• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brighton (A) 26/10: Build-Up & Match Thread

Welbeck is a doubt for them, which would be a boost as he's pretty much guaranteed a goal against us if he plays.

I do dislike it when an obviously inferior player keeps their place when the normal first choice returns from an jnjury/ban just because they happen to have played well in the meantime. You know they're not as good, you know it makes the team weaker and you're waiting for them to fuck up, which will harm us and possibly lose us points before you have the guts to do what you should have done in the first place.

But on the evidence so far, Sa is not obviously inferior to Johnstone. We've just swapped one set of problems for a different set.

Gaz presser.

- Sam Johnstone has trained most of the week and should be fine for tomorrow. Gaz stated that he is "absolutely clear on who the best goalkeeper is to start tomorrow v Brighton". It's going to be fucking Johnstone isn't it? :sick:

- Gaz has spoken to Howard Webb. Agreed on some things, disagreed on others. "decent chat but will remain private".

- Brought up the -20 stat that's been floating about this week. Understands why Wolves and the fanbase are not fans of VAR, regardless of whether those decisions are right or wrong.

- Was asked about the Matt Hobbs incident but said he "didn't see it". Said there's a growing worry and frustration surrounding VAR that whenever there is a check, it won't go our way.

- Said JSL had a small quad issue in pre-season and that's had a knock on effect with his fitness, but that he's working really hard and he is still adapting to the league. Really pleased with where he's at but needs him to "understand the urgency for him to get to 100%". Odd.

- Asked about Rodrigo Gomes and why he hasn't really featured. "he's been close to coming off the bench but I get to see them in training every day and for whatever reason Rodrigo hasn't done enough to nudge me in to bringing him on". "His performances have come on in training to closer to what we want him to be, he's a great kid and is out there today doing extra sessions".

- "people outside of wolves probably just think it's just Wolves moaning again" re; VAR. There's a difference of 29 decisions between us and Brighton when it comes to VAR.

Last edited:
Asked if "formation matters" -

- being in a back 5 in the premier league makes it really difficult a lot of the time. there's only a couple of teams that play this way. there will be situations where we need a back 5, but generally speaking it leaves you with a spare CB playing higher. in certain games it's very difficult being a back 5. there are teams that we will struggle playing a back 5. we're really clear around what will help us this weekend.

We're going back to a 4 tomorrow, then.

Its all very haphazard - last season we were hearing how it was all going to be so much more structured after a pre-season. Turned out to be bollocks.

I mean he's correct on the back 5 and nobody else except Palace playing it and there's a reason for that. There's also a reason why we have been forced into it and it involves a mirror.

Fwiw LL said that he thinks Sa is starting.

You know I had spent most of today convincing myself that we could get something. Not sure Brighton had been quite as good as their results, high line makes them vulnerable if we can get in behind them etc

Then I read Jinky’s post. Maybe he just wants the pay off.

Back