• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Burton 2 - Wolves 1 a disappointing end to a good week verdict thread

A lot of our good football under lambert has been counter attacking and getting it back to front quickly which in a game like this maybe isn't going to work so well. I'm surprised and disappointed we were worse with Costa and Weimann in the side than midweek but sounds like they didn't get much chance to get involved with all the hoofball. Surely lambert should have done something about that

It's definitely a challenge for him, we can probably play our "normal" way next Saturday against Newcastle even if it is at Molineux but then it's Wigan. Got to find a way of playing against teams like that. We have the attacking players to hurt anyone.

I trust him to work it out, today was shit but it's been very much the exception over the last 6-7 weeks.

It's definitely a challenge for him, we can probably play our "normal" way next Saturday against Newcastle even if it is at Molineux but then it's Wigan. Got to find a way of playing against teams like that. We have the attacking players to hurt anyone.

I trust him to work it out, today was shit but it's been very much the exception over the last 6-7 weeks.

I think playing Edwards and Price with either Ronan or Bright at number 10 gives us more of a chance to keep the ball and create. Ronan' set pieces sound excellent which is another bonus of him playing.

Watched the goals again. Just as bad from Doherty for their winner as it goes back in towards the back post. Everyone getting sucked out or to the near post. Possibly a bit harsh to blame Hause.

Giving either of our central midfielders more than a 3 today would be over rating them. They were both dreadful and neither tried to impose themselves on the game and neither hold be considered for next week.

Dreadful performance. Evans and Saville the pick of the disappointing bunch. Especially Evans as most people have written off Saville*.

Dicko never had chance with the balls being hoofed 3 meters over his head all game.

Lambert has to take this as a loss that was down to him, tactics, personal and sun's all wrong. Marshall with an insipid debut, albeit not in a position he plays.

*apologies for suggesting Saville should start

Pointed out to me this made it look like Saville and Evans played well. They were both shite.

From what i've read about the game it seems that we went and tried to take the pitch out of the equation by playing long and going away from everything that has made us look a better side. Disappointing if that is the case as even if the pitch is shit you have to stick to what you are good. We were never going to keep winning but it's disappointing to lose at a place where we really should win no matter the situation. I am amazed that people have been very quick to judge those who have played today and are now shit again despite putting in good performances against Premier League opposition.

Which game would you rather win though...

Evidently we weren't very good today, it's really disappointing that neither Saville nor Evans stepped up as they won't necessarily get many chances and they have to make it count when they do get given a go. To create so little is poor and to concede with the last kick is gutting. But ultimately our league season is dead, we can't go up, we won't go down. It's not a result which will count for anything in the grand scheme of things.

Just to add that Sheffield Wednesday, Huddersfield, Norwich, Derby, Barnsley, Fulham, Birmingham, Ipswich, QPR, Forest, Bristol City, Burton, Blackburn, Wigan and Rotherham all currently own at least one ex-Wolves player. By no means have all or even most of them had said player(s) score against us this season. So while it's true that ex-players do pop up from time to time and knock one in, and occasionally there'll be a season where it happens marginally more often than normal, by no $#@!ing means does it happen every time. So let's just knock that one on the head right now.

That is what I was referring to. We beat Liverpool and Barnsley away and everyone is saying how great Lambert is, now after losing at Burton , we are all down in the dumps again. We can't win them all and of course, the Liverpool game was fantastic for the club.
Michael kightly, gave his all, when he played for Wolves, however there were many that weren't pleased, after we paid his wages for 2 years, how he left us to go to Stoke. Football is a short career and people like Steve Bull don't come round too often. You can't blame him for leaving, just like you can't blame fans for feeling let down, when he left, when we were in the shit.
It is true, players who used to play for you, don't score all the time, but you would have to take over half the team out of those statistics, as many players in any football team aren't goals scorers. I think, it just feels more painful, when they do score against you!

Incidentally, some bloke stood near me kept calling all of our black players "Chicken George". Is this some kind of racial thing? I've never heard it before and it was quite bizarre.

Also had some old school bloke next to me with a notepad. He wrote out both lineups/numbers and noted down every card and sub in there too. Not seen that sort of thing since the internet was invented!

Ndah used to get called "Chicken George". I always assumed it was because of his chicken legs...

Did we play 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1? Appreciate it can be hard to differentiate between the two in an away end at times!

