• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Farage Ltd and Similar Watch

You sir, are a comedy genius.

Truth hurts, doesn't it Penk?
The funniest thing I heard all day, is a poster saying .....

"There's not a chance living standards have fallen in thirty years. Iiterally nobody I know is in a worse position financially, emotionally or health wise than they were 30 years ago. "

I will sleep well tonight.hahaha

You sir, are a comedy genius.

You are not bad yourself ,Penk.

When I worked at Birmingham Midshires the amount of times people chose to pay their Sky subscription before their mortgage payment was frightening.

hahahahaha. Love it.

hahhaha, no. The crack has gone out of the building trade, I have been told. My mates who are still in it, say things are starting to pick up again, money wise.
They were good times, but I do something completely different now.

The craic is still there.

They shouldn't be attracting such levels of support given their complete failure to produce any coherent economic or social policies to date - their strength in the polls is at odds with what they have put up for public consumption. However that is the fault of a politically illiterate electorate and a supine media more than anything else.

+ 1

What is been classed as poverty?

My brother in law and his wife earn about £400 a week between them they have 2 kids and another one on the way. He has a few cans of beer a night, he smokes, they go out now and again, and he some times goes up the Wolves with his son, I'm not sure whether they would be classed as living in poverty, but I certainly wouldn't class him as living in poverty.

I was up all night trying to digest the latest exchanges on this thread (not really) - and here are the headlines I took from THM:

He'll never vote for UKIP but agrees with everything they say.

He thinks "this" country is going to hell in a handcart and this is caused by immigration and/or big business and/or the established political parties past and present.

But he loves immigrants. Bloody loves them. Just not too many at once.

He is a booze-and-footy working class bloke who was minted when he was a bricklayer back in the day.

The views of angry, non-immigrant working class people are very valid and should never be dismissed, challenged or debated, no matter how muddleheaded or unsupported by evidence they may be.

Poverty EXISTS and is BAD. Academic reports on poverty on the other hand are fucking ace and should be copy and pasted endlessly.

That's your point of view and you are entitled to it. You are wrong and have made no worth while points yourself. If you had I might take your criticism more seriously.
Looks like you are trying to help a few mates out, who put up a very weak performance.
You will need to do better than that Kenny.

Helping no one out. Just utterly confused at what you post when trying to understand it. I'm not even sure you know what you are trying to say but as you no doubt say "you can lead a cow to water and feed him cake and let him steal sweets but you can't tickle it's udders and expect a well paid job at the end of it"

I was up all night trying to digest the latest exchanges on this thread (not really) - and here are the headlines I took from THM:

He'll never vote for UKIP but agrees with everything they say.

He thinks "this" country is going to hell in a handcart and this is caused by immigration and/or big business and/or the established political parties past and present.

But he loves immigrants. Bloody loves them. Just not too many at once.

He is a booze-and-footy working class bloke who was minted when he was a bricklayer back in the day.

The views of angry, non-immigrant working class people are very valid and should never be dismissed, challenged or debated, no matter how muddleheaded or unsupported by evidence they may be.

Poverty EXISTS and is BAD. Academic reports on poverty on the other hand are $#@!ing ace and should be copy and pasted endlessly.

I never doubted the middle classes would stick together.
You never mentioned the people who say "they have never seen anyone who wasn't better off than are now. You never mentioned the other poster who said

We are better off now than we were 30 years ago. Then when I put up various reports saying poverty has increased in the UK , since 30 years ago, he tries to blame poverty on the poor paying to watch Sky TV , before their debts to the bank.

So it doesn"t surprise me you are blind to your chums ignorance to the suffering in the UK and decide to attack someone, who was defending the people who are suffering.

I have nothing against immigrants, but I do have a problem of exploitation.
Another chum of yours put that we have a skill shortage in the building industry and said we should bring in immigrants. I think it would be a better idea to train our young, with all the profits that they have made in the past. Not because I have anything against immigrants, but because I think UKIP's rise in the the UK is directly associated to the young and poor being overlooked by politicians of all the main parties and it seems even by other people of the population.
The last thing I want is a fascist party in the UK. The best way to cut that at the roots, is to treat the peoplein the UK fairly.

And how long should this training go on for 1 day, 2 days or maybe 3 days?

Training of the young and apprenticeships are essential, but it doesn't happen overnight. However, I think this new Government scheme where you don't have to pay NI for the apprentice is totally wrong, as people will be taking them on to save money rather than the proper reason you should be taking on apprentices.

