• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Fulham 3-2 Wolves: Verdict Thread

I feel guilty slaughtering Doc as there are several others whose performances were very 'bang average' last night. But it was genuinely one of the worst professional performances I've ever seen. Mark Williams debut first touch bad, Stancliffe versus Barnsley bad, Mike Small bad but with Halford levels of effort and O'Hara levels of application.
There is a difference between having a poor game and just being a poor player.

Not his fault we signed him (rare cross against Hobbs for that one) and not his fault he played (GO brain fart there) but christ, I would say he is now a worse version of the RB we had pre-Nuno.

I've mentioned this bit in the VAR thread, but I was delighted that Gary referred to these decisions (Being acknowledged as wrong afterwards) have cost us around 6 or 7 points this season.
It's kind of wrong that this whole sport, the very essence of the game is based around accumulating points. As many as possible, blah blah, so this whole badly run VAR exercise kind of rubbishes that whole concept.
They train every day, they practice, they try things out, at massive expense, MASSIVE, to then have VAR wipe it all away, is a kind of theft.
If we weren't as good as we are, we'd be in the bottom three, muttering and hand wringing over these lost 6 or 7 points which might be sending us down and into who knows what sort of financial oblivion.
The point I'm getting at is it's all about POINTS and that we can glibly throw away the phrase and not be able to do something about it is ludicrous.
The MASSIVE amount of money that's involved in Football, and at it's very core is a poxy little bolt on system that's in the process of fucking up the whole thing is almost too much to get your head around.
It's like a big fat juicy apple and inside the very middle is a tiny worm that's getting bigger and it will get bigger until the apple is fucked.
The 6-7 points thing isn't really true. Its a possible outcome if VAR had done its job properly

Infact the only issue over our games where VAR has changed anything was the 2nd penalty last night. All other decisions would have been given if VAR didn't exist so we would be sat here like little Rafa's saying " we need the VAR"

Being generous it's 5 points if we're only counting ones where they've admitted it's wrong.

A point at Old Trafford (assuming we score the penalty), Bramall Lane and Craven Cottage (Salisbury admits he should have been told to look at the first and would have overturned it, he says the second one is a pen). Then you have to be generous and say we'd have beaten Newcastle, which is nowhere near as clear cut, all those first three incidents are virtually last kick of the match so you can clearly say the outcome would have been different, there was an entire half to go against Newcastle and who knows how it would have panned out.

They stand by the Luton penalty even though we all think it's drivel.

Then you have to ignore Doherty shoving Watkins over for no reason and getting away with it in the last minute vs Villa.

Or people convincing themselves that Jake Cassidy was the Welsh Steve Bull because he knocked in a few on loan for Tranmere.

Actually Cassidy vs Blackburn in Saunders' first game was on the same kind of level as Doc last night, like where you can tell inside five minutes that this guy is laughably out of his depth.
Yeah, he just didn’t have the eye of the tiger did he

Or people convincing themselves that Jake Cassidy was the Welsh Steve Bull because he knocked in a few on loan for Tranmere.

Actually Cassidy vs Blackburn in Saunders' first game was on the same kind of level as Doc last night, like where you can tell inside five minutes that this guy is laughably out of his depth.

Did Kenny Jackett use Cassidy and leave Griffiths and Sako on the bench as he'd fallen out with them? Was it MK Dons at home?

Did Kenny Jackett use Cassidy and leave Griffiths and Sako on the bench as he'd fallen out with them? Was it MK Dons at home?
Cassidy played on Boxing Day at home vs Crewe, he was incredibly bad

Griffiths was on the bench (came on and scored at the end) as Ken knew he was almost certainly leaving so we had to find out if what we had at the club was going to be good enough to replace him. They were not.

GON had a bit of a shocker last night but he has got more right than wrong recently so I'm willing to let him off (yes, I am a changed man). He's gonig to make mistakes but as long as he learns along the away then I can live with that.

Please don't ever play Matt Doherty on the left ever again. Or even better, please don't play Matt Doherty ever again.

