• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Fulham 3-2 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Why though? They're arbiters of the game, if there was even 1 whistleblower that confirmed this the PGMOL would be suspended and people would lose their jobs immediately.

Why would anybody risk that, it's just too much risk.
It doesn't have to be an overt act though does it? I don't for one believe there's a conspiracy against us it was merely a suggestion.

People are people at the end of the day and decisions, are subjective and if you can believe that Atwell would deliberately hold a grudge against us, then what's to stop other officials from doing the same for some imperceivable slight that we may or not be aware of.

I don't like to sign on conspiracy theories, nor perceived malice, but it's getting a bit too ridiculous how we keep getting these decisions against us every bloody time.

Last night we had two different criteria applied to us. First VAR doesn't overturn a bad penalty call because it was not obvious, only to then revert another not-so-obvious call when the ref judged it wasn't a penalty. Both times in our prejudice. It's hard not to feel irritated by this.

I'm more irritated about us playing Matt Doherty (out of position, at that) in the Premier League in November 2023. Or not having a clue how to use our 6'7'' striker. Or taking off all our flair in Bellegarde and Cunha for no reason.

Bad decisions are priced in because we have bad officials.

And as Tony said on another thread, by discussing this incompetence we are letting GoN off from a really badly managed game and giving some of the players a pass too.
The over riding emotion of the game though is VAR. It wipes out everything else. VAR does its job and GO has snuck a point out or maybe even have robbed all 3 and thats how football works sometimes. You get a result you don't fully deserve.

but he did have a Crystal Palace of a game with regards to his game management though. Is this an area where he is going to struggle. Thinking he can lock down a game with 20-30 mins to go? He then struggles to get it back on the front foot when it fails

The introduction of Doc for RAN was quite frankly fucking baffling. I am not going to go down the road and go all personal on Doc and drop things like the c bomb on him so will just treat it as a straight forward review......the drop off in quality when the ball reached him was so visible! concrete in his boots and looked like we had plucked a 39 year old from Conference South and asked to play him a PL game after attending a stag weekend in Amsterdam. Appalling that we re-signed him and appalling we think he is a viable option at this level. Hugo must have have regretted signing his new deal last night.
Another away game with a slow start and yet again a goal comes from it being so easy to get down the side of us. Their goal has Iwobi unmarked 7 yards out and its not as if they countered quickly us on us. They made a slow passing move across the park and he was allowed to stroll into the area.

Lemina had a good game but he is at fault for the 1st penalty. Giving up possession where he did should not have happened.

All in all a fucking shite night and despite us not being all that good the ref and VAR are yet again the main talking point and even though its not the case, it just feels right now like they are targeting us. They way its going I think its a safe bet that Wolves v Everton won't get a live viewing as it will be a very united fanbase in that game with one chant in mind.

There's definitely no overarching conspiracy against us, but this current set of PGMOL officials are a combination of inept to the point of not even being able to do the basics at times, and maybe slightly biased against us because of past incidents. Even going back to Nuno and Lee Mason.

It was reported recently that Howard Webb wants VAR to be more involved with refereeing decisions when there's doubt and encourage reviews more often. Possibly what encouraged Atwell to get involved on the Gomes penalty.

Also said was that they don't want to promote lower league officials to VAR duty as they don't think they will be good enough. I disagree, if they know the rules and can apply them correctly then they're good enough, officials or not.

I'm still angry about the 2 red cards, thats just fucking shit. There is no subjectiveness there - its just wrong. Soft-headbut. Wanker.
Game changes on the 1st one. Ream should be booked and then we are sat at 2-2 with a man advantage*

*or 10 v 10 as we were carrying Doc..

We were bang average last night but still warranted a point from the game.
Defence is far more ropey with Dawson not there.
Substitutions were odd ones and we tactically got it wrong.
GON made some errors last night but even still didn’t deserve to be losing the game.
I hate talking about officiating and VAR post match games. Much more comfortable knowing that a defeat is fully down to us and not external forces pushing against us.
Keep saying there’s no conspiracy, just incompetence and a level of unconscious bias that’s just how the human brain works unfortunately.

If there is no RAN against Arsenal and GON starts Doc I'm back on the GON out train.

If Bueno is not fit shuffle everyone over and slot Dawson back in.

Not often I wake up MORE angry than I did the night before. It's beyond a joke now, so many appalling, wrong decisions going against us. We're now at the point where more and more people simply can't understand how bad the officials can be, that corruption seems to be the more logical conclusion!

I don't think it's corruption, just rank, RANK incompetence. How the absolute fuck they can spend several minutes checking one of the penalty calls and STILL get it wrong - and then admit they got it wrong - is simply not good enough. We're being fucked over pretty much every week at the moment. Morons watching a screen don't intervene when they should, and do intervene when they shouldn't. And then get it wrong anyway.

By the end of the game, I was pretty much resigned to the fact that we've been cheated by the officials once again. Another game ruined. Cheers, lads.

As for our performance - thought we were okay but definitely didn't deserve all 3 points. I'm frustrated that we didn't take more advantage of some pretty calamitous Fulham defending, so many unenforced errors at the back for them. In fairness to them, going forward they looked quite useful, a lot more than I expected them to be and they caused us plenty of problems.

