• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Never seen an extract punk kit. Brewdog have released all their recipes in 5 gallon batch size and i think you can buy the recipe kits from Malt Miller. All grain though.

Talking of homebrew, in just finishing the last of the rye pale that i brewed with my mate just before Christmas. All Mosaic hops, aside from some Simcoe for bittering. It's been pretty bloody good!

2066d3b7378d180129b4f4ea71cc8c8b.jpg

Thinking of doing and Imperial stout next, splitting batch and aging one half with coffee and vanilla, and the other with Bourbon oak chips 😁

Never seen an extract punk kit. Brewdog have released all their recipes in 5 gallon batch size and i think you can buy the recipe kits from Malt Miller. All grain though.
Yeah, that was my question. How much more difficult is a grain grew compared to extract?

And does the effort pay off?

What was the punk brew kit like in terms of difficulty and quality of result?

I've done my fair share of homebrew in the past, but always from extract.

As Machin said, it's all grain and I found it relatively simple as the instructions were simple. I liked the result and it was as Punk as it was in the bottles, no different really but satisfying to make my own. Well worth it IMO.

It'll be my first go with malt extract and Cwtch is a great beer so it'll be interesting to see what it turns out like. Would like to brew some elvis juice for the summer.

There's a lot more to it. I don't even think you can really do it on your hob (presuming this is how you brewed extract) unless you scaled down to, at most, 2 gallon batches. You need a hot water tank, a boil pot and a way of sparging (rinsing the grains and collecting the run off). The effort is definitely worth it - think of it as the difference between cooking a bolognese from scratch or using a jar of sauce.

thehomebrewforum.co.uk has loads of info and threads about small batch all grain brewing.

Awesome. Which ones did you get?

3 of each :) tried the standard IPA and the Belgique so far, both equally good.

Love the Belgique. Awesome beer. Never had the standard IPA but the "Go To" is class.

There's a lot more to it. I don't even think you can really do it on your hob (presuming this is how you brewed extract) unless you scaled down to, at most, 2 gallon batches. You need a hot water tank, a boil pot and a way of sparging (rinsing the grains and collecting the run off). The effort is definitely worth it - think of it as the difference between cooking a bolognese from scratch or using a jar of sauce.

The brewkit is only 1 gallon and was OK on my hob. Not sure I'd be doing much bigger than that without an outside ring (fnarr).

Ah, i know the one. Brooklyn Brew Shop or something??

That's the one. Recipe online walks you through all the elements well. Where I'm not sure with the future brewing is if I was to ratio the brewdog recipes would they still work?

Any ideas?

Got a few cans of Stone today - not had it before, but it's fantastic. Thanks for the heads up.

There was a load of new stuff in Tesco today, as well as the Stone - Oskar Blues, Meantime, Redwell, Fourpure, Flying Dog, Belhaven, Vocation

Yeah, scaling down from 5 gallon to 1 shouldn't be a problem. You might want to add a bit more just to cover inefficiencies etc.

There was a load of new stuff in Tesco today, as well as the Stone - Oskar Blues, Meantime, Redwell, Fourpure, Flying Dog, Belhaven, Vocation

Yes they have some really good beers at the moment, got some vocation and four pure too today.

Yes they have some really good beers at the moment, got some vocation and four pure too today.
My local Asda now has Vocation, Brew York, Victory and a few others now too.

Starting my first homebrew at the moment. Fermenter, siphon, bung, airlock etc are all sitting in hot sterilised water as I type.

Have researched it all in depth and hoping that the resulting beer tastes nice.

Yeastie Boys - Gunnamata - a lovely earl grey IPA. Beautiful drop with, as the wine lingo goes, a cracking finish
Northern Monk - Eternal - bloody lovely
Vocation - Pride and Joy - from my local coop and not bad even if a little too sweet for an APA.

Back