• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ex-Wolf Watch

I think GON still has a bit of credit left.
Diminishing I think, but still in the black.
I was impressed by his breakdown on Sky, I thought those insights won him a lot of credit.
Losing to the Blades kind of majorly diminished that though...
So an interesting balance here, if GON was further down the road and say, he wasn't doing well, would it be good for us to have Nuno back?
Everybody loves him but would it be a good move?

Nuno would never come back while Jeff is here. So it’s a totally pointless discussion
It was on the table last year so its not a 100% no on that front. It wasn't dismissed out of hand by either party when it was put forward so not a broken relationship. if GO has a rough month there will start to be a lot of noise regarding this happening.

That said chances of him returning are slim,

Never say never in football...

Its a discussion that will happen between fans simply because of what he did here. For now there will be a few rumblings but couple of crap results and the noise will pick up, the rumours will start before we sack GO and then we will replace him with Nigel Pearson.

While GONs performances have been mixed, there have been enough good signs to deserve to carry on for now. I very much doubt Nuno will want to come back with the current hierarchy and I'm not sure its the right thing for either party. I loved Nuno but would be saddened if his legacy were to be tarnished, things have moved on.

I just want Nuno to go somewhere where he's appreciated, like he deserves. :(

Headline from the BBC.

Nuno Espirito Santo: Saudi Pro League champions Al-Ittihad sack former Spurs boss​

Whilst factually correct surely his four years with us trumps four minutes at Spurs as far as headlines go? Loppers has been approached to take over but he's not willing (yet) to leave his base camp waiting for a Premier League opportunity to arise.

The manner in which Lopetegui left us is surely going to tell against him . Owners change their mind on a regular enough basis - he can't keep throwing his toys out of the pram .

The manner in which Lopetegui left us is surely going to tell against him . Owners change their mind on a regular enough basis - he can't keep throwing his toys out of the pram .
Ignore the noise around him leaving and the facts are he was lied to twice by Wolves on the budget. 1st lie, after talks he accepted it and changed his targets to fit. Then got told "actually your budget has been spent on Doherty and King" So he left but also to show no hard feelings bro, he stayed on and coached the team to his high standards until we found his replacement.

Outside looking in, he acted very fairly. Maybe question his direct journo link but most top level managers will have a contact in the press they use.

Plenty of managers out there get job after job despite years of being shit, so 1 occasion of standing up for himself will not hold him back.
All comes down to where he thinks he should be in his next job. He will get one but if he wants PL he is going to be limited I think.

I very much doubt it, the narrative was written by him and his personal journalist. That's now fact in terms of the external view - after doing a fantastic job last year the club went back on their promises and left him in an untenable position.

Ignoring all the rest of the noise and the 'he saids', he didn't want to be the manager of a bottom half team, that's what we are and in all likelihood would have been if he'd stayed.

Edit more or less what Kenny said

What he didn't do - unlike de Zerbi, Emery or Postecoglou - was come in and play a brand of football which will have other clubs sitting up and thinking "wow, we need this guy here".

He did a very good job here but the drama wears very thin, also we weren't ever as bad as that dickhead Lage made us look, and I don't think he currently has realistic expectations as to who will approach him. Of course he almost certainly has the luxury of never having to work again if he doesn't want to.

I do agree that there's a small overlap between teams in England who'd employ him and those who he'd go to. West Ham, Newcastle, not many more and neither of them have a vacancy coming soon by the looks of it. Maybe Forest, Everton or Villa, but the same applies

Last edited:
United could look for a temporary manager until the end of the season? I think its bizarre that he staying here unless his agent has been talking to clubs and he's on standby.

Isn't there a rumour that West Ham won't be renewing Moyes's contract? Could end up there I guess

United could look for a temporary manager until the end of the season? I think its bizarre that he staying here unless his agent has been talking to clubs and he's on standby.
Very much this...
He comes from Spain, all lovely and warm, (a bit dusty and barren in between towns ok) but he's staying in lovely Wolverhampton, practically drowned out and cold, You can only drive round the country looking at fantastic football stadiums for so long...

Back