• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Yes enjoyed it. Didn't get to the Wellington but did go in Pure bar which was immense

Yes enjoyed it. Didn't get to the Wellington but did go in Pure bar which was immense

I haven't been in there yet - keep meaning to. The Wellington is still one of my favourites, but there are around 5/6 really good places in Brum that I've been to (Brew Dog isn't one of them).

I need an ale night out in Brum me thinks...

The Mad Goose in Pure was brilliant (as was the UBU and Gold...)

I need an ale night out in Brum me thinks...

You should do. Off the top of my head:

The Wellington
Post Office Vaults
The Woodman
Craven Arms
The Anchor
The Victoria

All excellent establishments. Most people will enjoy Brew Dog but it's not my cup of tea, and I trust Stanuel's judgement on the Purity bar. Plenty of decent Wetherspoons places as well (the Briar Rose serves a good pint).

Brew dog is a bit of a rip off, so I've heard. The guys did a couple of acoustic gigs there not long after it opened and didn't speak too highly of it.

I actually like the Fullers pub Old Joint Stock (?) and The Old Contemptibles too, but it's a bit out of the way from what I remember.

Brew dog is a bit of a rip off, so I've heard. The guys did a couple of acoustic gigs there not long after it opened and didn't speak too highly of it.

I actually like the Fullers pub Old Joint Stock (?) and The Old Contemptibles too, but it's a bit out of the way from what I remember.

Brew Dog is decent enough for getting people through the doors, but I just find it a bit too pretentious for my liking. It tends to glamorise drinking mega-strong ales and you can end up paying £6 for half a pint of over-powered beer. Just not my thing but I can see why others like it.

The Contemplibles is pretty good actually - it's only a 5 minute walk from the Wellington. The Old Joint Stock is a bit overrated IMO, it's decent enough but there are plenty of much better places ale-wise.

Brew Dog is decent enough for getting people through the doors, but I just find it a bit too pretentious for my liking. It tends to glamorise drinking mega-strong ales and you can end up paying £6 for half a pint of over-powered beer. Just not my thing but I can see why others like it.

The Contemplibles is pretty good actually - it's only a 5 minute walk from the Wellington. The Old Joint Stock is a bit overrated IMO, it's decent enough but there are plenty of much better places ale-wise.

Overrated, probably, but I think it's a fantastic building and good for a big crowd of you.

The Contemptibles was my local when I was at Aston Uni. I paid a visit to the Posada on Thursday. A decent selection if a tad warm. I hear that the Wheatsheaf has reopened.

Sarah Hughes Pale Ruby - fucking magnificent.

Last night we gave a neighbour a pint of Boddingtons to try.

He didnt like it at all :(

Bloody Yanks !

I sampled some awesome local beers last night, most of which were made for the Black Country festival:

Holdens - 'Ay It
Black Country - Chain Ale
Kinver - Wassim
Sadlers - Peaky Blinder

Cracking night.

My local in leeds used to be a Boddy's house and tbf when they still brewed at Strangeways the cask bitter was excellent. I wouldn't entertain it now.

Likewise. Used to live a couple of miles up the road from Strangeways, local was a Boddy's pub and used to call into the brewery tap on the way into town.

Back