• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Testimonial Vs Shrewsbury with *the* promotion team awaits.

Good old Dave, knows just how to hoodwink managers and supporters with half a dozen reasonable (no more) performances to get a nice couple of years extra on his deal.

He's a great pro, I don't necessarily have a problem with him being at the club. It's that multiple managers watch him play ok for a 3-6 game spell, then watch him do literally nothing of any value for three months and still pick him every week. Maybe Lambert will buck that trend, probably not though.

Pleased for him but piss poor from the club. No room for sentimentality in football and keeping mediocre players past their best and is actively detrimental to a passing style of play isn't going to achieve FOSUN's dream of getting in the PL. Especially when their new manager is on record as saying the squad is too big, there's a space right there that could be filled by an actual footballer.

I'm sure he's a lovely guy though.

I'm not really surprised he's got an extension - he's played well enough so far to earn it - but it's that it's an extra two and a half years that's surprising. He's 31 in February, it's a bit of a risk giving any player that age longer deals (with the notable exception of goalkeepers) unless they're indispensable to the team, which I don't think Edwards has ever really been seen as, even within the club.

If any of Price, Evans, or Saville don't also get new deals in the next few weeks, expect them to be on their way come June, if not earlier.

As a squad player or someone coming off the bench I don't mind at all. I also think he is useful to the younger players and a good role model albeit not technically. Now if he is still a first team regular at the start of next season we can again write off any form of a promotion challenge as he just isn't good enough.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

He's probably playing the best he's ever done for us to be fair. I still wouldn't have given him a contract though, surely we could get someone in who can influence games more than him?

That's a really nice interview from Dave and for a Welsh Wolves fan from Shropshire it's particularly moving. I know I've never really taken to him as a footballer- I think he summed up everything that was wrong with Mick McCarthy's approach to the midfield and football as a whole (all graft and no craft) - but he does seem to have matured as a footballer and certainly comes across well as a man. Shame he still can't pass or tackle, really.

Fair play to them. I thought we shafted them quite frankly and don't know how we got around the like for like ticket rules to do so.

It would be preferable if everyone (us included) stopped charging such nutbar prices for second tier football. It's this tit for tat, pointless comparison nonsense that Jez used to indulge in, frankly Jez I'm not interested if Ipswich charge their own fans silly money. It doesn't mean we have to pitch our own prices only ever so slightly lower to look marginally better.

Our current price point is demonstrably too high, matchday and season ticket prices. Whether I choose to pay it is neither here nor there (frankly, I don't have anything better to do on a Saturday), I'm not an entire fanbase and we shouldn't be having 10,000 empty seats for most home games. I can't think of many other industries where you'd see an obviously failing model and continue to run with it.

Given our current resources, surely Bayern's* approach would be a great move?

*I think it's Bayern who charge very little for prices as it's essentially pocket change to them...?

So Brad Pitt is going to be our Manager with Tom Cruise as his assistant and we will have Diego Costa up front. Ace

Doubt it. Thelwell doesn't want foreigners coming over here and stealing our jobs, remember?

Given our current resources, surely Bayern's* approach would be a great move?

*I think it's Bayern who charge very little for prices as it's essentially pocket change to them...?

Bayern offer a headline grabbing ultra-cheap season ticket but there are literally only a couple of hundred of them available. Their ticket prices aren't extortionate by any means - relative to German football or European football in general - but they aren't that cheap (worth remembering though that Munich itself is pretty affluent). Dortmund are about the best example as they make far more of the cheap tickets available - especially as they're based in an area with a similar profile to the West Midlands - and it's all focused on making sure that massive capacity is filled every week.

Bayern offer a headline grabbing ultra-cheap season ticket but there are literally only a couple of hundred of them available. Their ticket prices aren't extortionate by any means - relative to German football or European football in general - but they aren't that cheap (worth remembering though that Munich itself is pretty affluent). Dortmund are about the best example as they make far more of the cheap tickets available - especially as they're based in an area with a similar profile to the West Midlands - and it's all focused on making sure that massive capacity is filled every week.

I think it helps they have the 50+1 rule of ownership too. Clubs can't get away with shit CEO's or bad ticket pricing for very long and unsurprisingly the culture is more centred around the fans and player development rather than a bunch of greedy fuckers trying to screw fans for every penny whilst claiming they are the best in the business.

Newcastle at home moved to 5.30 for Sky.

Incoming posts about how it's a disgrace etc...

Back