Your measure of poverty, well the one you've taken from someone else's study, and then used as a measure of quality of life isn't absolute though is it? It's all relative to the people at the top in different eras.

So back in the 80s there was something like 19% of the population, can't remember your exact figures, who were missing out of significant aspects of life compared to the well off people of the time, now in recent years there are apparently around 30% that are missing out on a fair chunk of what more affluent people can afford to do at the moment.

That doesn't mean that people's quality of life is now worse than it was 30 years ago, not even close.

All you're showing is a bigger jump between the haves and have nots than there was 30 years ago.

What activities/products did people have to miss out on 30 years ago to be classed as impoverished? Unable to heat their house, properly feed their families, that sort of thing?

How about now? Are people missing relative luxuries like the internet or Sky television now classed as being in the same state?

I bet it's a much better life being 'impoverished' now than it was 30 years ago, even if more people are falling victim to that scenario.

I never doubted the middle classes would stick together.
You never mentioned the people who say "they have never seen anyone who wasn't better off than are now. You never mentioned the other poster who said

We are better off now than we were 30 years ago. Then when I put up various reports saying poverty has increased in the UK , since 30 years ago, he tries to blame poverty on the poor paying to watch Sky TV , before their debts to the bank.

So it doesn"t surprise me you are blind to your chums ignorance to the suffering in the UK and decide to attack someone, who was defending the people who are suffering.

I have nothing against immigrants, but I do have a problem of exploitation.
Another chum of yours put that we have a skill shortage in the building industry and said we should bring in immigrants. I think it would be a better idea to train our young, with all the profits that they have made in the past. Not because I have anything against immigrants, but because I think UKIP's rise in the the UK is directly associated to the young and poor being overlooked by politicians of all the main parties and it seems even by other people of the population.
The last thing I want is a fascist party in the UK. The best way to cut that at the roots, is to treat the peoplein the UK fairly.

For the record, I don't have any "chums" on this board. I've never met anyone on here or really spoken to them outside of these boards. I can't help it if a lot of people disagree with you.

Your measure of poverty, well the one you've taken from someone else's study, and then used as a measure of quality of life isn't absolute though is it? It's all relative to the people at the top in different eras.

So back in the 80s there was something like 19% of the population, can't remember your exact figures, who were missing out of significant aspects of life compared to the well off people of the time, now in recent years there are apparently around 30% that are missing out on a fair chunk of what more affluent people can afford to do at the moment.

That doesn't mean that people's quality of life is now worse than it was 30 years ago, not even close.

All you're showing is a bigger jump between the haves and have nots than there was 30 years ago.

What activities/products did people have to miss out on 30 years ago to be classed as impoverished? Unable to heat their house, properly feed their families, that sort of thing?

How about now? Are people missing relative luxuries like the internet or Sky television now classed as being in the same state?

I bet it's a much better life being 'impoverished' now than it was 30 years ago, even if more people are falling victim to that scenario.

Like I said earlier, 65% of people had Central Heating in 1983, so you would guess the 35% wouldn't be even be close to the temperatures that the people who can't afford to heat their houses today can get to.

By the way THM, we aren't arguing that poverty is not an issue in the UK today and yes, there is more that should be done to remove that poverty, we are arguing the case that living standard's are better today than 30 years ago.

Mark with all respect they are not my statistics. They are from a recognised government agency, from Oxfam , from Dr barnados ect.

You say it's better to be poor today, but their was much more support for the poor then. This crisis is being paid for by the poor.
The unemployed, the disabled and agencies that help these people are being castigated, for a crisis the speculators, banks and multinationals caused.

PEOPLES EXPECTATIONS HAVE CHANGED BECAUSE THE STANDARD OF LIVING HAS IMPROVED.

Mark with all respect they are not my statistics. They are from a recognised government agency, from Oxfam , from Dr barnados ect.

You say it's better to be poor today, but their was much more support for the poor then. This crisis is being paid for by the poor.
The unemployed, the disabled and agencies that help these people are being castigated, for a crisis the speculators, banks and multinationals caused.

I'm not arguing against the statistics, i'm arguing against your interpretation of them, they don't relfect what you're trying to say.

I'm not arguing against the statistics, i'm arguing against your interpretation of them, they don't relfect what you're trying to say.

I'm trying to say there is more poverty. I don't need to interpret the statistics. They say there is more poverty than 30 years ago.Which is what I'm saying.
You need to interpret them, hoping it will change what they say,.
But it's not working.

Back