• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

FA Cup

Spurs away for me - final FA cup match at the old White Hart Lane...! (And revenge for the UEFA cup final...)

And we should have won that. Waggy tore the Spurs defence to pieces in the second leg at White Hart Lane, but chances galore went begging.

I would just like to speak for frank and say Dicko and Bod were brilliant...Who needs goals from your forwards when they perform like that? Oh and Lambert?? Absolute mastermind... :devil:

Delighted with Lambert so far.
Football, tactics, squad rotation, all spot on. Playing Coady at right back great move, faith in Saville, Evans and Price vindicated, not scared to play youngsters either.
Can't ask for more at this stage.

I would just like to speak for frank and say Dicko and Bod were brilliant...Who needs goals from your forwards when they perform like that? Oh and Lambert?? Absolute mastermind... :devil:

Yes but goals do help...

And regarding Paul Lambert I have already gladly admitted I was wrong about him.

And what are you doing posting at 3.30a.m. Still celebrating...!

It really saddens me how teams throw the cup away. Southampton are a mid table Prem team, won't go down, won't make Europe. Today they played Arsenal at home and may as well have just saved everybody the effort and not turned up. There isn't a coherent rationale for it...I hope United smash them in the League Cup final

I agree but the league doesn't help itself by scheduling games for the Tuesday after FA cup weekend. Saying that in round 3 most teams rested players and there weren't any midweek games.

Personally I think it's a good chance to rest a couple and bring a couple in but the balance has to be right and lots of teams get it wrong.

I agree but the league doesn't help itself by scheduling games for the Tuesday after FA cup weekend. Saying that in round 3 most teams rested players and there weren't any midweek games.

Personally I think it's a good chance to rest a couple and bring a couple in but the balance has to be right and lots of teams get it wrong.

Bournemouth are a prime example. They won't go down and they won't make the top six, so why did they makes eleven changes for their third round game. It is little wonder that many teams have poor attendances at FA Cup games. If the clubs don't respect the competition, they can hardly be surprised if the fans do likewise.

Last edited:
I know I have some bolloicks crazy ideas but to me the fa cup should be a great competition. I woulkd scrap the champions league play off place for finishing fourth and instead make the charity shield between the winners of the EFL cup against the winners of the fa cup. The winners get the champions league playoff spot. That may pique the interest of those mid table teams enough.

I agree about CL but its all about money unfortunately, its crazy to get rewarded for coming 4th I. e. Nowhere. I' d like to see just the winners of the Prem qualifying plus the winners of the fa cup..........after all it is supposed be the CHAMPIONS league

I agree about CL but its all about money unfortunately, its crazy to get rewarded for coming 4th I. e. Nowhere. I' d like to see just the winners of the Prem qualifying plus the winners of the fa cup..........after all it is supposed be the CHAMPIONS league

It used to be when it was the European Cup. And back then there was also the cup winners cup and the UEFA cup. Now getting into the champions league is so financially lucrative that it is prioritised by clubs. But that does not explain why mid table premier league clubs treat the FA Cup with such disdain.

UEFA will never sanction domestic cup winners getting into the CL like that and it's their call to make.

UEFA will never sanction domestic cup winners getting into the CL like that and it's their call to make.

Don't make it right though, if you're gunna have a competition and call it Champions League, you should have won something to get in it, but I understand its all about revenue raising and not sports ethos

The Champions League is a way better tournament than the old European Cup, look at some of the dross you had to beat to get to the final stages back in the 70s. Walkovers. I can deal with the moniker being a bit of an oxymoron along the way ;)

Wish BT Sport would wipe the camera lens. Can't see fa.

Hadn't realised that the Sutton game was on a Freeview channel till I phoned someone who was watching it - caught the last 15 mins (+ the 6 mins of extra time after 4 had been shown)

Stood in that ground a number of times as worked in Sutton for 3 yrs - brilliant for them

The Champions League is a way better tournament than the old European Cup, look at some of the dross you had to beat to get to the final stages back in the 70s. Walkovers. I can deal with the moniker being a bit of an oxymoron along the way ;)

I guess its down to opinions and maybe age but I preferred the old European cup, similar feel to the fa cup in that the smaller teams got abit of exposure. Of course in purely footballing quality, you're spot on..........maybe I'm just An old romantic.....or a dinosaur lol......but I'm comfortable with that

Shameful that the Beeb picked this game, sometimes I understand why they pick the United game and it's fair enough but not with this one. No contest and never was going to be one.

Four of the big sides still in - Man Utd, City, Arsenal & Spurs

A 3 to 1 chance of avoiding one of those in the next round - don't mind meeting them, but would rather that it was in a semi final at Wembley when we can get a goodish load of us in there

Back