• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cost of Living

On average a 900 microwave used for 6 minutes will cost you 12 c, about 10p.
Have you got any other electrical stuff?
I did everything in our house that uses juice...
Only the usual lights, TV, chargers etc...nothing we can really use less than we already do.
It was an interesting exercise but only really confirmed my suspicions that were already pretty much using as little power as possible without spending 1000s.

Essentially unless you're doing stupid stuff to start with (like leaving power hungry appliances on all day for no reason, heating rooms that don't need heating, using the heating when it isn't even cold, like today, leaving immersion switches on) then there aren't meaningful savings to be made by living a really shit life and obsessing over whether you cook soup for 5 or 6 minutes on the hob.

Essentially unless you're doing stupid stuff to start with (like leaving power hungry appliances on all day for no reason, heating rooms that don't need heating, using the heating when it isn't even cold, like today, leaving immersion switches on) then there aren't meaningful savings to be made by living a really shit life and obsessing over whether you cook soup for 5 or 6 minutes on the hob.
Yep that's the conclusion I came to, was just interested in how much appliances used in the real world and how gas and electric compared to do the same job. Its all the fault of that bloody smart meter we had installed a month ago winking at me and of course I'm retired,
#timeonmyhands.

Yep that's the conclusion I came to, was just interested in how much appliances used in the real world and how gas and electric compared to do the same job. Its all the fault of that bloody smart meter we had installed a month ago winking at me and of course I'm retired,
#timeonmyhands.
Know what you use is the start of reducing - I agree with DW there's probably not much you can do, but there might be - definitely worth spending the first month looking at your usage.

Course if you're a proper geek you can log it :)

1666009641293.png

Know what you use is the start of reducing - I agree with DW there's probably not much you can do, but there might be - definitely worth spending the first month looking at your usage.

Course if you're a proper geek you can log it :)

View attachment 6184
Pretty much what I've been doing (not logging it obvs). When the smart meter was fitted, guy reckoned we'd save money, I poopooed that. Tbf it has made me more aware of my energy use but doubt it will save us more than pennies.

My mom was wondering what was using a fair bit of electric during the day and reckons she's sourced it to the CCTV (2 cameras, 1 box). I reckon it's something else still, why would they be using loads?

My mom was wondering what was using a fair bit of electric during the day and reckons she's sourced it to the CCTV (2 cameras, 1 box). I reckon it's something else still, why would they be using loads?
What cameras are they? Are they permanently live? I can imagine that using a fair bit of electric.

What cameras are they? Are they permanently live? I can imagine that using a fair bit of electric.
lime-grove-colour-camera-ron-green-450p.jpg
???

:(

1666030205756.png

Still good job the bakers get to keep their new bonuses.

:(

View attachment 6186

Still good job the bakers get to keep their new bonuses.
One of the only good things that came out of the statement was that the cap looks like being ditched and replaced with energy pricing based on actual supply rather than based on the phoney gas price.

In theory you'd hope this brings it down by at least 1/3 which is what they hope you would imagine.

Don't think so Mr Tredman.
Going off the wise old adage 'Things that burn electricity use LOADS, Things that USE electricity use next to nothing. Cameras that are on all day will use next to nowt. They don't do anything, they just have images moving through the software. See if you can get the wattage off the label or instruction sheet.
Example, we have two main lights in our 'L' shaped hallway.
We changed the bulbs to LEDs both bulbs now are 3.5 watts. So, 7 watts to light the hallway.
If those lights are left on for 3 hours every night of the week, it'll cost7 cents a week, or 30 cents a month (or 26p to you guys) A MONTH!
You have nothing to worry about. Check the usage against my 2 bulbs. You'll be using fuck all.

Went to North Wales on Sunday. Whilst driving along the North Wales coast road, a thought come to mind. We have fields of solar panels scattered around the country, wind turbines scattered hither and thither inland, and assorted wind farms around the coast. How much electricity do they produce? Considering we are being warned that we may experience power outages in the winter, does that mean if we didn`t have these sources of energy we most definitely would have them come winter?

Kind of answers your question, the Grid is served by a blend of different sources. Renewables is looking a little low this morning, but normally accounts for about 30% of the power generated.

Kind of answers your question, the Grid is served by a blend of different sources. Renewables is looking a little low this morning, but normally accounts for about 30% of the power generated.
Thanks,

Interesting to see how we've replaced Coal as the dominant energy provider to almost nothing over the the past 10 years.

Back