• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

And at the same time judging those supporters who don't donate. It's fucking shameful.

I feel I've paid Sir Jack his tenner back a hundredfold over the years, I don't need a prick like Jez Moxey telling me that I obviously don't value his memory because I didn't cough up £10 towards a statue.

Fully agreed. Near on 28 years of attendance, I don't like to think about how much I've spent on tickets, travel, overnight stays, merchandise etc in all that time, often at times when I couldn't really afford it, I don't much appreciate a guilt trip. I won't be donating as Sir Jack didn't want a statue when he was alive, I don't think he needs one now he's dead and the club certainly don't need the likes of me to pay for it.

And at the same time judging those supporters who don't donate. It's fucking shameful.

I feel I've paid Sir Jack his tenner back a hundredfold over the years, I don't need a prick like Jez Moxey telling me that I obviously don't value his memory because I didn't cough up £10 towards a statue.

Not commentated on this before, but have read what has been said - not sure that there is any more than if you want to give fine if you don't then do that

Fair bit of crap reporting & internet anger over individual interpretations.

Get the impression that the statue will happen however many (or how few) donations are received

We wouldn't have owed him millions if he had been a more successful owner. SJH is proof that throwing money at something is no guarantee of success in football. For years, the club's existence was purely down to one man. Had he lost the personal/financial battle with his family Wolves could have gone under very quickly.

Take away the fact he was a Wolves fan who wore his heart on his sleeve and the reality is we were completely and utterly dependent on him for years and one season in the greed league was the full extent of his ownership.

Under Morgan, who was also able to invest in the way SJH had (I accept that was due to the terms of the sale) we were promoted within two seasons and spent three years in the greed league. Morgan's record at Wolves massively eclipses SJH, one is beatified the other beaten with any stick available.

The academy, although started under Sir Jack, was massively accelerated under Morgan. If that produces in the next 3 or 4 years it will be because of Morgan not Sir Jack.

I liked Jack but I was a season ticket holder for every single year of his ownership and the vast majority of it was mediocre on the pitch where it mattered most, year after year of dashed hopes.

The 30 million and Mick McCarthy got us promoted. The PL was a leaving present from Sir Jack. He was once in a lifetime gentleman, the same as Steve Bull was.

Did you read my previous posts?

If he said what Lycan said then he's a prick. If he said what you said then fine, no problem.

This was the entire quote.

We are responding to supporters who want the statue and so do we. Says it is up to every single fan to ask themselves: Is it worth me giving £10 back to SJH for all he did for our football club and all the fantascit memories he has created? Rest assured. This statue will be built, Come what may! Surely everyone can read between the lines on that one? I hope every fan can give something back then it is the fans doing it.

The 30 million and Mick McCarthy got us promoted. The PL was a leaving present from Sir Jack. He was once in a lifetime gentleman, the same as Steve Bull was.

We did not spend £30 million to get us promoted - that is just revionism of the highest order.

Perhaps we can get some t-shirts done so everyone knows who the lepers are.
shirt.jpg

Some of those parliament answers still look like nonsense to me.

All that shit about it being soooooooo difficult to replace Afobe because you can't line anything up beforehand and then everyone bumps their prices up, how long have these fuckers worked in football? Surely they know the score by now? And if it's really so difficult to do then why do so many other clubs manage it? Didn't seem a struggle for QPR to replace Austin did it? Southampton have had their top players grabbed from them since they got promoted but I don't see them struggling to sign replacements or paying over the odds to get average players through the door.

And that line about all Wolves staff being headhunted, shame none of those are the really important staff behind a football team, all well and good having your medical team poached by the England set up but when was the last time any bigger club was looking at a Wolves manager? Not even that common for Wolves players to be snatched away by higher positioned sides either is it.

Moxey just sells these stories from the grey areas of the club where no-one can really prove him wrong, no supporter is going to know the intricate ins and outs of a transfer so it's easy for him to say various deals fell down for different reasons without being found out, likewise with his alleged grand scheme in the backroom, who knows if there are other clubs looking on enviously at the way Wolves do some things, there certainly aren't going to be many envying the players, performances and results lately.

Jez is the one who's choosing to tug at the heartstrings of the fans by urging them to remember the 'fantastic memories' that Sir Jack left us with. I just don't have that many fantastic memories of that period is all, we underachieved badly and there are not many seasons between 1990 and 2007 that I look back especially fondly on. He also had a spell between 1997 and 2001 where we were basically run as we are now (which everyone appears to hate), sell anything worth selling, no spending beyond what was brought in. We also drifted badly post PL relegation and wound up having to sell Lescott for a very low fee.

I greatly appreciate what he did for the club even if a lot of it didn't pan out well, the way he sold it worked out well for us in the end, but a) there is a chance his strict criteria drove away potential investors that we could have got on board waaaaay earlier than 2007 (and who's to say they wouldn't have been better than Morgan, and who's to say what the level of investment would have been or where we'd be now) and b) it's a bit much for him to be grabbing credit for anything that happened after he left. That, by definition, had nothing to do with him.

Neither do I. He's saying that if the fans want to contribute so they can feel they've helped build something, then carry on, if not, there'll still be a statue built.

Me neither. I'm happy to contribute. In fact it will be nice to see the statue and feel part of it, however small.

Back