• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Anyone had this before? First of my Christmas themed beers of 2017. Will be picking up a few more for the season. Mostly Belgian beers, the Brewdog ones and perhaps one or two of To 0l's offerings.

ed1709d8b6c070cc514b517246c96311.jpg

It's a step up from giving someone an engagement ring, IMO.

True but it's better and a fuckload cheaper. I'm sure she'll appreciate the sacrifice I'm making for her as soon as she tastes the beer.

Anyone had this before? First of my Christmas themed beers of 2017. Will be picking up a few more for the season. Mostly Belgian beers, the Brewdog ones and perhaps one or two of To 0l's offerings.

Yeah - it's alright. Bog standard Woods beer so don't get your hopes up!

I had Bathams XXX last night. Now that's a good festive drink!

What are the two Marble on the left Will? And is that a Rasputin tucked behind them?

A few of these have gone now (Pogo, Gamma Ray, Biscuit Town) but here's how the beer shelf is shaping up for Christmas. Plenty of gaps to fill though. :D

attachment.php

Yeah - it's alright. Bog standard Woods beer so don't get your hopes up!

Yeah, I don't have massive expectations for it. Just saw it in amongst some very suspect looking g festive ales in Apley Farm' shop earlier. Thought at 6% it should have some decent depth of flavour.

What are the two Marble on the left Will? And is that a Rasputin tucked behind them?
Just the one Marble. It's the Verezzi. Behind it is the new BA Imperial Stout from Buxton. That'll be the beer to see in the new year. And yep, that's a cheeky can of Rasputin. It's got Christmas cheese board written all over it :D

Last time I drank that was on a pub crawl around pubs that you’d recommended. It was safe to say it didn’t end well after the XXX.

From Asda last night I tried a Boss Boss DIPA which I quite liked and a Goose Island IPA which I thought was a bit bland.

From Asda last night I tried a Boss Boss DIPA which I quite liked and a Goose Island IPA which I thought was a bit bland.

Not heard of it before, but it did lead me to this ramshackle piece by The Sun - https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/4300267/ale-expert-reveals-best-beers-in-uk/

Aside from the laziest Google Image search ever to find the photos of the beers, it features the countries youngest ale expert (who just happens to work for Asda, hmmmmm). He's got a degree so understands the science - Yeah, you plebs!! Science!! You consumer idiots are never going to understand the SCIENCE!!!!

Although:

This is a strong ‘hop forward’ - where brewers use more hops than malts in the brewing process - double IPA.

Erm, no. Not even the hoppiest DIPAs in the world use anywhere near as many hops as malts. Especially as it's a strong beer, which requires more malts to extract enough sugar to up the abv.

It'd be like using more coffee than water in your morning brew.

These bloody self-proclaimed "experts". Do my head in.

That Boss Boss is more than reasonable for the price.

Not heard of it before, but it did lead me to this ramshackle piece by The Sun - https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/4300267/ale-expert-reveals-best-beers-in-uk/

Aside from the laziest Google Image search ever to find the photos of the beers, it features the countries youngest ale expert (who just happens to work for Asda, hmmmmm). He's got a degree so understands the science - Yeah, you plebs!! Science!! You consumer idiots are never going to understand the SCIENCE!!!!

Although:

Erm, no. Not even the hoppiest DIPAs in the world use anywhere near as many hops as malts. Especially as it's a strong beer, which requires more malts to extract enough sugar to up the abv.

It'd be like using more coffee than water in your morning brew.

These bloody self-proclaimed "experts". Do my head in.

Stop getting beer wrong!!!!!

Just to expand. A standard pale ale at about 4% will use about 200g per litre of malts. A double IPA will probably clock in around 4-500g per litre depending on final abv (usually between 8% and 10%) and how much brewing sugar is used. Cloudwater, who currently make probably the hoppiest DIPA in the country dry hop with 25g/l at the absolute maximum and probably about 5-10g/l in the boil, so at the absolute maximum they'll be using 35g per litre of hops and 400g per litre of malt.

These numbers are taken from my best estimates and recollections of what I have read previously. But then, I'm not the one with the degree, so what do I know :D

Just ordered the Cloudwater Bourbon Black Forest Stout and the Speyside Chocolate Imp Stout. Couldn't resist.

Just ordered the Cloudwater Bourbon Black Forest Stout and the Speyside Chocolate Imp Stout. Couldn't resist.

Ah man, you should have told me. I would have asked you to stick a Bier Brut on the order and picked it up from your house. Plus they're releasing a tropical stout tomorrow....

Fuck I never thought sorry mate, I was talking to two blokes at work who wanted a bottle each so I just jumped in and ordered. Two of them were already unavailable so thought best to act quick. I can email them and ask them if they'll add one, I've had no email confirmation with an order number though as it took me straight to Paypal, there's nowhere to even log in on Cloudwater so no order history.

Did just order these though, the penultimate HB order before Christmas I reckon.

Cloudwater - NE DIPA Enigma Mosaic 8.5%
Brew by Numbers - 55|06 Double IPA Galaxy & Mosaic 8.2%
Brew by Numbers - 00|00 5th Anniversary DDH Pale Ale 5.8%
Northern Monk - Trilogy Hop 2017 Double Rye IPA 7.4%
One Mile End - Juicy NE Pale 4.9%
Siren - Double Iced Latte Coffee and Cream IPA 7.2%
La Pirata - Viakrucis IPA 6%
Boundary - Screwball Ice Cream Pale 6.1%
Northern Monk - Faith 5.4%
Northern Monk - Heathen - IPA 7.2%
Signature Brew - Stagediver - DIPA 7.2%
Wild Beer Co - POGO - APA 4%