• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Farage Ltd and Similar Watch

Things seemed to have improved for my family over my lifetime.

We're in a bigger, newer house on a nicer estate than the house i was born into, believe the parents are mortgage free now too, as are both grandparents. My mom now only works about 10 hours a week just to keep herself busy every now and again, her eldest brother managed to retire in his mid-fifties with no financial worries.

Although i probably would've hoped to have flown the family nest by this age but think i'd struggle to cope financially if i did so at the moment, probably not helped by me wasting at least 2 years, took me 5 years to complete a 3 year degree and then spent another year half arseing a job search when i had finished so probably a good 3 years behind my peers on that side of things. Still manage to save a good amount each month to build towards that goal though, would probably be able to afford moving out if these bastards gave me a company car with a fuel card at a pinch, certainly do-able if they through a bit of extra cash into my salary with it.

Happy for you SLA.

Big business always blames the global crisis, when they impose a wage freeze, or your rent, fuel, heating bills or food bills go up.

Maybe so and I certainly am not sticking up for the capitalist system, but what makes you think the majority of people are worse off than they were 30 years ago?

I supported the miners. I think you would find they would have been against globalisation. I don't think many would have voted for this Labour party.

Yes, but I'm sure their standard of living wasn't great in 1984.

The availability and affordability of 'luxury items' alone would mean that peoples living standard today is better than 30 years ago.

We can keep telling British people they are better off now, than before. Telling them they have never had it so good. But they live in the real world. Of course some people are better off, but the living standards of the average person in the UK have fallen.

UKIP are doing well because many people blame immigration for the fall in their living standards. The Tory party and Labour are lurching to the right because many of their supporters think the same.
I don't blame immigrants, but multinationals and big business. At the end of the day all the main political parties in the UK should be ashamed of bowing to greed and short term gain for a few, at the expense of the country and the vast majority of it's population.

I see the Daily Mail has reached Spain and found the correct reader profile to be...................immigrants.

I see the Daily Mail has reached Spain and found the correct reader profile to be...................immigrants.

Johnny ( the slave master) 75, I've been waiting for you.Found any more immigrants to exploit? Hahaha

Strangely enough there is no place for the UKIP stance here.
Here we have PODEMOS PARTY ( WE CAN party) ultra left wing. Funded by Venezuela. They really are crazy. Out of Europe, don't pay the national debt ect. Maybe a few on this thread should do a country swap. They also want open borders and no immigration controls.

I guess much depends on how you quantify living standards. If you are referring to disposable income then there's no doubt that we are better off now than 30 years ago, but worse off since 2008. Our financial crisis in each of those decades were under he stewardship of what would normally be considered right wing governments. Just saying.

Yes, but I'm sure their standard of living wasn't great in 1984.

The availability and affordability of 'luxury items' alone would mean that peoples living standard today is better than 30 years ago.

Not true Penk, we never had primark ect. Do you buy better quality sports clothes now in direct sport? It's like a charity shop. Sergio Tachinni and Ellessi in the early 80's was fantastic quality. Now it is made with cheap quality cotton and is very tacky.
You only have to look at run down town centres today.
Football was cheap, rent was cheap and beer was cheap. Much better mate in the 80's.

I guess much depends on how you quantify living standards. If you are referring to disposable income then there's no doubt that we are better off now than 30 years ago, but worse off since 2008. Our financial crisis in each of those decades were under he stewardship of what would normally be considered right wing governments. Just saying.

I moved from the midlands in 78-79. The crisis mainly affected the north.
As a teenager I got a job the first day I moved down south. Always had money and so did all of my mates. Work in the south was well paid, easy to find. Wages were much higher than the Midlands, rent was relatively cheap. I wouldn't argue about a north, south divide.

Thanks for your personal message TSB. It meant a lot to me.

Not true Penk, we never had primark ect. Do you buy better quality sports clothes now in direct sport? It's like a charity shop. Sergio Tachinni and Ellessi in the early 80's was fantastic quality. Now it is made with cheap quality cotton and is very tacky.
You only have to look at run down town centres today.
Football was cheap, rent was cheap and beer was cheap. Much better mate in the 80's.

For all your run down town centres there are two or three out of town shopping centres.

I'm glad that football, football clobber, beer and rent are what you judge standard of living on.

Is there any evidence showing that, in general, people are worse off than they were 30 years ago? /QUOTE]

The PSE approach, now adopted by the UK Government and by a growing number of rich and developing countries, identifies people falling below a publicly-determined minimum standard of living. This method of measuring poverty was pioneered in 1983 and repeated in studies in 1990, 1999, 2002/03 and 2012 allowing trends over 30 years to be tracked.

Today 33% of the UK population suffers from multiple deprivation by the standards set by the public. It was 14% in 1983.

http://www.poverty.ac.uk/editorial/pse-report-reveals-impoverished-nation

Are you saying this is the fault of immigrants?

Are you saying the living standards of a country you no longer reside in are not as good in absolute or comparative terms?

Which measurements of living standards would you like to use?

Do you class technology as an improvement of living standards or monetary alone, i.e. the ability to afford things?

One in three people could not afford to adequately heat their homes last winter and 29% had to turn the heating down or off or only heat part of their homes The number of households unable to heat the living areas of their homes is at a record high – now 9% compared to 3% in the 1990s and 5% in 1983.

Back