• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

They make a very good point which some people already knew. I did take a small amount of exception with this though "It’s possible to brew an exceptional beer at a low price. Many brewers do. We do. Cwtch won Champion Beer of Britain in 2015, and is £3.60 a pint on cask in our pubs.". Firstly I don't think Cwtch is an exceptional beer, it's decent certainly but not exceptional. Secondly how much does it cost in other pubs? They're sort of ignoring their own argument there that selling on to other vendors will make them put the price up to turn a profit.

Otherwise a good piece.

To be fair, I've had Cwtch in plenty of places and it's not usually much more than £3.60 - pretty sure I've had it at that price too.

I like Cwtch. Not their best but very nice nonetheless. And they're not going to describe it as 'the pretty mundane, average winner on the CBoB 2015' are they? :icon_lol:

Of course they're not, but to describe it as 'exceptional' is just wrong. There are loads of beers out there that are far better than Cwtch, personal taste accounted for obviously.

Of course they're not, but to describe it as 'exceptional' is just wrong. There are loads of beers out there that are far better than Cwtch, personal taste accounted for obviously.

You would presume when they won the award the beer was described as exceptional by whoever judges, so they can use that to describe it and make their point.

To be fair, I've had Cwtch in plenty of places and it's not usually much more than £3.60 - pretty sure I've had it at that price too.

That's because cask beer is a victim of race to the bottom pricing structure by most PubCos and distributers. I'm pretty sure TR don't make as much profit on a cask of Cwtch as they do on a keg of Clwb Tropicana.

Disclaimer* I've not read the article yet, but will do over lunch!

Of course there are - it's not even close to being their best, but it's a blog by Tiny Rebel who are talking about one of their award winning Tiny Rebel beers and the fact it's 'reasonably' priced!

Plus Champion Beer of Britain is a CAMRA award, so it's always going to be a cask ale that wins it. It'll be a fair while (if ever) before a DDH 7% Brut IPA or a Bourbon Barrel Aged 13% Imperial Maple Doughnut Stout wins it.

Plus Champion Beer of Britain is a CAMRA award, so it's always going to be a cask ale that wins it. It'll be a fair while (if ever) before a DDH 7% Brut IPA or a Bourbon Barrel Aged 13% Imperial Maple Doughnut Stout wins it.

Yeah no chance of that until CAMRA gets the massive overhaul it quite clearly needs.

You would presume when they won the award the beer was described as exceptional by whoever judges, so they can use that to describe it and make their point.

Still not correct, they could have said something like "Neil Potts from CAMRA thinks our beer Cwtch is exceptional and it's only £3.60!". They said they brew exceptional beer at a low price which isn't exactly true. It is all just semantics of course and I did say I only took a small exception to it, I agreed with everything else they said, but it totally contradicts the rest of the piece plus Cwtch is not exceptional.

Yeah, you just need to look at the previous winners to know that Champion Beer of Britain ≠ Exceptional Beer

Yeah, you just need to look at the previous winners to know that Champion Beer of Britain ≠ Exceptional Beer

Just looked through them.

Britney-Haynes-Cringe-Big-Brother.gif

Some are fucking gorgeous - stop this glass half full BS! (pun intended)

Brewers Gold by Crouch Vale for example is spectacular.

Not saying they're not good, just not exceptional.

I mean, Siren Broken Dream has just won it and that is a beautiful beer. However, it's not Buxton Guatemalan Coffee Extra Porter, or Northern Monk Patrons 1.01 - which are exceptional.

Honest Brew order. The Born to Die was down to £2.50 so topped up with a couple, bargain that is.

Northern Monk - Patrons Project 10.03 India Porter 6.0%
Northern Monk - Patrons Project 2.03 IPA Mosaic Citra Amarillo Simcoe 6.6%
Northern Monk x North Brewing - Hit The North East Coast IPA 6.5%
Cloudwater x Collective Arts - Lower Than Zero Sour Brut IPA 7.0%
BrewDog - Born To Die DIPA 8.5% X 2
Northern Monk x Wylam - Moobin’ On Up Triple IPA 10.0%
Northern Monk - Patrons Project 1.01 Raw Emotions Coffee Porter 7.4%
To Øl - Garden Of Haze NE IPA 6.7%
Brew by Numbers - 65|02 Number 2 DDH IPA 6.8%
Brew by Numbers - 05|32 IPA Loral Amarillo Ekuanot 6.2%
Siren x Sante Adairius - Equilibrium Red Wine Barrel Fermented Saison 5.8%
Cloudwater - DIPA Citra Ekuanot BBC 8%
Verdant - Bloom IPA 6.5%
Buxton x Dugges - Ramberget NE IPA 7.2%

Holy shit, that Siren saison sounds nice!

Need to try a Brut IPA soon, see what all the fuss is about.

Back