• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Farage Ltd and Similar Watch

A lot of people don’t even realise they’re being racist, my old man had a new knee about ten years ago, when I visited him in hospital he said of one of the Doctors that were treating him, ‘he’s black but he’s alright’.
Never turned a hair when i shook my head and raised my eyebrows.

Last edited:
That's not going to change anything though. She's a racist because she's been fed racist propaganda. Perhaps she always was, perhaps she always will be, but I don't think she wants to be. I don't really have a conclusion or an action point, I just think it's sad that's where we are at. The RWP / Social Media / Farage have radicalised the gullible
No, she chooses racist propaganda because it confirms her own views. Listen to what she said about her grand daughter. There is plenty of non-racist views and opinion out there she could have chosen, she could have respected and learnt from her grand daughter but she chose to force her own view on her instead.

To an extent, we are all guilty of the same. - we all gravitate towards opinion that is more comfortable to us and rail against opinion that isn’t - that is human nature, to travel in a direction of our own prejudices, but we are not mindless to those prejudices and nor do we have to be controlled by them.

In part, of course, she is right. There is a real threat from Islamism n this country, but it is a fringe threat. The greatest threat comes from those who want to get our country back, she and her ilk are the greatest threat to out country at the present time. People who actively seek to sow and ferment distrust, disquiet and hatred (unless you’re a celebrity chef).

I note Farage is on Sunday with Laura the Tory. Why do the bbc persist with giving him airtime far in excess of what is merited by Refotm polling and likely seats?

I’m watching it - he got interviewed for a few minutes, they are doing the SNP next for a similar amount. Not sure if there is much blame to be put on the BBC - both nationalists and both have a lot of support.

Plaid have more seats and this level for them would be overkill. Hopefully the cunt used his time to spout utter bollocks and damage reform prospects

I note Farage is on Sunday with Laura the Tory. Why do the bbc persist with giving him airtime far in excess of what is merited by Refotm polling and likely seats?
His constant need for attention meets the BBC’s need for viewers and disinterest in quality control of their product.

Le Pen's party have absolutely romped France's EU elections, and so Macron has called a snap presidential election. Situation across Europe seeing electorates move to the right.

It's a trend across Europe unfortunately.
Right wing parties are gaining support and the more centrist parties feel they have to move a little to the right to stay in touch. It's very worrying.

Le Pen's party have absolutely romped France's EU elections, and so Macron has called a snap presidential election. Situation across Europe seeing electorates move to the right.
Parliamentary election only I think.

It's a trend across Europe unfortunately.
Right wing parties are gaining support and the more centrist parties feel they have to move a little to the right to stay in touch. It's very worrying.
It's what has always happened when you don't have a strong left. Time and time again historically, when the 'left' party moves rightwards to gain electoral support, the far right gains. It will happen here with Starmer's weak Labour Party. It is already beginning. Instead of trying to appease them and concede ground towards them by adopting some of their rhetoric but in a softer, nicer way, they have to be confronted and a real alternative to their vitriol has to be offered.

It's what has always happened when you don't have a strong left. Time and time again historically, when the 'left' party moves rightwards to gain electoral support, the far right gains. It will happen here with Starmer's weak Labour Party. It is already beginning. Instead of trying to appease them and concede ground towards them by adopting some of their rhetoric but in a softer, nicer way, they have to be confronted and a real alternative to their vitriol has to be offered.
So there was no strong left in the 1930s?

So there was no strong left in the 1930s?
No. The established social Democratic party appeased and appeased and Hitler constantly took more. The Communist Party did challenge the Nazis on the streets but in political terms the opposition was weak.

What the far right prey on are people's fears. People everywhere are feeling worried about their struggles economically, and the right always, always lay the blame for that on immigrants. What the left needs to do instead of pandering to that is lay the blame where it lies, which is in the inequalities built into the economic system. Address the wealth divide properly and a lot of the far right arguments become defunct.

This isn't a full answer, that would need a book, but that is essentially the crux of how the far right wins support. They target the poor, disenfranchised white working class.

Addressing social and economic inequality should be number 1 priority. An equitable and fairer redistribution of wealth. Eliminating profiteering by private enterprise and wealth hoarding by private individuals. Creating fairer and accessible social housing, removing private capital from health, education, energy, public transport. All of these things would go a long way to making the lives of ordinary people better and lead to less disenfranchisement.

And yes, none of these things are easy, but having the courage to actually stand up and say "These are the things we aspire to achieve", goes a long way to take the wind out of the far right's sails.

I also think that without addressing the legitimate social and economic concerns of ordinary people, the well-meaning tokenism of focusing on the language people use can sometimes be more detrimental than beneficial. It puts the cart before the horse. The discriminatory language happens when people believe that their problems are caused by the people that they use that language against, and deflects away from the real causes. Challenge the real causes and the discriminatory language will decline.

In terms of this country, I think mainstream parties constructively engaging with some of the people who have flirted with far right parties and figures is the start, surely. They either get blanked or labelled.

There are plenty of working class people who aren't evil but have been exploited because it's really only the Farage's who will have a conversation with them that isn't demonising or patronising

Back