• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Farage Ltd and Similar Watch

I was taking to someone on Wednesday who saw a sign at the new leisure centre in Dudley that said, 'Half Price Membership'. So, he went in and asked if he could join on the half price membership and the lady said 'How long have you been in the country?'. He was like 'I beg your pardon, I was born here and lived here all my life.' The lady then said 'No, you misunderstand, the offer is only open to immigrants and people who've been in the Country less than two years.'

I was taking to someone on Wednesday who saw a sign at the new leisure centre in Dudley that said, 'Half Price Membership'. So, he went in and asked if he could join on the half price membership and the lady said 'How long have you been in the country?'. He was like 'I beg your pardon, I was born here and lived here all my life.' The lady then said 'No, you misunderstand, the offer is only open to immigrants and people who've been in the Country less than two years.'

Can they do that? Surely it is discriminating against people who have lived in the UK for over two years.

What new leisure centre is that? The council haven't opened one and other than privately run gyms I dont know of any new leisure centres in Dudley.

027ed8301c70f9b67af07beab8d3688b.jpg

Wonder what a Dudley targeted post-code is ?

These neighbourhoods have been classified as areas of deprivation within the borough. Those applicants whose postcode is in on of these areas will be eligible to Options+.

Strange comment. Are you saying the lad I spoke to was lying?
Sounds more like being selective with what was told (concentrating on the one bit) or the member of staff likes to wind folk up.

Sounds more like being selective with what was told (concentrating on the one bit) or the member of staff likes to wind folk up.

I think the start of the conversation tells you all you need to know about the ladies thoughts.

Strange comment. Are you saying the lad I spoke to was lying?

I don't know. I have only a third hand account to rely on. It only takes 30 seconds to verify the facts though yet people still recount the story "as heard" like Chinese Whispers.

The story started off with "the new leisure centre" - there are no new leisure centres in Dudley. The lad you spoke to says he went into the leisure centre, there is no way it could be described as new. That rang alarm bells. Even the newest private leisure centre isn't all that new. There are a couple of gyms, one at Merry Hill, that have opened recently but they don't have swimming pools or sports halls which for me are a pre-requisite for a leisure centre.

Assuming it was Dudley Leisure Centre, there is nothing in the Options scheme that makes reference to "2 years". This was another factor in the story - there are a whole list of other qualifying criteria that your lad might well have qualified for so it seems strange that he only "heard" or was told about one crieria that doesn't exist.

Seems to me, if we are referring to a council run leisure centre - either the lady or the lad is lying/mistaken. I don't know which. Indeed I have no evidence that the conversation even happened.

I assume you believe nothing that you don't see with your own eyes or hear with your own ears?

I assume you believe nothing that you don't see with your own eyes or hear with your own ears?

Not necessarily but having used the leisure centre for many years (so not new) and the options scheme read with my own eyes (nothing about 2 years) the story doesn't ring true. Of course, it might be a different leisure centre or not even a leisure centre, but it doesn't feel right and rather than accept it at face value...I choose to question the veracity of the account.

There is only one leisure centre in Dudley that most people would commonly refer to as a leisure centre.

UKIP. Don't like forrinas. Happy to fill their houses with forrinas & take the housing benefit though:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/britains-wealthiest-private-landlords-being-paid-millions-in-housing-benefit-despite-social-housing-being-cut-10208208.html
The figures show that Ukip’s housing spokesman Andrew Charalambous is among the biggest landlord recipients of housing benefit, having received £826,395 in the last tax year, putting him 10th on the housing benefit rich list.

Back