I was in the side home terrace. Low down so hard to see clearly.

We started 4-2-3-1 with Edwards definitely playing further forward than Saville/Evans. He dropped back alongside Evans when we switched to 4-4-2.

Chicken George was also a character in Roots

I was in the side home terrace. Low down so hard to see clearly.

We started 4-2-3-1 with Edwards definitely playing further forward than Saville/Evans. He dropped back alongside Evans when we switched to 4-4-2.

Thanks mate. So that is twice we have started with Edwards at #10 under Lambo and we've lost both times while barely troubling the opposition goal. Hopefully he doesn't do it again, that should be conclusive enough for him.

He's way better playing where he has settled this season, playing sort of where Ballack did for Chelsea and Germany (not seeking to compare the two!). But Ballack always had the freedom to break forwards knowing there would be cover for him, while also not having the creative responsibility of a #10 which he simply didn't have in his locker.

Given we now have Mason (injured today it seems), Bright, Ronan, Marshall and Weimann, plus Cav to come back who I'm sure could also play the role, there is no need to play Dave there again. It doesn't work, as much effort as he'll give it. It's taken us nine years to find a position for him so let's not mess with it.

Which game would you rather win though...

Evidently we weren't very good today, it's really disappointing that neither Saville nor Evans stepped up as they won't necessarily get many chances and they have to make it count when they do get given a go. To create so little is poor and to concede with the last kick is gutting. But ultimately our league season is dead, we can't go up, we won't go down. It's not a result which will count for anything in the grand scheme of things.

Just to add that Sheffield Wednesday, Huddersfield, Norwich, Derby, Barnsley, Fulham, Birmingham, Ipswich, QPR, Forest, Bristol City, Burton, Blackburn, Wigan and Rotherham all currently own at least one ex-Wolves player. By no means have all or even most of them had said player(s) score against us this season. So while it's true that ex-players do pop up from time to time and knock one in, and occasionally there'll be a season where it happens marginally more often than normal, by no $#@!ing means does it happen every time. So let's just knock that one on the head right now.

And our record against those who s 5 5 10. Relegation form.

And our record against those who s 5 5 10. Relegation form.

Good job we don't just play teams who have ex-Wolves players then really, isn't it.

Come on mate, there are valid points to be made about how we set up against teams who aren't going to allow us to counter (so everyone at the bottom...which probably partially accounts for our poor record against them) but can the superstition bollocks. It's like believing in astrology.

Thanks mate. So that is twice we have started with Edwards at #10 under Lambo and we've lost both times while barely troubling the opposition goal. Hopefully he doesn't do it again, that should be conclusive enough for him.

He's way better playing where he has settled this season, playing sort of where Ballack did for Chelsea and Germany (not seeking to compare the two!). But Ballack always had the freedom to break forwards knowing there would be cover for him, while also not having the creative responsibility of a #10 which he simply didn't have in his locker.

Given we now have Mason (injured today it seems), Bright, Ronan, Marshall and Weimann, plus Cav to come back who I'm sure could also play the role, there is no need to play Dave there again. It doesn't work, as much effort as he'll give it. It's taken us nine years to find a position for him so let's not mess with it.
The main problem playing him there is his natural instinct is to drop deep to try and help the other two out. Especially today as they struggled. That isolates Dicko completely and when the ball gets played up to him there's no-one near him because of it, and has to do it all himself. Bright or Mason are better suited there because they stay further up the pitch.

Sat with Lycan at the Burnley game last season and we both made an effort to watch Edwards at #10, Afobe was up top on his own against Duff and Keane. So many times we'd knock the ball (fairly aimlessly) up at Ben, he'd do a manful job of holding off two blokes on his own and Dave was a good 30 yards away.

I can see why managers get sucked into playing someone like him there because his goalscoring record is ok, but he doesn't have the skillset to do the job properly above L1. He's turned himself into a decent if limited CM, stick with that.

Edit: Before anyone starts this isn't me having a go at Edwards, he's more than justified his place in the team since October. Just don't pick him where he can't play.

Incidentally, some bloke stood near me kept calling all of our black players "Chicken George". Is this some kind of racial thing? I've never heard it before and it was quite bizarre.

Also had some old school bloke next to me with a notepad. He wrote out both lineups/numbers and noted down every card and sub in there too. Not seen that sort of thing since the internet was invented!
Yes.

Back