• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Derby 0 - Wolves 2 a five nil in all but the score tonight

We had a very hard few opening matches to the season. Well now we will turn heads. It isn't just who we have beaten, it is how we have beaten them. We look a different class. When Held Costa comes back and we get an accomplished striker in, we can walk this league. A footballing team wearing old gold and black. A team that knows how to defend, to pass the ball, keeps shape and is tactically better than the opposition. It is time to believe and bring your son's and grandsons to see a great footballing team, back at the old Molineux. This is just the start, but we are on our way back to where we belong. Wolverhampton Wanderers, the sleeping giants, have awoken.

Well said that man.

Absolutely battered them. Quality performance.

What is apparent this year is that we have a Manager who has a plan to fit the players we have (& has gone out & got those that we didn't have) - has drilled the formation into those players & as a result we look competent & composed.

Not many sides will do a number on us this season & whilst we will lose games have a suspicion that we have more than enough to get automatic promotion.

We are not at full strength yet & have beaten 2 good sides without conceeding

Superb!!

We had a very dodgy first 20 minutes where we gave the ball away too easily and lumped hopeful balls forwards. Derby were well on top but still couldn't find a way through.

After that we grew into the game and started playing our football and controlling the game. Doherty and Douglas were running rampant down the wings finding loads of space, and the goal came from a good Bright cross. Derby didn't defend it well and Douglas hammered it in off their defender. It was probably going wide but he'll claim that one.

We could have scored a 2nd right before half time, but the final pass into the 6 yard box was turned over the bar.

Second half we started like a house on fire and how we weren't 3-0 up after just 10 mins I'll never know. Jota through one-on-one​ one from his own half, but that amount of space meant Wisdom had enough time to get back and make a tackle. Then some great incisive football led to Jota hitting the post and Bonatini missing the rebound.

More great football later in the half and a one-two from Doherty/Bright (I think) and Doherty was in but hit the side netting.

Then right at the end Cavaleiro cut inside his defender close to goal but decided to square to Dicko who scuffed it and was blocked.

Tremendous performance all round other than that first timid nervy 20 mins. The defence was great again. One main mistake was I think Coady who misjudged another ball over the top and Ruddy had to make a good save. Other than that they were imperious, especially Boly.

Ratings:

Ruddy - Routine game due to Derby's profligacy. One great save low to his right from Russell in the second half after Coady's misjudged high ball - 7

Douglas - I bloody love him!! Brilliant LB. Couple of great crosses and a hammer of a goal - 8

Doherty - Much better than the Boro game. Always in loads of space, good passing and crossing and did ok at the back - 8

Miranda - A much more controlled performance this week. Dealt with Martin whenever he could instead of leaving him to Coady. A few lumped passed early on but never looked troubled after that - 7

Coady - A good game from him today. One mistake in the second half with another high ball which could have led to a goal, but he looked very assured otherwise. Plenty of NevesLite crossfield balls to Doherty too. - 7

Boly - Another man crush for me. Immense defender and just makes it look easy. Lost the ball in the second half and just sprinted and won it back with ease - 8

Neves/Saiss - Struggled against Huddlestone and Butterfield at first but once we sorted our passing out it was just too easy for them. Looking like a class central partnership. Neves with a wicked trademark crossfield ball to Douglas 2nd half.

Jota - Actually looked a bit lightweight today to start with but grew into the game and took the piss 2nd half. Probably should have scored his one on one but also hit the post and got the assist for Cav. Only thing missing was a goal - 8 MOTM

Bright - Much better from him today in terms of his decisions. Great play and pass for our second and a brilliant flick to put Doherty in - 8

Bonatini - Hmmmm. I'm very unsure about him tbh. He doesn't win much in the air, and he isn't particularly pacy or plays off the shoulder. A few bits and bobs of hold up play with his back to goal but I don't think he's going to be good enough ultimately. Could have had a goal from the rebound on Jota hitting the post and a first half chance which was tough at the near post and went wide - 6

Subs:

Cavaleiro - Went up front and took 5-10 mins to settle but we started taking the piss passing it around and got his goal with a great counter attack. Could have had another at the end but was unselfish and squared it to Dicko - 7

Ronan - Didn't really notice him. He became part of the final 15 min training routine where we passed it around to "Ole!"

Dicko - Ran the channels on the break when Derby were on their knees at the end. Could have scored but scuffed his shot a bit - 6

My run of wins at Pride Park continues! That's 4 or 5 in a row now.

Last edited:
That touch from Bright to put Doherty in was a thing of beauty.

Fantastic fantastic fantastic!

Will write up a report later but we really were excellent and already several strides better than we were against Boro.

Brilliant result. If we have serious aspirations of promotion, these are the games we need to be winning, and we are, and we are winning in style.

This is so encouraging, I am thrilled by reading the reports of how good we were. Can't wait to see this team in the flesh.

How did the porties do?

I dont see Nuno doing it, but once Costa is back i would like to see Cav playing as RWB. Considering the 3 up front would be Costa, Jota and Joselu. At that time.

How did the porties do?

I dont see Nuno doing it, but once Costa is back i would like to see Cav playing as RWB. Considering the 3 up front would be Costa, Jota and Joselu. At that time.

Cav more likely to play as the central striker I think. Much better getting the ball in the final third than deeper in my opinion.

Joselu :icon_lol:

I can't believe that some people doubted Fosun...

Haha, fair play Frank.

I absolutely love Derby fans talking about how we have an identity. I've waited so long for this

Back