• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ex-Wolf Watch

Bruno Lage getting a 4-0 win over Athletico last night. One thing our stupid ownership didn’t counter when employing him was that managing Benfica in a league where they financially out muscle just about everyone is a completely different prospect of managing a mid to bottom half PL side.

Bruno Lage getting a 4-0 win over Athletico last night. One thing our stupid ownership didn’t counter when employing him was that managing Benfica in a league where they financially out muscle just about everyone is a completely different prospect of managing a mid to bottom half PL side.

I still think it'll be a flash in the pan with him, he's taken over someone who was getting the bare minimum out of a very talented squad (sound familiar) and has been some very obvious, straightforward sensible decisions which are getting instant results.

Last night was seriously impressive though, genuinely didn't think they were capable of a performance like that.

He’s been doing pretty well for Fulham by all accounts, and seems like Silva utilised him perfectly in the game at the weekend. Even for him I’d have expected him to put one of those away, I enjoyed him destroying Walker

Traore,Traore'd alot at Man City. Three good opportunities and contrived to mess them all up.
There's a clip of Pep with Traore on the pitch after the game seemingly giving him some pointers on how he should be doing things.

He’s been doing pretty well for Fulham by all accounts, and seems like Silva utilised him perfectly in the game at the weekend. Even for him I’d have expected him to put one of those away, I enjoyed him destroying Walker
I'm consistently amazed by people who still think Adama isn't rubbish.

He’s not rubbish though is he. Frustrating yes, lacking the final product/quality to be an elite performer but he’s a pretty useful premier league player with some unique characteristics too that when used effectively can be devastating.

His goalscoring record is hilariously poor but he'll forever have some kind of attraction about him.

He’s not rubbish though is he. Frustrating yes, lacking the final product/quality to be an elite performer but he’s a pretty useful premier league player with some unique characteristics too that when used effectively can be devastating.
Technically no, tactically he's shockingly poor, as an actual PL player his record is rubbish.

Was intriguing in those early Lage games when he was getting quite a few chances running in behind, felt like maybe something had clicked with him a bit and added a bit of an extra dimension with those runs in behind. Could've been onto a winner if that had stuck around and then been able to work on his composure to turn those chances into something more but instead he went back the other way.

Was intriguing in those early Lage games when he was getting quite a few chances running in behind, felt like maybe something had clicked with him a bit and added a bit of an extra dimension with those runs in behind. Could've been onto a winner if that had stuck around and then been able to work on his composure to turn those chances into something more but instead he went back the other way.
Yeah, I think his best spells/performances have been when he’s been able to find the balance of receiving centrally as well as wide. He’s so difficult to get the ball off that when he was receiving inside that pocket he could cause carnage whether it was on the counter or even when building an attack.

But he’d always revert to hugging the touchline and being too predictable. Like you say under Lage, playing off the left seemed to force him to do so as well.

Yeah, I think his best spells/performances have been when he’s been able to find the balance of receiving centrally as well as wide. He’s so difficult to get the ball off that when he was receiving inside that pocket he could cause carnage whether it was on the counter or even when building an attack.

But he’d always revert to hugging the touchline and being too predictable. Like you say under Lage, playing off the left seemed to force him to do so as well.

Just so maddening to watch at times when he can't tie it all together.

Saw the clip of that chance on Saturday when he breezed past Walker, probably the best fullback in the world at defending those situations too, and when he gets to the box Ederson is already committed but you just get a take effort on his weaker foot. When you see the way he skips past other players you wonder why he doesn't just drag that back across onto his right with another touch, Walker can't do anything and he would've left Ederson on his arse for a tap in with his stronger foot.

Were the two goals at City the only time he ever scored on a genuine one on one for us?

I remember having Timo Werner levels of faith in him as he went through :D

It’s obviously not as easy as it looks but I’m always staggered by the amount of times top level professional players will hit the ball straight at the keeper in one on ones like that

The annoying thing is he is not just fast, he has superb feet. Was a genuine pleasure to watch him at very close quarters in the BW lower at times. Of course what happened after wasn't so pleasurable.

I'd take him over Hwang on the wing every single time :)

Back