• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Euro 2016 Qualifiers - The Road to France

Just seen the first goal, horrible from Casillas again.

Not surprised.I thought the Spanish FA would make changes (not just Casillas) after the miserable WC but no.

Luxembourg losing 2-3 in the end,2-3 is better than 1-2 tho. :)

impressed by russia even if we had some key players missing

Not surprised.I thought the Spanish FA would make changes (not just Casillas) after the miserable WC but no.

De Gea has been in great form for a while, he is the future, really don't understand why they're playing Casillas who is obviously on the way down. He'll be 35 by the time the tournament comes around.

Alcacer looks a decent find up front though.

I thought England were bang average to many players thinking about their own individual performance rather than that of the teams.

Lallana was our best player when he came on. Just about the only one who looked comfortable in tight spaces.

Decent hit by Glasgow's lovechild too...

Cant even begin to judge England on last nights game. 2 games 6 points is all that matters.
The second half performance was better than the second, some of that due to the Width, and pace by Townsend, and Chamberlain, Have to Agree with Nando, thought Lallana was superb when he come on. partly due to a tiring San Marino.

There was some nice one touch stuff that just failed to come off, we could have won by 9 or 10 but for the keepers saves, missed chances, bad decision.

this team was really young

Chambers - 19
Henderson - 24
Chamberlain - 21
Townsend - 23
Wilshire - 21
Sterling - 19
Wellbeck - 23

That's a young team to have all the shit that comes from playing for England. the press and the fas have to get behind them maybe if the players were not scared shitless abut being crucified by the press and fans they would play better!

Average age of 25, mainly due to Hart, and Rooney, Jagielka, and Cahill

Given last nights team how would we start Sunday

-------------------------------Hart-----------------------------------------

Clyne-----------Jag-----------------Cahill----------------------Gibbs

----------------------------Wilshire-----------------------------------

------Townsend-------------------------------Ox-------------------

--------------------------Lallana-----------------------------------

------------------------------------Rooney------------------------

---------------------Wellbeck-------------------------------------

I toyed with the idea of keeping Sterling at the point, and replacing Rooney with Lallana, that I would love to see at some point, the pace, Balance, and feet of those 2 with the power of Wellbeck would cause any team in the world problems.

Defensive Midfield is a problem for me, interesting that Huddlestone was mentioned last night, probably would prefer him to anyone else in the holding role, I think Wilshire needs to play further forward. Ideally Ox on the Right, and WIlshire on the left of the diamond.

Against teams that are looking to camp deep, we have to play a flat 4 in midfield, with Width and Pace

Lallana was our best player when he came on. Just about the only one who looked comfortable in tight spaces.

Decent hit by Glasgow's lovechild too...

Yet England players repeatedly run into congestion rather than opening up space for each other, they dont trust their own and each others technical ability.

Given last nights team how would we start Sunday

-------------------------------Hart-----------------------------------------

Clyne-----------Jag-----------------Cahill----------------------Gibbs

----------------------------Wilshire-----------------------------------

------Townsend-------------------------------Ox-------------------

--------------------------Lallana-----------------------------------

------------------------------------Rooney------------------------

---------------------Wellbeck-------------------------------------

I toyed with the idea of keeping Sterling at the point, and replacing Rooney with Lallana, that I would love to see at some point, the pace, Balance, and feet of those 2 with the power of Wellbeck would cause any team in the world problems.

Defensive Midfield is a problem for me, interesting that Huddlestone was mentioned last night, probably would prefer him to anyone else in the holding role, I think Wilshire needs to play further forward. Ideally Ox on the Right, and WIlshire on the left of the diamond.

Against teams that are looking to camp deep, we have to play a flat 4 in midfield, with Width and Pace

:ursofunny:

Got to love Football Fans Humour

Man of the Match last night (got 63% of the vote), as voted for by the fans....

10659239_841853659180181_6114269583049481227_n.png

:ursofunny:

Playing well for Arsenal, even Wenger is commending his pace and power, strong boy, and since his move to Arsenal, scored goals for them and for England.

He is playing really well through the middle, really impressed, excellent finisher, not sure he would have missed either of those chances Rooney had last night

I don't think he's a bad player but it's not like power is his biggest asset, the next Drogba he ain't.

Where is the width glasgow?

Got very bored very quick last night.
Chambers isn't ready for international football yet. Plenty more to learn.
Gibbs didn't get forward enough.
Henderson was (imo) absolutely dire last night.
Formation at the start was poor. Oxlade Chamberlain showed a bit of running at them as well as width caused them issues. It took us 45 mins to work that out? Starting line up was all wrong.

Where is the width glasgow?

Got very bored very quick last night.
Chambers isn't ready for international football yet. Plenty more to learn.
Gibbs didn't get forward enough.
Henderson was (imo) absolutely dire last night.
Formation at the start was poor. Oxlade Chamberlain showed a bit of running at them as well as width caused them issues. It took us 45 mins to work that out? Starting line up was all wrong.

Lemon said that at Half time, when your playing against these teams that will camp outside the box, you need width and we had none, kept going through the middle, we needed to get some width.
Against these teams I would go 442

The problem with that is thanks to Platini's nutbar idea to expand the tournament, most of our qualifying games are against low-ranked opposition. No-one in the group other than us and Switzerland (who have lost both games without scoring) are ranked inside the top 50 on the FIFA rankings.

So you're invariably going to be faced with some form of massed defence...so you go 4-4-2...but you know full well that there is no chance of us using that successfully when we get to the tournament proper, and we really should be using this two year period to build an actual team rather than a collection of individuals.

I can accept the drudgery of qualification and functional victories if I can see us building towards something. Ultimately it means little to me if we beat San Marino 5-0 or 10-0. It is UEFA's problem that they've managed to turn the whole process into an unholy mess full of walkovers and virtual dead rubbers, and where severely underpowered teams have a puncher's chance of making a major finals. There doesn't seem much value to me in parking Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain on the right wing in a flat 4-4-2 when you have no intention of using him in that way when you're faced with anyone half decent.

Tough game for my Norway tonight,away to Malta.I'll be surprised if we win,and I'm not even kidding.

You didn't look too bad last time out.

Back