• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Everton (H) Build up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lot depends on if Neto and Traore are available for me before stating how I'd like us to line up.

But if everyones fit I'd go:

Patricio
Doherty Boly Coady Saiss Otto
Moutinho Neves
Neto
Jimenez Jota

This team for me, with Traore, MGW and Podence to come on later if needed.

I think I know the likely response but on the basis that the game plan is likely to be contain for an hour is there an argument for not just having Traore on the bench but Jiminez as well? He's not looked very sharp recently and coming on against a tired defence might work just as well for him as Traore. I guess it would make more sense if there was a better option than Campana to play there.

When he has played in midfield it has tended to be the Moutinho 352 position, to the left of the three.
I thought Moutinho usually played on the right side of CM?

No. Left, Donk on the right.

I’d play him in the Donk role in 3-5-2, he has the energy to get about the pitch defensively, and can break beyond the strikers as Donk is expected to do, but he will contribute much more when he’s there. He won’t give us as much defensively or in the air than Donk, but he’d probably give us a better balance of defensive and offensive contribution.

If we're playing 3-5-2 then I'd rather Donk be the one sitting deep. After all he's a D/DM not a creative midfielder. That would free up Neves to do a bit more.

The problem is that Donk can’t play the long passes Neves does, nor play the triangles Neves does with Moutinho. Donks strengths are his running, tackling and Ariel capability, he’s not a playmaker like Neves and Moutinho.

Belgium play him as a pure DM when he gets in the team. He sits really deep, does an ok job but literally never crosses the halfway line. Because Belgium are invariably playing some guff in qualifying then he may as well not be on the pitch.

Donk could definitely play in a deep lying 2 with Neves though and it would give us an extra body going forward if he's allowed to join in too. I'd like to see that at some point with someone in front them as a 10 or a narrow front 3 like in the second half at St Mary's. In saying that i still think it's more of a mindset change that will enable us to progress.

Belgium play him as a pure DM when he gets in the team. He sits really deep, does an ok job but literally never crosses the halfway line. Because Belgium are invariably playing some guff in qualifying then he may as well not be on the pitch.

That’s a massive waste - his biggest asset is his running ability. But I assume it’s still Roberto Martinez so probably not surprising.

Dendoncker can play those long passes. He played at the centre of back 3 for a season for Anderlecht and did a similar job for them that Coady does for us (or at least used to, commentators go on about his crossfield passes but it's not a big part of our game now).

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

Dendoncker can play those long passes. He played at the centre of back 3 for a season for Anderlecht and did a similar job for them that Coady does for us (or at least used to, commentators go on about his crossfield passes but it's not a big part of our game now).

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

I think this may have even been the original plan for him, or at least to be in the back 3. First appearances in the cup came at right centre back right?

I really liked him there in Boly's absence but he did have an error in him.

Yeah he played there vs Leicester for sure, maybe vs Sheff Wed too but I didn't go to that one.

He's a very good footballer, we should have more than him as a Plan B though.

Yeah played away at Sheff Wed on the right of a back 3 and in the Leicester game at home. Oozed class in both of those games. I think he's a perfect player to play in a deep 2 that can either hold or support with Neves next to him.

Yeah I would prefer that to be our alternative.

The 3-5-2 with him working up and down the right was a good solution to a problem last season, but it's pretty predictable in games where we need to create and be proactive. It will have its place in certain situations but not as a main plan IMO.

Was great vs Villa as we just put him into Grealish's areas and he totally shut off that channel. See ya later Jack, better luck next time. And then a superb goal.

Horses for courses and that's fine, there are some situations where it's pointless him being there though.

Its what i've wanted since last season if we play 352. Get a 10 or a midfielder that carries the ball in front of them and i think we would be frightening to play against. Moutinho would still have a role too but it would mean he doesn't have to play 50 games a season at his age with the intensity he plays at with the relentlessness of the Premier League. He's dropped off massively in the last 10 games.

One of the things that impressed me most when I saw videos of Donk before we signed him was his passing ability. I thought he'd nail that RCB spot because of that.

Dendoncker is a career DM, who can play CB. If we were to play him DM in a 3-5-2 which was possession heavy and pressed high it would be effective. Less so in this deep lying counter we play as no one else can do the running. As slink says, our problem is mindset, hopefully next year Nuno will change that.

Its what i've wanted since last season if we play 352. Get a 10 or a midfielder that carries the ball in front of them and i think we would be frightening to play against. Moutinho would still have a role too but it would mean he doesn't have to play 50 games a season at his age with the intensity he plays at with the relentlessness of the Premier League. He's dropped off massively in the last 10 games.

Yeah, might mean more opportunities for MGW too as I think you have alluded to before.

I'm not so worried about Joao, don't think he has dropped off as much as people think just too much work to do to create and opposition know if they stop him they stop a lot of our build up play. We just need to find solutions for that. His set pieces last couple of games haven't been great though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back