• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

FA Cup 4th Rd: Chorley 0-1 Wolves

xG tonight was probably about 1.00 for Chorley and what for Wolves? Vitinha's shot would be around 0.05. Seriously, what have we created tonight? That was bloody awful. At one point Moutinho was deeper than Coady.

I can accept that Fabio lacks physical strength at the moment. But he doesn't even try to hold it. Stupid little flicks round the corner all the time, how has anyone coached him through youth football to do that, these are basics?

Cutrone never ever ever shows for the ball. He never moves. So you think maybe he's a penalty box predator, like his supposed idol Inzaghi....nope, rarely to ever be seen in a dangerous area at all.

Just looks a shocking player at present and his lack of effort was enraging tonight. As Kenny said to me after the game - that was Joe Mason, summer 2017 levels of engagement. We're still paying him last time I checked so he could at least try.

Agreed on Cutrone - didn't try tonight and I think that's to do with Jose coming in. You couldn't really accuse him of a lack of effort in the previous two games.

We were wank yes. But you need forwards who can actually hold the ball while the midfield support. They couldn't hold their mommy's tit! So the playing it sidewards and backwards is a product of the latter, as all you do passing to the front line is give it back to the opposition. Raul was brilliant at holding it while the support came forward. We miss him badly.
When you pay £35 million for a player, it doesn't matter what age they are they should at least be able to control a pass into them. Silva's control is shite.

The number of people that are excusing a performance like that is utterly embarrassing.

"we got in, got out and won with no injuries"
"the pitch was terrible"
"we were comfortable"

Fuck off :LOL: the 14 players we used today probably cost about £150m. One hundred and fifty million pounds.

We could play the dog and duck, and if they held their shape, we'd struggle to create. It's not good enough, it's not excusable, and being OK with it (or pretending to be) doesn't make you look considered, or like some sort deep thinking sage that's above the emotions of common football folk. It basically makes you deluded. Like you're a victim of some gaslighting campaign.

We were fucking wank. We're boring as fuck.

I don't care that "it's the cup, the game of their lives, the pitch is a leveler" or any of that small time bollocks. We made them look like Burnley - an established and accomplished bottom-end Premier League side. It wasn't them playing above themselves, it was us having a complete and utter absence of bravery and creativity. Again.
I don't think anyone is excusing it, it's more looking for the positives.

Tbf, it's not about Chorley, it's about us. Our passivity and paucity of imagination and risk-taking is what most people are disappointed about. Especially given the fact this was close to a full strength side.

Not to piss on Chorley's run either, but weren't Derby without their entire first team, manager and most of their u-23s due to covid?
Its more to do with being 2-0 down at Wigan Away and 1-0 down at top of the Peterborough away and winning both

At least three times Chorley played the ball into Hall, he held it then laid it off to Mr Alice Band alongside him quite neatly.

We didn't do that ONCE.

£53m worth of signings and they couldn't do what a pair of sixth tier strikers can do. It's the very, very simplest thing you ever learn when you're playing up front FFS.

While we're constantly having the ball coming back at us then we are always going to look vulnerable. So we need Willian to hit the ground running because this is a recipe for disaster.

The centre of the midfield was the strangest thing to me. If we're playing with 3 CB then there is no need for a midfielder to be picking the ball up alongside them, the midfield needed to be 10-15 yards further forward. There was a huge gap between the midfield and the strikers and we ended playing a kind of horseshoe formation, so negate our WBs and were done.

Another thing to remember. Lose this game and 35 years on people would be banging on about how PL Wolves lost to sixth tier Chorley. Like they did all this week, and the last 35 years. As Nuno said in his interview he's been on the receiving end of losses to smaller teams (no offence to Chorley here) before. It's not nice.
If we'd have lost this it would have been a massive blow to everyone involved with the club from top to bottom.
As it is no-one will remember the game, just the score. That my friends is a whole world of hurt avoided. We won, we'll move on to the next round.
We have a striker coming who is Raul mk2. Watch the team respond to it.

I think both WB performances were massive hinderance tonight and gave us very little width especially in the second half.
RAN needs time to develop and as soon as Marcal or Johnny are fit I’d be moving back to the bench.
We look so passive at times and it’s deeply concerning, the remainder of the season is just about keeping heads above water and re-setting in the summer.
Like I said last week I don’t know where our next league wins coming from we need to see a vast Improvement and quick.

We were wank yes. But you need forwards who can actually hold the ball while the midfield support. They couldn't hold their mommy's tit! So the playing it sidewards and backwards is a product of the latter, as all you do passing to the front line is give it back to the opposition. Raul was brilliant at holding it while the support came forward. We miss him badly.
i agree with you about Silva and Cutrone but some of the passing into them was appalling, not anywhere accurate enough at times when under hardly any pressure

My thoughts.
It's mentality. Nuno pre game goes on about the pitch and not getting injuries, how does that transfer to the players? In a safety first approach which is what we got. His leadership is piss poor at the moment. Equally anyone that was expecting a performance where we go out and go for the throat irrespective of level hasn't been watching. It's not what we've done for 4 seasons. Confidence being on the floor means we don't manage games well which has been our MO under Nuno. Rui is a superior keeper to Ruddy by a considerable distance, but the way we defend set pieces at the moment and every man and his dog knowing it, I do wonder if Ruddy is the best option. I'd much rather fix the defending of them though

Question: In all our games this calendar year (Brighton, Palace, Everton, Albion, Chorley), have we had a shot on target in any of the second halves?

i agree with you about Silva and Cutrone but some of the passing into them was appalling, not anywhere accurate enough at times when under hardly any pressure
Would be nice if the latter ever, ever showed for the ball. It's the equivalent of me sitting here and expecting work to just fall into my lap without doing anything, then for it to get done magically without any input from me. What happens there in reality is I'd starve as I'd never earn any money at all. It'd be my own fault too.

Question: In all our games this calendar year (Brighton, Palace, Everton, Albion, Chorley), have we had a shot on target in any of the second halves?
Dendoncker had one turned over v palace I think

At least three times Chorley played the ball into Hall, he held it then laid it off to Mr Alice Band alongside him quite neatly.

We didn't do that ONCE.

£53m worth of signings and they couldn't do what a pair of sixth tier strikers can do. It's the very, very simplest thing you ever learn when you're playing up front FFS.

While we're constantly having the ball coming back at us then we are always going to look vulnerable. So we need Willian to hit the ground running because this is a recipe for disaster.
I agree with what are saying, about the lack of holding the ball up and laying it off. They said Bully hadn't got a good first touch. He certainly had a better touch than the two up front had.

Agreed. The pitch being bobbly didn't help for sure. I think Nuno's instruction to the players today was "do not lose at any cost" and for me personally that was the right thing to do today. It's not the right thing to do in the PL though. We have the defence better. We need that front 3 to be on it. I'm sure Willian in the middle will be a revelation in our play. Someone to play to, someone to cross to, of which we have none at the moment.

Last edited:
I agree with what are saying, about the lack of holding the ball up and laying it off. They said Bully hadn't got a good first touch. He certainly had a better touch than the two up front had.
Bully had a great first touch. It's why he scored so many. Fabio or Cutrone couldn't hold a candle to him.

Back