• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Farage Ltd and Similar Watch

The real issue is in somewhat less dramatic terms but has had a definite impact on many people; wages have been largely static for five years or so while the cost of living has risen relatively steeply. The immediate result being in the increased success of Aldi/Lidl and the decline of the likes of Tesco. People have had to start shopping smarter and have quickly realised that it isn't important to have 20 choices of washing powder, one will do. The low cost model should dominate one end of the market now, Waitrose pitch to a certain audience at the other end and do it well.

You were on roughly £37.5k per year when the national average was £6k. That's pretty good going and £40k (your listed wage) is still £16k above the average wage now. I have little sympathy for a price correction as dramatic as that.

Just for information the average price if milk has risen 275% and loaf of bread 335% from 1983 to 2013. The average wage has gone up just shy of 400%.

My wife just told me I was earning that in 1988 not 85 . Of course I lived in a boom area. There was a very big north south divide. I lived in a new town it was a very good place to be at the time.

Of course, we can pick out products that were cheaper or more expensive.

This is the the important part to remember Johnny.....
Today 33% of the UK population suffers from multiple deprivation by the standards set by the public. It was 14% in 1983. .

In 1982/83 I was on £35 per week on a YTS!
I consider myself "working class" (whatever that means now). My father worked his butt off to support the family and while we were at home, we payed in to the pot for the family home.(£20 of my income was handed over) I could still afford to do the things I wanted to do, like go out with friends for a drink.
I now feel that I am in a much better position financially. I don't have a mortgage but despite the wage freezes that some have had to endure I have continued to have wage increases year on year.
I'd rather be in the position I'm in now than the way it was in the 80's when considering the increase in food prices compared to the increase in earnings.

There are currently 3.5 million children living in poverty in the UK. That’s almost a third of all children. 1.6 million of these children live in severe poverty . In the UK 63% of children living in poverty are in a family where someone works .

In 1983/1984 I earnt between £130 to £150 a day, £650 to £750 per week. I rented a house for £200. Bricklayers today in the town I stay in are on about £150 to £180 a day, ( I think). To rent the same house would be about a £1000 per month.

I do a different thing now and am very lucky.
Because I'm better off doesn't get away from the fact that there is more poverty today. People are poorer when they work than they were. I can't remember people working and being so poor. Many things were free then. Dentists, prescriptions, ect.

Maybe we should be looking to the future now. To see what we can make better for our kids, when they grow up.

You must have been throwing them down at world record pace, any chance I could tempt you out of retirement?

You must have been throwing them down at world record pace, any chance I could tempt you out of retirement?

hahhaha, no. The crack has gone out of the building trade, I have been told. My mates who are still in it, say things are starting to pick up again, money wise.
They were good times, but I do something completely different now.

The UK is the world's sixth largest economy, yet 1 in 5 of the UK population live below our official poverty line, meaning that they experience life as a daily struggle.

"Oxfam's vision is for everyone in the UK to have enough to live on, and for all men, women and children to be treated with respect and dignity no matter how much money they have. We believe it is unacceptable that over 13 million people in the UK do not have enough to live on, and most do not have the power to speak out about what this feels like and why it is wrong. We work with others to achieve a fairer and more equal country, in which everyone in the UK can live free from poverty and shame".

Professor David Gordon is from the Townsend Centre for International Poverty Research at the University of Bristol, which led the project involving 14,559 people in the UK.

''The coalition Government aimed to eradicate poverty by tackling the causes of poverty. Their strategy has clearly failed,'' Prof Gordon said.

''The available high-quality scientific evidence shows that poverty and deprivation have increased since 2010, the poor are suffering from deeper poverty and the gap between the rich and poor is widening.''

The research was conducted by the University of Bristol, Heriot-Watt University, the Open University, Queen's University Belfast, University of Glasgow, University of Oxford, University of Birmingham, University of York, the National Centre for Social Research and Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency.

It found around 5.5 million adults go without essential clothing, while 2.5 million children live in damp homes. Around 1.5 million children live in households that cannot afford to heat their home.

One in four adults has an income below what they consider is needed to avoid poverty, while one in every six adults in paid work is poor. More than one in five had been forced to borrow in the last year to pay for day-to-day needs.

The study, funded by the Economic and Social Research Council, showed more than one in five adults and children were poor at the end of 2012.

They had a low income and were ''multiply deprived'' - suffering from three or more deprivations such as a lack of food, heating and clothing due to not having enough money.

I thought this was a thread about those friendly UKIP loons who want to take us back to the good old days of the 50's where women stayed at home, men went down the pub and everyone was nice and English? The thread seems to have become filled with random stat attacks!

Professor David Gordon of the Townsend Centre for International Poverty Research at the University of Bristol, said: "The coalition government aimed to eradicate poverty by tackling the causes of poverty. Their strategy has clearly failed. The available high-quality scientific evidence shows that poverty and deprivation have increased. The poor are suffering from deeper poverty and the gap between the rich and poor is widening."

Led by the University of Bristol and funded by the Economic and Social Research Council, the PSE project's research will be presented to the conference and published in full this week. Gordon said he had been shocked by some of the findings. "In the early 1980s we assumed life was going to get better. For many it has, for many it hasn't."

I thought this was a thread about those friendly UKIP loons who want to take us back to the good old days of the 50's where women stayed at home, men went down the pub and everyone was nice and English? The thread seems to have become filled with random stat attacks!

Not at all. When posters say they don't see poverty at all, or we are better off now, they are only personal opinions.
I said that the standard of living has fallen in the UK, that poverty is rife. I have put up statistics and statements from some of the most knowledgeable people on the subject.

I would agree that UKIP are loons. The question is how do you get rid of them. I think the answer is a more caring and equal society. A society that educates it's young and doesn't depend on keep bringing cheaper labour from abroad. If they do bring immigrants for the love of god, treat them the same as us and give them the same benefits , health cover ect.

There is a high percentage of voters, of all the main parties that have had enough. You can't keep telling people things are fine, when they struggle to get by each month.

I'm going to have a little rest from this thread. I have made my point, if you agree with it or not. Too time consuming now.

:icon_lol:

The United States is the biggest economy on earth. You might want to look at how many people are in poverty over the pond.

How does life for those in poverty now compare to those who were in poverty 30 years ago?

There may be a larger portion of the population considered to be poverty stricken these days but I'd guess it's still a better life than being poverty stricken 30 years ago.

I think those stats highlight a bigger divide between the rich and poor, the haves and have nots, compared to a more gradual distribution of years ago. Not necessarily a definite, life was better then because there were less people in poverty.

Exactly, he seems to flit from one argument to another.

And your last sentence is basically the conclusion in his report.

How does life for those in poverty now compare to those who were in poverty 30 years ago?

There may be a larger portion of the population considered to be poverty stricken these days but I'd guess it's still a better life than being poverty stricken 30 years ago.

I think those stats highlight a bigger divide between the rich and poor, the haves and have nots, compared to a more gradual distribution of years ago. Not necessarily a definite, life was better then because there were less people in poverty.

I agree with a lot of your post.

Can you give a summary of what it is please because so far I think you have about 40 points of view. Seems that when one is challenged you go change. Its bloody confusing

One point of view, with many reasons why I have that point of view.

Maybe you need to explain that point better then because from this angle its all over the shop

Maybe you need to explain that point better then because from this angle its all over the shop

That's your point of view and you are entitled to it. You are wrong and have made no worth while points yourself. If you had I might take your criticism more seriously.
Looks like you are trying to help a few mates out, who put up a very weak performance.
You will need to do better than that Kenny.

Back