• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Keeping the same system of play must also help our scouting, enables us to choose specific targets rather than the random names you see in the daily media. Clarity of purpose.

Shows his stubborn-ness in that. I think he needs to develop a plan b, and possibly a plan c too. Of course, he may be doing exactly that, but not splashing it all around the press.

We'd need a hell of a lot of work to enable us to play a back four. Given what we have now and what we already require then it isn't really worth it.

We've only got Boly that's capable of playing in a PL class back four, so that can fuck off

Wouldn't disagree. I'm not suggesting we go to a back four, but do think we need to explore how to mix things up somewhat, especially if we need to change games, or are nullified.

It's all going to be different next season. There'll be very, very few teams who come to Molineux aiming for a point for a start.

Agreed. I'm wondering how we'll react to going one down and teams trying to shut up shop. This season, we'd have teams park the bus, potentially for 90 mins. Suspect next year games will have more phases, so be interesting to see how we develop.

It's all going to be different next season. There'll be very, very few teams who come to Molineux aiming for a point for a start.

Managing expectations

Well as the season ends already we are installed as 7th favourites for the title in the premier league. I just wanted to put on paper what that actually means. It means that we are likely to lose more games than we win. It means that, for a season to be called a success we need to lose less than 6 home games. It means to me that a good cup run would be fantastic. It’s the ONLY way we are going to win silverware in the premier league for a while even if we continue to grow on the pitch and off.

And here is why- stay with me for this- They are called the big six for a reason. Ultimately you start the season looking at those 12 games as 12 losses. Points there are a bonus.. Now in reality that never actually happens but the best record so far this year is 2 wins four draws from those sides scrapping around the bottom. So lets say we match that next year our points from those 12 games would be 10. We have done it in the past taking points off spurs, arsenal, Liverpool Chelsea and Man Utd over our seasons in the premier league so its not a huge reach or leap of faith.

That leaves 26 other games. We must be looking to win 10 of those . That would give us 30 points plus the 10 from the top six giving 40 points. With 12 wins and 4 draws and 22 defeats, 16 of which will be against teams outside the big six. That’s enough to stay in the league but hopefully we are looking to do better than that. Turn half the non big six defeats into draws and you get 48 points 12 wins 12 draws and 14 defeats. That record would give you a top 10 finish. Personally I would take that. So just for a bit of fun I decided to put my shamanistic juju hat on and tried to put teams to that.
Target wins for next year
Everton
West Ham
Cardiff
two of the big 6
Leicester
Burnley
Swansea/ Huddersfield/ Southampton/ (Two from)
Play off winner.
Brighton/Bournemouth 1 from
Newcastle /Watford 1 from

Total= 12 wins.

That looks do-able?

The system has worked brilliantly this season and I think it will be of a huge benefit to us next season. It will help us to continue to build from the back in possession and be solid in defence too I don't see Nuno changing it.

Agreed. I'm wondering how we'll react to going one down and teams trying to shut up shop. This season, we'd have teams park the bus, potentially for 90 mins. Suspect next year games will have more phases, so be interesting to see how we develop.

I think there will be more drawn home games, significantly more than we have sen for a while. It may be that we sign some extra attacking threat. If so we could sneak some extra wins. Ithink that the 7th favourite for the title is very very optimistic. Top 10 is a realistic aim and to do that will still require significamt investment and significant improvement. This year we have won at Southampton and drawn with swansea before ultimately going out of the cup and where are they in the premier league?. A backs against the wall draw at Man City was rightly lauded but I wouldnt fancy us to do it again with the same personnel. There really wont be any easy games next season and it would be pure folly to think we are just going to have to turn up to get points at home. Defensively we will concede more. That could be rightly counterbalanced IF we sign a qaulity striker. I can see enough creativity to make chances , unlike our last visit to the premier league. But if people think we are going to be challenging top 6 at presnt I fear thats optimistic borderline delusion.

Burnley have 14 wins with a game to play, i’d want us to be aiming for similar, hopefully...

The system has worked brilliantly this season and I think it will be of a huge benefit to us next season. It will help us to continue to build from the back in possession and be solid in defence too I don't see Nuno changing it.

Just for clarity, I'm not saying we should abandon 3-4-3 in any way. But I do think we need some flexibility should it prove less effective. I do think we will need options come August.

Successful teams don't tend to bollock around with formations.

What would be nice is a striker with Leo's footballing ability but a bit more pace and with more of an eye for goal, and a striker with Afobe's pace and basic finishing ability, but who can actually control a ball. Then you have two different options, rather than two forwards who would be great if you could combine them in a hybrid.

The four inside forward options we already have in Costa, Cav, Jota and MGW all offer different things as it is.

We'll be after a CM who is a better version of Alf (ie one that doesn't switch off randomly for 10-20 minutes a time, knows when it's appropriate to vacate midfield and marks up properly).

It'll be personnel elsewhere that changes, not the basic template.

What would be nice is a striker with Leo's footballing ability but a bit more pace and with more of an eye for goal, and a striker with Afobe's pace and basic finishing ability, but who can actually control a ball. Then you have two different options, rather than two forwards who would be great if you could combine them in a hybrid.

The four inside forward options we already have in Costa, Cav, Jota and MGW all offer different things as it is.

We'll be after a CM who is a better version of Alf (ie one that doesn't switch off randomly for 10-20 minutes a time, knows when it's appropriate to vacate midfield and marks up properly).

That's it for me, plus an LWB, RWB and potentially another RCB

Which is why I said on the transfer thread this morning that I don't believe the Allen or Wilshere rumours. I don't see either of them as the +1 to Neves. Can only see both of them in a 433 down here which would involve us signing a number 10 or moving Jota there, a centre half a centre forward and two full backs in addition. I just don't see it.

Which is why I said on the transfer thread this morning that I don't believe the Allen or Wilshere rumours. I don't see either of them as the +1 to Neves. Can only see both of them in a 433 down here which would involve us signing a number 10 or moving Jota there, a centre half a centre forward and two full backs in addition. I just don't see it.
I wouldn't expect a change to 433 to prompt a chase for a No.10, think it'd be more likely to see Neves sitting deepest in the centre with the wider players having plenty of legs to get up and down whilst offering some protection to the fullbacks defensively. Think the likes of Jota and Costa would end up having to play a lot wider to accommodate a No.10 and then you're looking more 451/4231.

Back