• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brighton (A) 26/10: Build-Up & Match Thread

Depends if Johnstone is actually going to be fit this weekend, which we don't know yet.

I'm really interested for some clarity on his comments about the keepers.

We'll get that with who is picked (Assuming SJ is fit enough)

I think he might go with Sa and claim SJ is still not 100% but ok to be on bench. Gives him time - Sa plays well he can stick with him, plays poorly we probably never see him in a Wolves shirt again.

Sa has just put in the only keeping performance even vaguely up to the standard needed that we have seen this season. Johnstone has no right starting at this level in anything other than a backup/emergency role.

Tbf Johnstone wasn't at fault for anything vs Newcastle. Some slightly odd moments on the ball but the goals were nothing at all to do with him.

They weren't. But he does show far too much of the goal to Barnes. Right footed player cutting in like that and he is rooted back and showing far too much of the strong side of the goal. It's partly inviting the shot and few others at this level would start so deep and that is one of the many things I dislike about him.

The shot was absolutely perfect. So once it's hit few are saving it from his starting position.

I mean it's us not keeping the ball (as per) and then Doherty defending like he did in League One in 2013, isn't it.

The keeper is way down the list of concerns.

Sure.

But I would think it very odd that anyone would look at that goal and think "keeper could have done more".

I mean technically, as I showed yesterday, Sa could have saved the winner on Sunday. It's weird how it goes in, right above his head and not particularly in the roof of the net. But there are multiple factors before that which cause the goal and he's not at fault in reality.

He got a hand to Gvardiol's shot too, if someone had an odd agenda they might say he could have knocked it round the post. I don't so I wouldn't say that.

Not for me. The team with the weakest keeper is always found out. And Sam Johnston is the worst starting keeper in the league when he starts.

I can't find the save that Patricio made versus Sterling, what year was that? It's insane we have gone from that level of keeper to having to a 'bargain' priced Keeper who was one of the worst performing last year but we seemed to prioritise in recruitment. Dreadful.

It's insane we have gone from that level of keeper to having to a 'bargain' priced Keeper who was one of the worst performing last year but we seemed to prioritise in recruitment. Dreadful.
Yeah but that applies all over the park. Willy Boly can't get a game for Forest but he'd still walk into our team.

That's just managed decline.

Yes but Sa is still here. I would have been happy with an upgrade on him, but we downgraded and then started the downgrade. That's more than a managed decline, it's just odd. Regardless of how poor he was versus Chelsea.

Johnstone had a very good season the year Albion went down and won POTS.
Lots of keepers in relegated teams do well on highlight reels and with thick as fuck home fans (not you TT)

Doherty won our player of the season once.

He was always championship level and watching him live I'd say mid championship level at that.

Lots of keepers in relegated teams do well on highlight reels and with thick as fuck home fans (not you TT)

Doherty won our player of the season once.

He was always championship level and watching him live I'd say mid championship level at that.
Nah, he was decent, all their games were on TV, be it he got a lot of opportunity to pad his save stats

He made tons of saves but he still has the same poor baseline stats from the looks of it.

Ramsdale won player of the season for Blades when they were relegated, despite the downgrade he provided from Henderson the previous season being part of the reason they started so poorly.

Back