• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

We have a keg of it at the mo, and its really not a bad drink, although we cant get the nice big creamy head on it for some reason like you get over there.

As for the creamy head then you need to basically gas it with nitrogen.

Why? All draught beers in the pub come from kegs.

I tend to think of a keg as a metal container, as against the traditional wooden barrel which contains proper beer.

Essentially yes.

Barrel was used to denote a set amount - 36 gallons or 288 pints.

Kilderkin was half that, 18/144.
Firkin was the smallest, 9/72.

I think they are used less and less nowadays. When I left the brewery it was mostly 11 and 22 galloners being used.

Not really. A keg is designed to be artificially pressurised to allow the dispensing of bright beer. Barrels are used for conditioning ales.

Nowt wrong with a keg. As leeds says, get one with bright ale, and it's amazing. Like one of these bad boys:

ds__keg-small-v1.jpg

Well yes. Kegs generally have the pressurised valve inserted from the top, barrels/kils/firkins used to have a Shive on the side and a keystone at the top instead of the pressurised valve.

It also came in tuns. Was a hogshead 54 gallons? I remember back in the 70's Guinness started using self pressuring kegs.

Yes 54 gallons in a hogshead. Back in the early 70's my Father was licencee of the Blue Gates in Smethwick, and he had M & B Mild delivered in hogsheads. Back then the majority of people in the area drank Mild. Back then the Birmid foundry was in full flow, and at the end of the day, the workers would come straight down to the Blue Gates bar. And they quickly consumed many pints of Mild. If I remember correctly, I think we got through about 20 hogsheads a week.

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/black-country-day/2014/07/13/thousands-enjoy-black-country-day-weekend/black-2-pm-12/

I had the pleasure of meeting the owner of Enville Ales last night - Crystal Palace fan but forgiven due the fact he makes beer, and fine beer it is too.

Cool photo!! Have you been to the Waggon and Horses on Worcester Street since it's reopened? Absolutely wonderful pint of Enville in there.

I also went to a place called The Weavers in Kidderminster yesterday. What a place that is!!

9510307195_06b879b757_z.jpg

9510307139_2592db3428_z.jpg

If you're ever near Kiddy, make sure you give it a try. Loved it.

Back