There's no point me adding anything extra about VAR. It's not corruption, it is just plain incompetence. VAR as a concept should be good for the game but is just a mess at the moment.

Cassidy played on Boxing Day at home vs Crewe, he was incredibly bad

Griffiths was on the bench (came on and scored at the end) as Ken knew he was almost certainly leaving so we had to find out if what we had at the club was going to be good enough to replace him. They were not.
That was the one I was thinking of.

The 6-7 points thing isn't really true. Its a possible outcome if VAR had done its job properly

Infact the only issue over our games where VAR has changed anything was the 2nd penalty last night. All other decisions would have been given if VAR didn't exist so we would be sat here like little Rafa's saying " we need the VAR"
This assumes the presence of VAR doesn’t affect the refs decision making in real time. I think it does.

It was reported recently that Howard Webb wants VAR to be more involved with refereeing decisions when there's doubt and encourage reviews more often. Possibly what encouraged Atwell to get involved on the Gomes penalty.

Also said was that they don't want to promote lower league officials to VAR duty as they don't think they will be good enough. I disagree, if they know the rules and can apply them correctly then they're good enough, officials or not.
That’s fine. But then they send him to the screen for the Semedo penalty as well.

I can live with the onfield decision being incorrect in instances last night. I thought all 3 in real time (albeit from the comfort of my home) were penalties. They have a couple of seconds to make a decision. It’s the incompetence and inconsistency of when they are sent to the monitor, and when they’re not.

The clear and obvious needs to go. It’s just far too much subjectivity. What is clear and obvious, on what scale etc. it’s either the correct decision or not. Again, there’s some subjectivity in that, however atleast you’re simplifying it. If they did that, last night the semedo one would be overturned, as would the Gomes one IMO.

I’m probably more annoyed about the headbutt, and how it’s a red card if kilman throws himself to the floor, ala Podence. Encouraging cheating is bollocks.

As mentioned, this takes away though from a pretty flat and poor performance, abd a very strange set up last night

Just a reminder.. but for penalty decisions at Sheffield and Fulham, we'd be on a run of 9 unbeaten games. Kind of suggests the management team and players are doing something right.

As compensation, can we have Everton's points as they're not using them?

Just a reminder.. but for penalty decisions at Sheffield and Fulham, we'd be on a run of 9 unbeaten games. Kind of suggests the management team and players are doing something right.
They are doing more right than wrong, absolutely. But doesn’t mean they’re immune from criticism and GoN got it wrong last night. Doesn’t mean he needs to go or anything. Sometimes managers get it wrong, even the likes of Pep do. They’re allowed to be criticised as well as praised.

I’m still very much aboard the GoN train, but yesterday I had to pay for a new boiler, and that didn’t make me as cross as seeing Doherty on the left for 60 minutes.

On the performance, I questioned why Hugo wasn’t the more obvious choice to replace RAN on the matchday thread last night and I think the response was “probably not fit”. If that’s the case he shouldn’t be on the bench.
If he's coming back from injury surely the idea would have been to give him the last 10 minutes or so. Slowly get him back up to match fitness. The assessment would have been that 60 minutes (or thereabouts) was too long for him in the circumstances and as we were playing (a fluid) 3 at the back Doc was a better fit than Sarabia. Not ideal but those are the cards that O'Neil has been dealt.

If he's coming back from injury surely the idea would have been to give him the last 10 minutes or so. Slowly get him back up to match fitness. The assessment would have been that 60 minutes (or thereabouts) was too long for him in the circumstances and as we were playing (a fluid) 3 at the back Doc was a better fit than Sarabia. Not ideal but those are the cards that O'Neil has been dealt.
Jonny was on the bench, a broken version of him would have been a better option than Doherty for that position

Jonny was on the bench, a broken version of him would have been a better option than Doherty for that position
Quite possibly. I was really just making an observation as to why Bueno wasn't used.

Quite possibly. I was really just making an observation as to why Bueno wasn't used.
It may have been just a bad decision by the manager 🤷

Same as he did by bringing Doyle on instead of Sarabia.

Back