• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cost of Living

Got my letter re the Winter fuel payment for pensioners yesterday - all get an extra £300 whether you need it or not. Better if they had targeted this to those who are in real poverty - yes I am a pensioner, but not needing to decide between heating & eating.

Free money is always nice, but don't really need it desperately and can cope even though, like everyone else, am facing increased costs. Would wish to find a way locally to use what I have been given to aid those in this area who are far worse off than I am - they are there as I know as drive for the local Car Link service for medical appointments & help run a charity providing support to elderley & disabled people.

Best way would be to contact your local food bank and ask what they're specifically short on (it can vary wildly from month to month). Then get an Asda (picking them as their basics range are well, basic, but not horrible) delivery of £300 worth of whatever sent there.

Best way would be to contact your local food bank and ask what they're specifically short on (it can vary wildly from month to month). Then get an Asda (picking them as their basics range are well, basic, but not horrible) delivery of £300 worth of whatever sent there.
That's what I am going to do I think - have a local outlet in the community church.

Could just buy stuff, but probably better if I get advice on what they actually need now. Got enough supermarkets around (actually not much else other than charity shops/estate agents or hairdressers really)

Yeah, I wouldn't guess. You might think dried pasta, canned goods etc would be an easy bet but they could easily be massively stocked with those right now and criminally low on other stuff. In general food banks struggling (at a really bad time as we enter winter) because people who would ordinarily be minded to give just can't, everyone is getting squeezed. If you can afford it and are willing then that's a marvellous gesture on your part.

I think formula milk is a desperate need (at least anecdotally), young mums literally can't feed their kids, but I'm the worst person in the world to ask for what you're best off buying there, I haven't got a clue.

Yeah, I wouldn't guess. You might think dried pasta, canned goods etc would be an easy bet but they could easily be massively stocked with those right now and criminally low on other stuff. In general food banks struggling (at a really bad time as we enter winter) because people who would ordinarily be minded to give just can't, everyone is getting squeezed. If you can afford it and are willing then that's a marvellous gesture on your part.

I think formula milk is a desperate need (at least anecdotally), young mums literally can't feed their kids, but I'm the worst person in the world to ask for what you're best off buying there, I haven't got a clue.
Been noticing that the donation points in the supermarkets are much emptier than they normally are now - probably a combination of increased demand on the foodbanks & lower level of donations due to the current squeeze.

Yeah can afford it - whilst we all like free money (though it's not really free, just part of the tax I pay) & I know from what else I do in the area how many are really struggling.

Went up north to the big Tesco in Banbridge (far better choice, often cheaper particularly on alcohol) and was surprised to see 2 large blue bins for customers to throw stuff into. On exiting the shop in the covered area was a large trolley about 6 foot tall full of donated stuff too. This was accompanied by a notice listing all the local groups that are benefitting by these donations. Impressive!

Not sure impressive is the word I would use, symptomatic of a fucked up country.
It's impressive by the local communities, no good waiting for govt to do the right thing, its always been the same tbh, it's completely wrong of course but its the way it is.

Inflation running at over 11%. A lot of reports that the remaining sections of the hospitality industry are getting a hammering, so having managed to survive the pandemic it looks like a lot more pubs etc are at risk now.
Sunak and Hunt have been suggesting massive cuts/tax rises incoming, and yet are now trying to suggest tomorrows budget will be caring and compassionate. Can't see how they're likely or going to deliver anything caring or compassionate given their personal involvement and behaviour across the past 12 years?

The localish Petrol Station putting everyone to shame

My nearest Petrol Stations - Morrisons and Shell currently £169.9 for petrol and £191.9 for Diesel

These guys (they did have a spell 3 weeks ago where they were more expensive than my local ones but have quickly turned that corner)
316026755_548412700625181_2297227674235643585_n.jpg

The localish Petrol Station putting everyone to shame

My nearest Petrol Stations - Morrisons and Shell currently £169.9 for petrol and £191.9 for Diesel

These guys (they did have a spell 3 weeks ago where they were more expensive than my local ones but have quickly turned that corner)
316026755_548412700625181_2297227674235643585_n.jpg
I use these whenever I'm in the area, their price fluctuates quite a lot, paid 149.9 on Sunday, still cheap though.

It goes against the grain, at least for me, but this actually sounds like a sensible option and should be much simpler for everyone concerned.
Caveat, I haven't looked that closely at the details yet.

As times go on, with more and more automation, it’s the only option. Not sure it ends well though, but that’ll be in some distant future.

Just going through our electric usage on the Octopus app.

All good until we spotted a slight error.
By slight I mean we apparently used 21 weeks worth of energy at 6am a few weeks ago....no other electricity used that day. No surprise with that much used I guess.

Hoping that is just a glitch on the app but now chasing to ensure we are not billed for that.

Just going through our electric usage on the Octopus app.

All good until we spotted a slight error.
By slight I mean we apparently used 21 weeks worth of energy at 6am a few weeks ago....no other electricity used that day. No surprise with that much used I guess.

Hoping that is just a glitch on the app but now chasing to ensure we are not billed for that.
Unless you’re on a variable time of use tariff then you’re billed off the meter read value rather than the consumption values. Check they match..

Back