He clearly can make a difference when he has the ball at his feet and defenders are scare to death of him in one on one situations. He makes poor decisions in crucial situations too often right now and his movement off the ball is limited when not playing on the last man/ counter. Hopefully he improves as he gets used to the team structure and coaching. I have my reservations as sometimes players have limits and that may well be his. I personally don't think he'll ever reach the heights his physical and technical gifts could allow.

Cav - Again technically gifted showing very good movement off the ball and the late movement to get into spaces that force defenders to either lose or follow him. This has created space for him to score or take players away for others to get shots off. He is the only player we have in a our forward positions to do this at this level IMO. I would like to see more of him as he's not quite right fitness wise yet and I'm not sure Nuno trusts him defensively as he's not great at seeing danger off the ball in defence when the ball has gone past him.

Jota - He seems to be finding the step up the hardest. He's not quite seeing things as fast as he did at a lower level and as such he's doubting himself and either rushing shots or not taking them on. Again this is decision making at the highest level. I think he keeps the ball well now but didn't in his first few games and his decision making is getting better. He showed his twinkle toes when he slalomed his way through the Brighton defence to win a free kick in a good position as well as getting on the end of a good pass against Arsenal but to not have the confidence to make the 'keeper work harder. I think a spell of being a sub and learning this level, like Traore will do him the world of good.

Costa - A winger as an inside forward. No doubting his technical ability and work rate, is working well with Doherty and Jiminez, almost telepathically, which none of the others have shown yet and because of that team ethic he has shown he can make good decision at this level. His execution at times has been very sloppy and whilst he may well have gotten away with it at Championship level he can't at this level. His work against Arsenal was fantastic but being really critical he should've scored and that's the difference between the very top players and Helder at the moment.

All of that may seem harsh on all 4 players and all of it is open for people to rip it to bits.

There isn't much there I disagree with there at all Johnny to be honest.

I'd add to the Jota analysis that I think he misses Douglas, in the same way as Costa benefits from his understanding of Doherty. Jonny is a clear upgrade on him defensively, but plays the left wing back position differently. By and large as he's right footed he comes inside whereas Douglas would hug the touchline and go outside. This means that the way they link up is different to what brought the best from Jota last year.

I think we'll see him benefit from Vinagre playing there over the next month or so, although it'll weaken us in other facets.

Traore - technically gifted and exciting player when running at defenders, an outlet on the counter but lacks the intelligence of a player at this level. He clearly can make a difference when he has the ball at his feet and defenders are scare to death of him in one on one situations. He makes poor decisions in crucial situations too often right now and his movement off the ball is limited when not playing on the last man/ counter. Hopefully he improves as he gets used to the team structure and coaching. I have my reservations as sometimes players have limits and that may well be his. I personally don't think he'll ever reach the heights his physical and technical gifts could allow.

Cav - Again technically gifted showing very good movement off the ball and the late movement to get into spaces that force defenders to either lose or follow him. This has created space for him to score or take players away for others to get shots off. He is the only player we have in a our forward positions to do this at this level IMO. I would like to see more of him as he's not quite right fitness wise yet and I'm not sure Nuno trusts him defensively as he's not great at seeing danger off the ball in defence when the ball has gone past him.

Jota - He seems to be finding the step up the hardest. He's not quite seeing things as fast as he did at a lower level and as such he's doubting himself and either rushing shots or not taking them on. Again this is decision making at the highest level. I think he keeps the ball well now but didn't in his first few games and his decision making is getting better. He showed his twinkle toes when he slalomed his way through the Brighton defence to win a free kick in a good position as well as getting on the end of a good pass against Arsenal but to not have the confidence to make the 'keeper work harder. I think a spell of being a sub and learning this level, like Traore will do him the world of good.

Costa - A winger as an inside forward. No doubting his technical ability and work rate, is working well with Doherty and Jiminez, almost telepathically, which none of the others have shown yet and because of that team ethic he has shown he can make good decision at this level. His execution at times has been very sloppy and whilst he may well have gotten away with it at Championship level he can't at this level. His work against Arsenal was fantastic but being really critical he should've scored and that's the difference between the very top players and Helder at the moment.

All of that may seem harsh on all 4 players and all of it is open for people to rip it to bits.

Thanks, that’s probably the most balanced thing I’ve ever seen you write, it was interesting. Thank you.

Luckily Leeds have other things annoying them at the moment so this being dug up again will pass them by

Nothing new there, I honestly don't see the issue.

If we have broken any rules then fine, punish us. However 2 x EFL and 1x PL investigation have found we are within the rules set out by those 2 bodies.

What offends me most is that a publisher of the standing of Spiegel-Verlag uses such rubbish translation.

As for the content, nothing particularly new or disturbing. It's hardly a surprise Morgan has told them to do one. As long as the takeover was done commercially/legally correctly and both parties are happy, what the new owner's plans were arent his concern.

Possibly but I would hazard a guess lawyers for the EFL and PL have already looked at the nature of this story against their own respective rules
It's the quote from Jeff's leaked email they'll be interested in, inferring that the club was bought to advantage Mendes.

Really not sure that we have 'bent' the rules significantly more than some others at this level to get there & try & challenge

If we get fined then would suspect that Fosun will merely cover & then carry on (that seems to be the way Man City are dealing with issues)

The authorities in this country have already investigated it TWICE. There is nothing new here.

Back