• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Euro 2016 Qualifiers - The Road to France

So hard to draw conclusions from games where the opposition have no intent to attack at all - three of the post-World Cup games fit into that category, the one which didn't saw us beating a Swiss team ranked in the top 10 in the world away from home, and it should have been more than 2-0 really.

I think we're ok, especially given that we've lost 300+ caps of experience in Gerrard, Lampard and Cole - three players who the England support seemingly had little time for, yet all of them have had careers unmatched by many across Europe. The whole 'too cool for school' attitude where people try to make a big deal of how they don't care is pretty tiresome. If you don't care then fine, don't comment. You don't see me banging on about Doctor Who or Downton Abbey when I couldn't give a shit about those programmes.

My thought exactly DW, I am quite optimistic at the moment, the younger players seem to be a different type of footballer.

How is the Haggis eating racist doing?*

(*thats how we decribe all Scots isn't it?)

she's doing well, nice kid, her mum did well, controlling the anti English rhetoric that was coming out fuelled by school, the press, and their friends.

Both of them admitted they didn't like the English that was tempered and is now almost entirely removed due to English Step dad, English Cousins, and English Aunties.
Hating the English is ingrained in Scottish society, and unless you actually live in Scotland you always feel it's not that bad.

My wife moved down South at 21 and stayed there until 30, and always wanted to meet an English guy, she hates the way the Scots are, and her plan has always been to move back home as she calls it when her kids are ready to leave. She hates herself for moving back, especially when she looks at her son and realises what he would have been if he had stayed in Jersey, but she got divorced and moved back to be near family.

Capello began to unravel about six months beforehand. It all seemed to start with the Terry and Bridge situation. He should never have sacked him as captain to be honest. Funny because he was doing an excellent job, he had a system (even with Gerrard on the left) where England were playing high tempo stuff and beating some decent teams.

Then he picked Joe Cole and SWP, dropped Walcott, dropped Green after one game and put in the wrong keeper, played Barry when he clearly wasn't fit, got sucked in to the players/ media complaining about his methods and started pandering to that.

There's more I. Can't think of at the moment prior to all that I'm sure. And he acted strangely after too

SWP over Walcott is one of the worst selections I have ever seen. Bloody Upson as well. And Heskey, who was both predictably shit AND managed to break Rio before the tournament started.

I'm not terribly well versed in that situation but I thought SWP was a fine player on his day.

Is he that old!?

Yeah. He was in City's team when they won the Championship (née Division One) in 2001/2. He was pap ever since he left City the first time.

SWP over Walcott is one of the worst selections I have ever seen. Bloody Upson as well. And Heskey, who was both predictably shit AND managed to break Rio before the tournament started.

It always amused me that Heskey 'retired' himself after that tournament.

That's a bit like Dean Saunders backing out of the Wolves staff weekly bonus ball competition after the Brighton game.

Thanks Emile - you certainly stopped a real selection headache for Mr Capello's successor there.

Wes Brown did it before the tournament as well. Oh noes!

Yeah. He was in City's team when they won the Championship (née Division One) in 2001/2. He was pap ever since he left City the first time.
Gah. I can still see his equaliser in the 3-3 draw away at Man City the first time we were in the Prem. His shot went through someone's legs too. I was absolutely gutted when that went in!

Wes Brown did it before the tournament as well. Oh noes!

Yeah - Wesley, you traitorous bastard.

Was it Carragher who anniounced it the same time as Heskey? We've never looked the same since TBF.

Gah. I can still see his equaliser in the 3-3 draw away at Man City the first time we were in the Prem. His shot went through someone's legs too. I was absolutely gutted when that went in!

Shit corner as well, Kennedy could have headed it ANYWHERE. No, straight to their best player.

Yeah - Wesley, you traitorous bastard.

Was it Carragher who anniounced it the same time as Heskey? We've never looked the same since TBF.

Yeah, Carragher retired, unretired and then retired again. He was unlucky though - spent his whole career stuck behind Rio/Terry/Campbell then a couple of years after he's finished, we're giving Jagielka and Smalling regular games.

What a collection of centre backs we had then. Just to have one of them at their peak now would be lovely.

See forwards in the mid 90s - Shearer, Sheringham, Ferdinand, Wright, Fowler, Cole, then the likes of Sutton/Le Tissier/Dublin never got a sniff. And this decade has seen us pick Carlton Cole and Jay Bothroyd.

And trying to get Scholes to come out of retirement too :facepalm:

The Scholes myths about him 'always being played on the left' piss me off. No he wasn't and he was shit for England from about 2001 onwards. Went three years without scoring or assisting as I recall.

Brilliant, brilliant player but people give out to Gerrard for not producing in a white shirt and ignore him? Come on. He was the worst for it.

I just checked, and it says that Scholes played 66 times for England. I thought he had won more caps than that.

Debuted in 1997 or so (definitely played in Le Tournoi that summer), finished in 2004. 9-10 games a year allowing for injuries, seems about right.

Back