• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brentford (A) 5/10: Build-Up & Match Thread

He really was.

Saved a penalty v Stoke (?) The week after though. However that was partly down to Muscat scuffing up the spot.
Home to Crewe

His debut was at home to Stoke, a late call up as Stowell was ill. Drew 1-1 and we conceded in the last minute.

Our goal is inexplicable and Segers doesn't look great on theirs, glued to his line then looks like a shot goes right under him.

Home to Crewe

His debut was at home to Stoke, a late call up as Stowell was ill. Drew 1-1 and we conceded in the last minute.

Our goal is inexplicable and Segers doesn't look great on theirs, glued to his line then looks like a shot goes right under him.

That game was truly horrific Stoke were in an absolute free fall with Kris Kamara as manager, we we awful that night. Remember the crowd goings skits at McGhee once the equaliser went in.

To add most league games from February onwards in that season were very shit. The cup run prolonged McGhee stay far longer than it should’ve.

Blues at home was a big turning point. 1-0 up and then Dele Adebola trampled all over Dean Richards for the remaining 80 minutes.

Blues at home was a big turning point. 1-0 up and then Dele Adebola trampled all over Dean Richards for the remaining 80 minutes.

Got doubled by Albion and Blues that season, the level of football was an abomination post blues at home. Unfortunately they replaced him with his minion who recruited some of the worst players I’ve seen play for us won’t name but initials are RT, SAJ, RN

Colin Lee was alright man.

Taylor was a shocking signing but the likes of Al-Jaber were an irrelevant sideshow that I doubt he had anything to do with.

If we had the team together properly from the start rather than piecing it together through the autumn then we'd 100% have made the playoffs in 99/00. We only lost three games at home all season and two were in August and early September when we weren't settled down at all post-Keane.

Colin Lee was alright man.

Taylor was a shocking signing but the likes of Al-Jaber were an irrelevant sideshow that I doubt he had anything to do with.

If we had the team together properly from the start rather than piecing it together through the autumn then we'd 100% have made the playoffs in 99/00. We only lost three games at home all season and two were in August and early September when we weren't settled down at all post-Keane.

I was only able to watch from a far in that period as I was in training or posted to Scotland. Days before I had internet so reports were limited to teletext, or brief reports which were none to kind. I caught some shit games too in that period ie Walsall at home, Port Vale at home

Niestroj was a *weird* signing in that we seemed to view him as a prospect when he wasn't even that young, then Lee didn't even want to give him a go - but yeah, he's more your Nathan Byrne/Georg Margreitter level of 'that was a waste of time' than anywhere near the echelons of 'worst ever'.

Brentford haven’t been very good, and have a big injury list. It’s a good opportunity for GON and we really do need 3 points.

Like everyone else still not particularly confident

Brentford score in first minute.
We pile on the pressure, pegging them back before scoring just before half time.
Brentford make some astute half time changes to maximise on advantageous match ups.
Half our team is gassed out by 60 minutes.
Brentford score again.
GON then makes some subs, square pegs and even less team synergy.
Brentford score again then sit back as we pass the ball around in our own half.
End.

Brentford haven’t been very good, and have a big injury list. It’s a good opportunity for GON and we really do need 3 points.

Like everyone else still not particularly confident

Yeah Wissa is out and apparently Schade has been really poor for them recently so Mbuemo has looked quite isolated.

Brentford will definitely score from at least one set piece though so we've got to score at least 2.

I didn't realise Brentford's set piece coach was Keith Andrews btw!

On Gary Neville's comments in Liverpool game: "I was equally as frustrated. Players have decisions to make and in that phase we were too patient. We need to show urgency and that one phase was too patient."

On playing style: "We don't move too far away from what we want to be, but especially with Jorgen on the pitch we can go direct. It is important we're able to build up as well. The Premier League tests you at everything."

"The players have an excellent understanding of what it looks like, which is why we've performed at a high level against tough opposition. We've given ourselves a chance in every game. We want to compete with these teams and play our way."

Pressure on Brentford match: "It's a 38 game race and I have full belief we'll get to a good spot. We'll have a good opportunity against Brentford and we have to take care of our performance. We're ready."

On Brentford scoring early: "Incredible. They are big on set plays and our lads know. We need to be ready, no matter who we play."

Needing first win: "I'm confident every week and I am again this weekend. If we keep producing, I'm confident we'll pick up results and I'm desperate for it to be this weekend, but I'm not over-hyping it as a must win."

Team news: "Santi is OK. Dawson has trained a bit this week, but not fully. Bastien is still out but getting closer and hopefully will train with the group next week."

Put it this way the “fixtures are all to hard” brigade have nowhere to go if we lose tomorrow. Brentford weakened by injuries is a prime time to get something out of them, there’s zero evidence to suggest we will.
Patchy performances v good sides isn’t evidence that we’ll win tomorrow.
If a neutral told me they thought we’d lose tomorrow I couldn’t argue with them reasonably.

On Gary Neville's comments in Liverpool game: "I was equally as frustrated. Players have decisions to make and in that phase we were too patient. We need to show urgency and that one phase was too patient."

On playing style: "We don't move too far away from what we want to be, but especially with Jorgen on the pitch we can go direct. It is important we're able to build up as well. The Premier League tests you at everything."

"The players have an excellent understanding of what it looks like, which is why we've performed at a high level against tough opposition. We've given ourselves a chance in every game. We want to compete with these teams and play our way."

Pressure on Brentford match: "It's a 38 game race and I have full belief we'll get to a good spot. We'll have a good opportunity against Brentford and we have to take care of our performance. We're ready."

On Brentford scoring early: "Incredible. They are big on set plays and our lads know. We need to be ready, no matter who we play."

Needing first win: "I'm confident every week and I am again this weekend. If we keep producing, I'm confident we'll pick up results and I'm desperate for it to be this weekend, but I'm not over-hyping it as a must win."

Team news: "Santi is OK. Dawson has trained a bit this week, but not fully. Bastien is still out but getting closer and hopefully will train with the group next week."
I read this and my only thought was who the fuck is Bastien? And isn't Schweinsteiger a bit long in the tooth now?

PS: I do know he is that young French lad who will probably not play a meaningful game for at least 12 months.

Back