• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

As the article I sort of referenced in my first post intimated, there's little point in this day and age of any major rail investment that isn't high speed rail. Sure you could lay a whole lot of extra track at the current spec for the same money but why would you invest in already outdated technology? It'd be a massive short term fix and just be kicking the can down the road for a future generations to pick up and even bigger bill to modernise a larger network built with inferior technology.

The thing is that the West Coast mainline is generally ok. Not brilliant, but ok. Capacity isn't even that much of an issue passenger wise, overall.

Meanwhile the pitiful state of east-west travel across the North of England continues and suburban transport is a fucking joke virtually everywhere outside London and to an extent Manchester.

The thing is that the West Coast mainline is generally ok. Not brilliant, but ok. Capacity isn't even that much of an issue passenger wise, overall.

Meanwhile the pitiful state of east-west travel across the North of England continues and suburban transport is a fucking joke virtually everywhere outside London and to an extent Manchester.
Errmm, as someone who 'travels' on the west coast line most days capacity is definitely an issue at peak times.

That said I get the east-west thing, the trains from Manchester to Leeds are an utter joke.

I'd imagine, or at least hope, people far better placed than you or I to make these decisions have studied the options available for this level of spending. WCML may not be the worst performing part of the network but perhaps it offers the best bang for their buck for the first stage of expansion/modernisation? Let's not forget too that there are already pretty firm plans to extend toward the North-East in future phases, so already it's not one project in complete isolation.

I'm still not entirely convinced it's all that great an idea but I've certainly moved away from thinking it's all a crock of shit that only knocks a bit of time off London-Manchester runs that I'll never utilise.

Plus most of the West County is a ghost town for much of the day (probably due to the fact that we are all retired down here :icon_biggrin:)

Errmm, as someone who 'travels' on the west coast line most days capacity is definitely an issue at peak times.

That said I get the east-west thing, the trains from Manchester to Leeds are an utter joke.

Can honestly say on innumerable trips from Wolves-Manchester, Wolves-Euston and the reverse over the last nearly 19 years it's never been much of a problem in my experience.

Not saying there is never a problem, but in my experience it's nothing like the worst route for overcrowding.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jun/07/hs2-the-zombie-train-that-refuses-to-die

Neither Steer nor Adonis worried about Eddington’s warning that commuter networks – rather than inter-city trains – were the railways most congested and most critically in need of improvement. Nor were they deflected by the fact that the existing service from London to Manchester was not exceptionally busy: various estimates over the next decade showed it at 60% to 70% of peak capacity.

It's a vanity project. Gideon loved the idea, of course. The hard hat twat.

Can honestly say on innumerable trips from Wolves-Manchester, Wolves-Euston and the reverse over the last nearly 19 years it's never been much of a problem in my experience.

Not saying there is never a problem, but in my experience it's nothing like the worst route for overcrowding.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jun/07/hs2-the-zombie-train-that-refuses-to-die

It's a vanity project. Gideon loved the idea, of course. The hard hat twat.
When I'm stood next to the toilet again tomorrow I'll comfort myself with the fact that the guardian thinks it's OK :)

I get the whole vanity thing, if HS2 were part of a coordinated strategy to get people and goods off roads and coupled with good public transport links from hubs then it would make a whole lot more sense.

It's not just passenger capacity that expands though is it? As already discussed it can free up freight capacity on the existing line and alievaite issues on the road network at the same time.

It's not going on solve all the countries transport issues in one go but what project would? If the high speed network doesn't grow beyond this then it'll likely look like a white elephant but if it becomes the first phase of a much wider scheme then it could make a huge difference.

I commuted into London for six years on the West Coast into Euston. I can probably count on one hand the days I got a seat on the way home.

Holdens have bought the Red Cow in Ackleton. Good news if you live near Ackleton.

Which I don't. So that awesome pub next to Stourbridge Junction which has SO much potential remains empty and unloved. Sigh.

On the WCML thing - problem is that you have three very different uses. Metro style commuter trains , slow moving long distance freight, and high speed long distance commuting.

The 'footprint' of the latter is huge - a 125mph train needs lots of room in front of it, so takes up a lot of capacity. So take it onto a dedicated line and the other two get a huge boost - ive seen 11tph mooted as the potential capacity increase.

Are they going to remove passenger services from Manchester-London from the WCML though? Effectively shoving everyone onto HS2?

If yes, then ok, that could work to solve a capacity issue. If not then you're going to end up the railway version of the M6 Toll Road. Presumably tickets on the new line will cost more, you aren't going to get there that much quicker, so no sod will bother...

BrewDog Nottingham are having a Mikkeller sour beer showcase this weekend and I just happen to be in the area :D

Here's what they have available for the weekend. Recommendations?

We will have the following on draft...
- Spontanblackberry, 7.7%
- Hallo Ich Bin Berliner Weisse Blueberry, 3.7%
- Hallo Ich Bin Berliner Weisse Mango, 3.7%
- Hallo Ich Bin Berliner Weisse Pineapple, 3.7%

... and Spontanlychee in bottles!

Those Spontan beers are meant to be superb. Enjoy!

Back OT

Some pretty decent stuff at the Endeavour Tap Rooms in Sydney the other day.

From left to right:

Harvest Mid Pale Ale. 3.5% Australian Pale

Growers Summer Ale. 4.2% Blonde

Growers Pale Ale. 4.5% Australian Pale

Australian IPA. 6.4% IPA

All brewed by Endeavour Vintage Brewing Company.
e6db4375f3f1b296e7197b1374a597f2.jpg

Turn out that 50m from my office, on the walk to the trains station, is a great pub with fantastic beers :)
Currently trying a Duck Under Aussie Rye IPA - very nice!

More proof that Aussies can't count. 3pm until 5pm Hoppy 'Hour'. $5 schooners.
58a78adf8f67b23f81afb788b57eeb0f.jpg

Don't think I'd quite want it at quarter to 10 but I'd probably eat the fish and chips tbh

Back