• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ex-Wolf Watch

If only Terry took his own advice regarding being a manager.

After the Zamora/Barton clashes (neither of which were much of anything in themselves) he leant into it to a ludicrous degree. Went backwards horribly as a player as a result and directly led to his stupid red cards vs Wigan and Villa.

Karl Henry was a good player, it was more the abuse he received in the press and from Opposition after the Zamora tackle, that led him to try and be something he was not, that cost him and Wolves. From memory most were ok with the Barton incident especially as he is such a Cunt

Karl Henry was a good player, it was more the abuse he received in the press and from Opposition after the Zamora tackle, that led him to try and be something he was not, that cost him and Wolves. From memory most were ok with the Barton incident especially as he is such a Cunt
I'm gonna disagree that Henry was a good player. He was a functional player with a specific skill set that allowed him to operate in a system that played to his strengths. He lacked many attributes that I would equate to a good player. He had limited mobility, his decision making was painfully slow, his range of passing was small. He excelled at one style of play and fitted into the system McCarthy needed. In other aspects I wouldn't even call him average.

After a year of a midfield of mostly Ince-Anderton-Kennedy, a midfielder with energy and snap was exactly what we needed.

He was a better player than people remember, if you watch the goals from 08/09 he's involved a fair bit. As I say, he got sucked into the hardman bullshit from mid/late 2010 onwards when he didn't need to and it wrecked his game.

Did fine for QPR after he left us.

Henry's signature move in possession was look up, dither, turn 360 degrees, look up again and then pass it backwards! Early in his Wolves career his commitment was an asset but in the PL he was woefully lacking apart from the occasional solid tackle. Unfortunately by then his reputation had gone before him and he all too often was penalised, often unfairly.

Henry's signature move in possession was look up, dither, turn 360 degrees, look up again and then pass it backwards!
It really wasn't.

He'd win the ball and give it to Jones, Kightly or Jarvis, he'd keep the ball, his decision making was excellent, very, very rare he'd give the ball away, which was exactly what you need for a player in that role.

Years of watching absolute chancers like Ferguson, Corica, Rankine and Olofinjana in there. I'll have the first 4 years or so of Karl Henry over that crap, thanks.

We sort of sorted it with Rae, Cameron and Ince in the early 2000s but that was all dead money (and a lot of it, when you factor in wages) as we signed them all with no resale value whatsover.

Karl Henry cost £100k and was on relative pennies when we bought him, then earned better contracts as he went along. Clearly was a good leader in that 2006-2010 period too.

He badly lost his way and the way he disrespected Solbakken (and then sucked up to that cunt Saunders) was shameful, he is a wanker now too who's forgotten where he's from, but no need to rewrite history.

Henry's first year in the PL was solid. I felt we needed signings all over the pitch, as few would make the step up. (I was convinced SEB had it, but had doubts over most of the rest of the squad).
Henry was consistently at the standard for a lower half PL team.
As others have said, it went to pot when he started trying to be the midfield hard man. That wasn't his game.

Back