• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Euro 2016 Qualifiers - The Road to France

I wonder if England have ever qualified for a football tournament be it Euro or World with a 100% record before, pretty impressive stuff.

No. Very few teams have. Germany and Spain have done, as have France for Euro 2000 as I remember

I wonder if England have ever qualified for a football tournament be it Euro or World with a 100% record before, pretty impressive stuff.

Not since it became full blown qualifying groups rather than just three teams or whatever. We've gone unbeaten 2-3 times but never 100%.

For the purposes of working out the best third team I guess you have to make it all effectively groups of five. Seems a bit silly but not sure how you could do it any differently.

Hungary are going to be best third placed. Had Greece not lost to the Faroes then Hungary would be getting six points chalked off that they had scored against the Faroes and Ukraine would be through. Really feels a touch unsatisfactory but I don't see many other alternatives (bar the fucking obvious of putting France through qualifying and having equal group sizes).

Only problem with that is that France have a habit of blowing hot & cold - could easily not qualify.

A Euro without the home nation would be a novelty. (though as England have shown in the RWC it doesn't stop when they are not there)

Watford had better hope Gomes stays fit because this guy is shocking

Kane has to start over Rooney.

I'd never play Rooney up top. I'm a huge fan but he needs to get his zip back. Still the first player on the team sheet for me. Kane ahead of him.
Barkley and Carrick behind. Sterling and another wide.
I know this won't happen.

I'd never play Rooney up top. I'm a huge fan but he needs to get his zip back. Still the first player on the team sheet for me. Kane ahead of him.
Barkley and Carrick behind. Sterling and another wide.
I know this won't happen.

He's been downright shocking for the best part of nine months now. He's an active hindrance to United at the moment. I'm not exaggerating when I say that there's no good part to his game as it is.

Has there ever been an example of the Captain of England being dropped for a perceived lack of form?

Has there ever been an example of the Captain of England being dropped for a perceived lack of form?

I think Platt was technically still captain leading into Euro 96 but couldn't get in the team. Some injuries but ultimately he just wasn't in our best XI so didn't start many games.

Vardy's fluffed his lines tonight. Got to say I'd have him some way down the pecking order, I prefer all of Ings, Berahino, Rodriguez to him, let alone the more established players who aren't playing tonight.

No place for sturridge then in the euros?

I'm sure Sturridge will go if he's fit. However I don't think he's had one good game in an England shirt and I wouldn't put any money on him not being injured from one day to the next.

If fit he goes.

Hart
Butland

Baines
Shaw
Smalling
Cahill
Stones
Clyne

Wilshire
Carrick
Milner
Henderson
Barkley
Sterling
Walcott
Oxlade

Rooney
Sturridge
Kane

I think those are all nailed on, if fit.

Forwards assuming fitness will be Welbeck, Sturridge, Rooney and Kane with Walcott offering the additional option. Roy will stay loyal to his tried and trusted

Back