• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ex-players/managers you admire(d) and miss the most

Stowell
Thommo
Venus
Downing
Cook
Dennison
Mutch
Bull

And John Pakin who is the reason I have had a season ticket all these years.

Chanting "Turner must go", is the thing the 43 year old me is most ashamed of in my time as a Wolves fan. I still think the sentiment was right, but he deserved more respect.

I had the Turner stay badge....

Alex Rae, Ludo, David Kelly, Matt Murray, Bully, Robbie Dennison....this could go on forever !!!

Special mentions : Allan Nielsen, the best player we never signed
& Vio Ganea for openly criticizing Hoddle :)

Wasn't the badge on one side Turner must go and other side Graham Turner's gold not black army?

How could I forget Kevin Foley on my list? Absolutely immaculate in his first two seasons.

Mick
Bully
Geoff Thomas - didn't play long but excellent player and bloke
Lescott
SEB

Mick McCarthy
Graham Turner
Steve Bull
Keith Downing
All of the late 1980s side in fact, spoilt us for the ensuing 30 years
Alex Rae
Mo Camara (crap footballer but loved his attitude)
Don Goodman

Honourable mention from our current crop - Jack Price.

Yeah I think I'd have Foley. A clever, thoughtful footballer who was completely messed around once we got to the Premier League.

Lots of those already mentioned and I’ll add three keepers - Paul Bradshaw, Tim Flowers and last but not least John Burridge.

Always liked Mark Atkins, was always good when I saw him. Going to also say that I was a big fan of Frogget and was gutted when we sold him. Mark Venus and Andy Thompson another two. Rae and Cameron are givens too with me. Rae in particularly defines Scottish tenacity to me. Some of the rage shots he lashed in too!

Hard not to echo the names/thoughts already mentioned but I'm going to give Sam Ricketts a mention.

Not here for very long at all and by no means a gifted player but came in at the lowest ebb this club had been on in a generation, he was the consummate professional and was a steadying influence on the group of youngsters into restoring our dignity. It seemed a real honour for him to captain us and he really helped repair the burnt bridges between fans and club. The right man at the right time.

Others for me are Alex Rae, Colin Cameron, Mike Stowell and Bully from my childhood.

Sam Ricketts is a great shout. Can't believe I forgot about him.

Big George elokobi,not the worlds best footballer,had passion,and I thought he was genuinely upset when he went,
Alex Rae,
Bully,
Matt Murray,
Mick McCarthy,
Sako,
Robbie Keane
Graham turner,just for the dignity he had,and should never be forgotten for keeping us going in the dark times,and also for signing a pretty good striker

Another curveball from moi. How about Nathan Blake. Another labelled a lazy bastard but I thought in ower fuck up year and promotion year I thought he was brilliant.

Mo Camara. Fairly bobbins, but god he was a trier. I remember one game where he set of on one of his crazy runs, accidentally beat half a dozen players and put in a perfect cross for a goal. And then turned to the BW stand with a look on his face that was 'I dont know how the fuck I did that, but wasnt it awesome?'

Basically as if a randomer had been plucked from the crowd and given a shirt.

Another curveball from moi. How about Nathan Blake. Another labelled a lazy bastard but I thought in ower fuck up year and promotion year I thought he was brilliant.

Spot on. Sturridge wouldnt have scored half the goals he did without Blake

I can only echo Mick McCarthy and I'd add TC too - a real quality double act. On a personal level Graham Turner, Keith Downing and Robbie Dennison.

Alex Rae is a top man and a player I'd never tire of seeing.

Back