• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ex-Wolf Watch

I get McAlinden gets a bad rap but as someone who’s had the most ferocious of debates with family members who are MK Dons season ticket holders, his header in 2014 gave one of the most pleasurable moments in over 50 years of supporting Wolves, and the manifestation of the strained vocal chords for about a week afterwards was worth every bit of every single tender minute.

Weird how he pretty much came to nothing after that but I’ll always be grateful for that moment for sure.

I get McAlinden gets a bad rap but as someone who’s had the most ferocious of debates with family members who are MK Dons season ticket holders, his header in 2014 gave one of the most pleasurable moments in over 50 years of supporting Wolves, and the manifestation of the strained vocal chords for about a week afterwards was worth every bit of every single tender minute.

Weird how he pretty much came to nothing after that but I’ll always be grateful for that moment for sure.
I cannot describe how viscerally I need to know their justification for this.

Can't speak for Epsom, but a few did follow them from Wimbledon. The rest are either Sky 6 fans going to a local game or after 20 years kids who grew up with them in the area

McAlinden showed a fair bit of promise between 2012 and 2014. Plenty of goals for the U21s (think Fletcher Holman now, but we were at a much lower level so he was nearer the first team) and didn't look especially out of place in the rare senior chances he got. Definitely better than Jake Cassidy and to be honest, better than a completely washed up Kevin Doyle who by that point was just chasing corner flags rather than playing football.

But then we re-signed Leon for reasons only known to Moxey and Ken, he got shunted down the queue, and that was pretty much that.

I recall that Cassidy seemed the club's preferred one of the two, which was... a choice.

Cassidy jumped like a breaching whale. Which, to be clear, is an insult.

This very forum was clamouring for him at one point. Had a real purple patch on loan at Tranmere and he was declared the answer to our problems.

He was fucking terrible.

Around the same time, Saunders was ignoring Leigh Griffiths who might be a complete chode of a human being but was a decent player.

You just can’t get anywhere with this Alan.

My parents are elderly, 86 and 84 now, still attending but have been STH’ers since the move 20 odd years ago, They are from South Wales and Kilmarnock in Scotland, and relocated to that area and wanted to watch live football. Their closest professional team is Luton, but that is a shithole and quite frankly fairly intimidating for them. MK Dons provided an opportunity for a clean, shiny, modern, safe football experience for the likes of them and anyone else in that area that doesn’t have the same sense of intense loyalty and passion to the team you have for life or the associated morality that comes with that either.

Just to labour the point, that’s absolutely no defence of those choices and as said, there have been ferocious debates over the last 20 years or so, and whilst I don’t get it either I hope that makes some sort of sense of their distorted perspective.

This very forum was clamouring for him at one point. Had a real purple patch on loan at Tranmere and he was declared the answer to our problems.

He was fucking terrible.

Around the same time, Saunders was ignoring Leigh Griffiths who might be a complete chode of a human being but was a decent player.
Another nail in Saunders incompetence.

We lost both Sako and SEB to injury, we had a knob of a person but who was actually a decent striker available so what did the idiot do ? Not play him.

You just can’t get anywhere with this Alan.

My parents are elderly, 86 and 84 now, still attending but have been STH’ers since the move 20 odd years ago, They are from South Wales and Kilmarnock in Scotland, and relocated to that area and wanted to watch live football. Their closest professional team is Luton, but that is a shithole and quite frankly fairly intimidating for them. MK Dons provided an opportunity for a clean, shiny, modern, safe football experience for the likes of them and anyone else in that area that doesn’t have the same sense of intense loyalty and passion to the team you have for life or the associated morality that comes with that either.

Just to labour the point, that’s absolutely no defence of those choices and as said, there have been ferocious debates over the last 20 years or so, and whilst I don’t get it either I hope that makes some sort of sense of their distorted perspective.
You mistake me; I personally don't abhor their decision, but given the club are seemingly a pariah amongst UK football supporters, I am utterly fascinated by it.

I've got absolutely no skin in that game.

I lived pretty close to MK growing up. I was about twenty miles south of the place. Growing up, it was Watford, Luton, loads of Arsenal and Spurs, bit of West Ham, and then obviously the standard Man United and Liverpool types - note no Manchester City or Chelsea types as they were both pretty shit then.

When the Dons arrived on the scene, it was a chance for some to get to a game, and the stadium is bloody great - I was very impressed with it on 10K2MK day. But there really is very little in the way of "home" support for them. Obviously kids now growing up in the area may gravitate toward them, but the London clubs are forty minutes away on the train

Back