Of course, it doesn't help when we have to play Doherty for 75 minutes, and as soon as he came on we lost a key outlet in Ait-Nouri and basically had a hindrance in his place. He simply should not be anywhere near our team.

We need to start games better as well - a very sloppy goal to give away (Bellegarde at least atoned for losing his man for their goal by superbly crafting Cunha's equaliser)

Should have been an entertaining draw for the neutrals with errors from both sides, but here we are yet again talking about fucking officials 95% of the time.

Also - although I wasn't impressed with some of the subs he made, kudos to O'Neil for his very dignified (and IMO wholly correct) post match interview. Must have been so tempting to call the lot of them incompetent cunts.

It was reported recently that Howard Webb wants VAR to be more involved with refereeing decisions when there's doubt and encourage reviews more often. Possibly what encouraged Atwell to get involved on the Gomes penalty.

Also said was that they don't want to promote lower league officials to VAR duty as they don't think they will be good enough. I disagree, if they know the rules and can apply them correctly then they're good enough, officials or not.
That's another failure on them that they can't or won't train up officials to do there jobs, keeping it within a cozy clique. Nice earner game Saturday, VAR Sunday.

it's not that hard, fuck me the audio we all heard, the operator beside the clown for tottenham/ liverpool was more competant then the "trained" official.

And as Tony said on another thread, by discussing this incompetence we are letting GoN off from a really badly managed game and giving some of the players a pass too.
I don't disagree, but the fact is, without 4 (FOUR!) ridiculous decisions going against us last night, we either win or at worst, draw, that match.

I agree with you that there's not a "conspiracy", but I am now also falling on the side of the debate where it's difficult to argue against some sort of issue with the officiating in games we're involved in that's got to be more than just "bad luck". You just don't see this level of consistently poor/wrong decision making happening at other clubs. There's the odd one, of course - which there always will be when you have incompetent people in charge - but to have as many have we have had? I don't buy it. I think there's some sort of unconscious bias against us for God knows what reason. It's too much of a coincidence now. Imagine if someone like Liverpool, or Arsenal had FOUR (!) incorrect decisions go against them in the same match? Christ, we wouldn't stop hearing about it for months. Thankfully now - in part possibly to GON being liked by the media - some of the mainstream journalists, pundits etc are calling it out and making the noise for us.

I'd still like the club to put out some sort of official statement about it not being acceptable. Can we request to not have certain referees/officials involved with our games? Atwell is one, but Salisbury was not only the ref last night, but the VAR ref for the complete shocker v Man Utd. He's directly cost us points through incompetence one more than one occasion this season - surely we can request to not have him involved in our games moving forward?

Someone said last night on social media that Wolves have now had a similar number of points deducted through poor onfield/VAR decisions as Everton have had for breaking FFP. It makes you think.

No one wants to even consider corruption, or a conspiracy.

The fact remains we are by far the worst affected team in the last 2 years by piss poor decisions, that actually prove Cheating is in play. Laugh and deride all you like, but last night's game demands an inquiry into the game.

Penalty not being over turned as not a big error
No second Yellow
No Straight Red
Then in the dying seconds the ref turns a 50/50 down, the Bar then instructs him to look.

Sorry guys last night was 90 minutes of cheating and corruption at its finest.

I think the potential 2nd yellow is a bit overblown, could have been given but not egregious

Cricket, snooker, tennis and boxing have all had issues with either players or officials cheating. Given the amount of money involved in football is it really likely that there isn’t some corruption in football? The fact so many officials are incompetent makes the work of anyone who is corrupt much easier as they could hide in plain sight. I have no idea if there has been any corruption in the decisions we’ve had this season but I do know that making dodgy calls in Wolves games against Luton, SU and Fulham will attract a lot less attention than many games.

Last night everything seemed stacked against us, two early yellows not given and then another for the penalty. Is it just going back to the 1980s and allowing a free hit (or two) early on? Surely officials don’t think line that but the alternative explanation is gross incompetence as every fan watching knows both should have got yellows.
Then just like Lemina last season at Southampton we get a new rule that doesn’t apply to anyone else - the soft headbutt. It’s almost as if the ref officials didn’t want Fulham down to ten men. Why? Incompetence or it is possible that they’ve been influenced in some way.

I watch rugby and the officials talk through decisions and generally everyone understands the final decision and the process taken to reach it. Football needs to do the same then there’s no bollocks like Salisbury saying he should have watched the first penalty- he tells Atwell he’s going to rather than letting Atwell make the decision.

I think the potential 2nd yellow is a bit overblown, could have been given but not egregious
One of those that he hasn't already got a yellow he would have been shown one. A push that was going to deny a shooting chance. He was lucky IMO

But then again Robinson took out Bellegarde with a horrible challenge early on and the ref let it go and that was a clear yellow card (it appeared he played the worlds worst advantage though as he did kind of speak to Robinson after the incident)

Cricket, snooker, tennis and boxing have all had issues with either players or officials cheating.
In every one of those examples you've given except for the boxing one which I'm not familiar with, it's suspicious betting patterns which have given the red flag. The PL is the second biggest sports league in the world if that was going on it would be picked up, they'll be people employed just to look at it.

Back