• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cost of Living

If any of you are interested, we didn't choose this car!
A woman 'built it' but after waiting 14 months decided to fuck off somewhere else.
(This was the time of all the strife with semiconductors (did you know there are at least 9 semiconductors in your Key Fob? Imagine how many there are in a EV!!) so I got a call from VW wondering if I was interested...
Manganese Grey (Almost black, shit choice, shows dust and dirt all the time)
58watt battery (big but not the biggest)
148HP engine (small, but not the smallest)
Electronic pack is miles in advance of the Golf, stunning the shit it can do, including changing the ambient light to any one of 30 colours, your choice
Voice activated everything
LED lights
Auto wipers
Auto lights
Tinted windows
Rain sensors
Engine sound below 30kph
Parking sensors
Colour screens etc etc.
Anything else let me know.
Oddly enough, my car is a 2 year old 1litre petrol Golf.
Love it.
Kind of prefer it.
Mostly local stuff.

Ulez's are odd. In brum my 12 yo petrol car doesn't pay, but new hybrids, & new vehicles with lower emissions do have to pay.

Ulez’s are really muddled and just add to the confusion.

My point is everyone is focussed on NOx and getting rid of diesels but people are spending a lot of money ‘doing the right thing’ and still only getting out of the trying pan and into the fire -the Ulez being a one good example.

Six years ago I was paying £20 road tax on a new diesel car. I’ve just paid £580 tax for a 2 year old petrol. We’re being led to believe this is drive against diesels but it is way more than that and the motorist caught in the middle of the confused strategies is the one taking the gamble and paying the price.

Good luck to anyone changing their car. The goalposts are moving so fast you are likely to get heavily burned somewhere along the line - if it’s at all possible probably best to just hold fire as long as you can.

Last edited:
I'm paying the same VED for my 1.6L Diesel KIA as my mate is for his 5.2L V10 Audi R8 🤪

I'm now on a Hybrid Petrol and versus my previous Diesel I am saving a lot.

Few £ to charge up the battery and that gets me around the local area without using petrol. When just in petrol I am getting 60+ MPG compared to around 45 in the last one.

I only really do 1 big drive a week (230 to MK and back) and the rest is local. In the Diesel around the local roads it would drink the bastard stuff and when it was nearly £2 a litre it was getting annoying. Gone from having to put in at least £80 a week to £25 on petrol and if using a lot for local around £10 in electric, sometimes less.
Same - we bought a self-charging Toyota Corolla hybrid last summer and despite an expensive outlay, we are saving a lot on petrol.
I fill it up once every ~6 weeks - cost to fill the tank is €60.
Our old petrol car cost ~€80 per month. We both work from home so it would be even higher if we were commuting to work.

Our car uses the battery when driving under 30kmph, so doesnt use any juice in rush-hour traffic, parking at the supermarket or driving around residential areas. My only worry is how silent it is when running on battery - people dont hear you coming and often dont look before crossing. Ive had a few moments with kids and pedestrians looking one way and stepping out - luckily I read the road and footpaths well and always react, but my wife is not as quick. She hit a bloke coming out of a pub - she wasnt going fast and the dickhead didnt look as he was probably pissed but her reaction time was a worry.

Grindly Brook? Where do you live, Narnia?

Grindly Brook? Where do you live, Narnia?
My mate makes a 50 mile round-trip to fill his van up with diesel there and he still saves money compared to Newport/Telford prices.

My mate makes a 50 mile round-trip to fill his van up with diesel there and he still saves money compared to Newport/Telford prices.
Well, he loses all the hours a year he spends on the road doing nothing other than driving for petrol. Might cost him nothing but what a monumental waste of time when you add it up.

Just looked it up (look at me and my wild Friday night :D)

33 miles from Newport to Grindly Brook. 25 minutes in decent traffic. X 2 of course.

So to do that, over a year, based on filling up once a week:

3,432 miles worth of diesel = £4,458.17 on that price above (remember, this is just the extraneous journey that you wouldn't make otherwise because it's "saving you money")

And 41-42 hours at least to make that weekly trip.

You know, I'd pay the extra few pence a litre :D

I've posted this mad shit a few years ago, but as we're on it, my other son lives in Bodo in Norway, a reasonable sized town but not huge, (although their little football team perform brilliantly on the European stage), But in the morning, traffic coming into town pay top price and the garage on the opposite side of the road has it much cheaper, so the commuter pays top whack.
In the evening however, the fuckers change it over. Expensive going home and the few coming into town late afternoon get it cheap!
Can you imagine....

33 miles from Newport to Grindly Brook. 25 minutes in decent traffic. X 2 of course.

3,432 miles worth of diesel = £4,458.17 on that price above (remember, this is just the extraneous journey that you wouldn't make otherwise because it's "saving you money")

Don’t forget the wear and tear on the vehicle and increase chance of a crash too!

Can even Chuck in the environmental impact too if you want.

Well, he loses all the hours a year he spends on the road doing nothing other than driving for petrol. Might cost him nothing but what a monumental waste of time when you add it up.
He's retired and he'll usually make it into a trip out for brekkie. I wouldn't do it tbf but me and loads of my mates enjoy driving/riding.

I've posted this mad shit a few years ago, but as we're on it, my other son lives in Bodo in Norway, a reasonable sized town but not huge, (although their little football team perform brilliantly on the European stage), But in the morning, traffic coming into town pay top price and the garage on the opposite side of the road has it much cheaper, so the commuter pays top whack.
In the evening however, the fuckers change it over. Expensive going home and the few coming into town late afternoon get it cheap!
Can you imagine....
If it's that much of a monopoly (like, it's one road in and one road out) then surely they can charge what they want permanently on either side? Why faff around.

And how have these Norwegian folk not copped on to do a bit of a round trip and fill up on the other side one day? You'd only need to turn around wherever you can, first roundabout or whatever.

Octopus Go? Got an EV now so was something I was looking at. How do you find it? Particularly with the increased day time cost (although think you’ve got solar which might cover you in that regard?)

Can you charge up your solar battery too and then excess in the day is exported for more than 7.5p?

Octopus Go? Got an EV now so was something I was looking at. How do you find it? Particularly with the increased day time cost (although think you’ve got solar which might cover you in that regard?)

Can you charge up your solar battery too and then excess in the day is exported for more than 7.5p?
Octopus Intelligent, like Go but with 6 hours and occasional cheap peak periods if needed.

Our average electricity cost last month was 12.7p/KWh - so it’s working our really well. Battery being installed next month is 9.5kwh so should cover all our existing peak usage. Plan is to charge battery with excess solar in summer and at off-peak rates in winter. We don’t have an export tarriff as our panels were free and the supplier takes the FIT.

?
The car won’t do 1mpl
Your mileage is a bit out as well 😉

But I agree with you!

Back