• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cost of Living

yeah, we've been having a discussion regarding heating 1 room with a portable electric heater, or putting on the full central heating.
Gut instinct is short term it'll be heat the 1 room, but next month will likely be the full heating.

yeah, we've been having a discussion regarding heating 1 room with a portable electric heater, or putting on the full central heating.
Gut instinct is short term it'll be heat the 1 room, but next month will likely be the full heating.
When I’m at home alone I just heat the room I work in. Works well, but means it’s flipping freezing when I make a drink.

I've done a similar exercise for our house but I, won't put it up here because Tredman's is good enough and our electricity ratings and costs are different. But if I can add a few things...
All our bulbs are now LED's and in response to my wife turning everything off if we're not in the room, whatever bulbs you have ours works out at; 10 watts on for 24 hours = 6 cents, 12 hours = 3 cents, for instance in our kitchen, we have 8 x 3.5w lights = 28w
Laptop on for 8 hrs costs 0.16cents.
Each tv on ave on for 4 hours = 23 cents Inc Sky box
Air Fryer on for 20' = 0.16c
Phone chargers work out at around 1 cent for 24 hours usage.
Drinks Fridge 24 hrs = 0.25c
Hob (4 rings 1,400watts x 2 + 1,600 x 1 + 2kw x 1 =605kw, on for 1 hour 1.69
and stuff like that. Most of my other stuff is on Tred's list.
Our domestic rate is 26 cents per Kw/hr. Unit
Fridge Freezer works out at about 50Kwhr per month = €14.56
Immersion heater (3kw) 2 hrs = €1.74
AND SO ON...

Or you could just do:

energy rating (usually in Watts) * time on * £0.34 (if in UK) divided by 1000

We had the debate also, which is cheaper....
Use our oil fired boiler for 90 mins in the morning to heat the water for showers or
Use the Immersion heater for 90'. Ideally you should be able to leave the immersion on all day and let the correctly adjusted thermostat switch it off at the desired temp, but no. Oil fired is much cheaper. But now it's coming into Autumn and we starting to need heating.
I've got a shit load of wood to cut that going into the log burner before we use cent htg though...

I've been wondering what the difference is between running hot water from the boiler to fill the kitchen sink for the washing up once a day, compared to using the dishwasher once a week.

should have said earlier that mrs jelly and I are discussing heating 1 room of an evening for now, but as time passes it'll become the whole house!

Been hearing Air Fryers are more economical than fan ovens. Anyone got one and recommend?

Been hearing Air Fryers are more economical than fan ovens. Anyone got one and recommend?
We have a Ninja air fryer that is the pressure cooker model.

It's excellent, cooks things in less time.

It's has a roasting and grill setting as well as the pressure cooker and you can roast any meat in there and get great results.

Well worth the money.

Might keep an eye out for a Ninja at Black Friday then. Thanks.

We have an air fryer. Probably could use it a lot more than we do currently tbh.

We've had a TEFAL air fryer for about 3 years, Brilliant chips, but now we've started using it more. Salmon in tinfoil goes in there with potatoes or hash browns, I've cooked smallish pies in it, frozen chunks of battered fish, loads of stuff, chicken nuggets for daughter, cook broccolli and cauliflower and carrots in a bit of water in the microwave, instead of using the hob.
Bit of advice, as the air fryer is miles faster than the oven, if you can afford it, (It'll pay you back fast) get a bigger one around 7 litres and get one that does 2 levels, either 2 compartments or a device that fits inside to give you 2 layers.
Before you buy it, check how easy it is to clean especially when the basket is lifted out.

noticed 2 local petrol stations bumping up their prices this week.

Been doing a few experiments, not very scientific but still.
All of our heating, cooking and hot water is gas (apart from microwave oven)
We wash up once a day usually (dunno if a dishwasher would be better)
Cost with gas for washing up, 9p. Cost boiling an electric kettle, 7p, although you get less hot water with the kettle.
Shower with gas, about 18p.
Gas oven, 9p for 30 minutes.
Microwave still to be analysed.

Back