• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cost of Living

Not sure where to stick this (Liz/Royals/Energy) but...

Households could experience a series of three-hour power cuts this winter if Vladimir Putin shuts off gas supplies from Russia and Britain experiences a cold snap, National Grid has warned.

Such an event would mean consumers in different parts of the country being notified a day in advance of three-hour blocks of time during which their power would be cut off, in an effort to reduce total consumption by 5%.

The emergency plan would need to be approved by King Charles on the recommendation of the business secretary.

Why has it been announced that the King would have to approve it. Surely this is a Government thing and as such only gets signed off as a matter of course by the monarch. Is this the Government attaching the kings name to negative news?
I can't remember stories that the Queen would have to sign off the Rwanda policy.
That's odd!

Thought we only got about 4% of our gas from Russia?
In other news, after petrol has recently started going down in price (very slowly) OPEC decide to cut production of oil to 'stabilise' the price as its now too low! I'm assuming the price of petrol will rise almost immediately, although when the price of oil drops it takes ages for that to filter through to the pump price.

In other news, after petrol has recently started going down in price (very slowly) OPEC decide to cut production of oil to 'stabilise' the price as its now too low! I'm assuming the price of petrol will rise almost immediately, although when the price of oil drops it takes ages for that to filter through to the pump price.

You've got it

After the RAC said yesterday that they were overcharging by 10p per litre at the pumps still. We're being taken for mugs by all the big boys now, absolutely taking the piss

Last edited:
We do but we burn the stuff to make electric. We have to import electric from France in most winters and they'll have a capacity problem due to maintenance at Nuclear plants and other European pressures.

I guess I'm preaching to the converted on here but got our first 6 monthly water bill today after going onto a meter. Came out at 145 quid, our bill if we'd have stayed with rateable value was gunna be £576 for the year so pretty happy we've halved our bill.
Now that's for just 2 old facts in the house, don't know if it's worthwhile if you're a medium to large family.

If you have more bedrooms than people then its a total no-brainer. If you don't then it depends on how careful you are - we have more people than bedrooms but still on average save vs RV

Edit - that said its totally bonkers that its even optional. Just give everyone a meter FFS

If you have more bedrooms than people then its a total no-brainer. If you don't then it depends on how careful you are - we have more people than bedrooms but still on average save vs RV

Edit - that said its totally bonkers that its even optional. Just give everyone a meter FFS
If they knew where my supply came from I'd agree. For the past 6 years I've been paying my neighbours supply....

If they knew where my supply came from I'd agree. For the past 6 years I've been paying my neighbours supply....
Nag them - they have to fix that. Get the CCW involved if they don;t

Between ST and the meter installers they have been absolutely woeful. The only chap who actually helped was a young lad who came to change the supply for my neighbour and pointed out that mine was not the one I thought it was.

Between ST and the meter installers they have been absolutely woeful. The only chap who actually helped was a young lad who came to change the supply for my neighbour and pointed out that mine was not the one I thought it was.
All contractors I would imagine, mainly gangs who have zero water knowledge. A shared supply needs a bit of GIS knowledge to sort.

It's not a shared supply, for some reason my neighbour has at least 2 supplies. I believed that one of those served my property and it was a Quirk that my boundary box and meter were on his property.

Fast forward to a new neighbour being a dick and not wanting anything on his property so they move boundary boxes to the pavement, this is where they find out I'm fed off a separate supply which they see during the works but no on can trace onto my property .

Contractor then comes out to fit 'my' meter to the boundary box which I tell him isn't my supply and duely ignores me and fits said meter.

It's not a shared supply, for some reason my neighbour has at least 2 supplies. I believed that one of those served my property and it was a Quirk that my boundary box and meter were on his property.

Fast forward to a new neighbour being a dick and not wanting anything on his property so they move boundary boxes to the pavement, this is where they find out I'm fed off a separate supply which they see during the works but no on can trace onto my property .

Contractor then comes out to fit 'my' meter to the boundary box which I tell him isn't my supply and duely ignores me and fits said meter.
Anything after the meter or on your property is yours.. What happens if you close the valve at the new meter? If there is no change then its 100% fed from somewhere else - in older houses the water used to come in under the front door step. Have a look for any suspiciously green bits of grass too.

If it is an older property it'll likely have a lead service pipe too, that will need replacing.

Edit - they usually use a metal detector to find pipes which are lost.

Yeah the meter was on the neighbours property with the boundary box. It definitely wasn't my feed as when they moved it I had no loss of water.

The ones who did the move took a picture of what they reckoned to be my feed (Lead) as it headed towards my property but after I kicked off after they connected a meter up to the wrong feed I had a chap out and he couldn't find it. Was meant to have someone else come out to try and find it but no luck, doesn't help the front bit of my garden is all overgrown bushes.

If I stay I'll get a new supply in, just not sure on the dick who's moved in next door.

If it is an older property it'll likely have a lead service pipe too, that will need replacing.
What is the procedure with that as mine is lead all the way in, is it chargeable as it after the meter so my responsibility?
ps. sorry for treating you like Severn Trents agony aunt

What is the procedure with that as mine is lead all the way in, is it chargeable as it after the meter so my responsibility?
ps. sorry for treating you like Severn Trents agony aunt
They only do it to be nice and are not legally obliged to... that said severn trent have a pretty decent scheme to handle it. I think initially it was only for Coventry (I guess ensuring even more people don't go mad there is quite important) but its being (or will be) rolled out. Details are here:

and here

Back