• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

I've gone back and found mine and EP's discussion in July 2019. I don't get paid extra for this you know.

EP: A football club isn't just about the football side of things, LD is the best MD we've had in my lifetime and I expected both him and the owners to want to move forward together, whether he is leaving for another club or has done something underhand - it's not good news is it.

Me: Well we've had three MDs, John Richards, Jez Moxey (later CEO) and Laurie Dalrymple.

And two of them had the same job as Laurie in name only.

He was a Commercial Director with additional responsibilities, I liked the guy but I'm not quaking in my boots that he's gone.

Kevin Thelwell and Jeff Shi run the football side of affairs.

So he did voice concerns, and I told him it had nothing to do with football.

So we're basically in the same place now :D

All went wrong when Kevvy T pissed off to America then....

- EP makes ridiculous statement
- Gets called out
- Doubles down
- Crys about it

4 across. Wolves Forum Bingo.
Ridiculous statement? Nope.
Gets called out? Nope.
Doubles down? Nope.

EP Gets piled on? Yes
EP Gets talked to like shit? Yes
EP Moans about being talked to like shit? Yes
EP Gets told he is playing the victim? Yes

All went wrong when Kevvy T pissed off to America then....
I do think with this one, people were more rabbit eared. Not so much Thelwell the individual leaving, but what it represented.

I don't think anybody disputed that at all and I would say most thought it was odd, particularly because we were so successful at that time.

Beginning of the end? That's just rubbish, not a single person thought that, not even you and you're the most pessimistic poster I know!
I don't think I'm anywhere near the most pessimistic these days. The Jeff Shi effect :ROFLMAO:

(but your post did make me chuckle - in a good way!)

I've gone back and found mine and EP's discussion in July 2019. I don't get paid extra for this you know.

EP: A football club isn't just about the football side of things, LD is the best MD we've had in my lifetime and I expected both him and the owners to want to move forward together, whether he is leaving for another club or has done something underhand - it's not good news is it.

Me: Well we've had three MDs, John Richards, Jez Moxey (later CEO) and Laurie Dalrymple.

And two of them had the same job as Laurie in name only.

He was a Commercial Director with additional responsibilities, I liked the guy but I'm not quaking in my boots that he's gone.

So he did voice concerns, and I told him it had nothing to do with football.

So we're basically in the same place now :D
Am I missing something but 'Beginning of the end' doesn't seem to be there. Can you find it for me please?

I've met Dalrymple several times in his former life - he is exactly the sort of sales / marketing man EP would hate.

I quite liked Dalrymple, on the face of things he seemed quite affable although I never met the bloke. He was key in repairing the bond between the club and the fans and that disintegrated almost as soon as he left. But the vast majority don’t care about that, the crowds haven’t turned and the majority haven’t even noticed as Jeff tore down that relationship single handedly.

But let’s be real, Dalrymple leaving had absolutely fuck all to do with where we are now.

I’d like to think if Dalrymple was still here the ST fiasco wouldn’t have happened. Who knows, but I think he’d have been a lot more aware of the long term impact it will have.

There was a fair old price hike under his watch tbf.

£449 in 2018/19 (which was in itself a decent jump from Championship prices [£345 in 2017/18], but you can understand that) to £514 in 2019/20 behind the goals.

I’d like to think if Dalrymple was still here the ST fiasco wouldn’t have happened. Who knows, but I think he’d have been a lot more aware of the long term impact it will have.
Reporting has said there were plenty of people behind the scenes telling him not to do it. He would have ignored Dalrymple or for that matter anyone

Back